Roof Alignment in 2000 Eagle Shell

HP415

IMG_1144 Large.jpeg

Hello All!

First time caller here. Picked up a 2000 FWC Eagle shell in January and have doing some maintenance and customization to it. I have a question about roof alignment and how to diagnose/repair the issue. After paying and picking up my camper, the previous owner casually mentioned that he once drove it into a low garage and bent the roof but at the time I wasn't quite sure how that effected the roof. Now that I'm more familiar with the camper, I can tell that the roof alignment is pulled backwards about 1cm. The latches hit almost on the front end of the catches. This alignment issue causes the lift struts to pop off from time to time. It appears that maybe the issue is just in the lift panels, the rear one is certainly tweaked and contacts the lifting board on one side. I've attached some photos for your consideration.

Hoping it is just the lift panels, I'm planning on doing the headliner/insulation this summer and it appears that lift panels have to come off anyways. Thank you all in advance!

-Paul

Rear Roof Gap:
IMG_1389 Large.jpeg

Front Roof Gap (non-existent):
IMG_1393 Large.jpeg

Right Side Gap:

IMG_1391 Large.jpeg

Left Side Gap:

IMG_1394 Large.jpeg

Latch Alignment:
IMG_1405 2 Large.jpeg

General Roof Alignment:
IMG_1403 Large.jpeg

Rear Lift Panel Alignment:
IMG_1397 Large.jpeg
IMG_1400 Large.jpeg

Where the garage contact occurred (Factory luggage rack):

IMG_1401 Large.jpeg

Paul, I can’t help with the roof issue, but I did want to welcome you to Wander the West. We are glad to have you onboard, and I suspect someone will have some advice. You might send a PM to Stan Kennedy who is with FWC, he might have the most accurate information.

Not sure what the correct equal spacing is. BUT why is there a wire routed out from under the roof through that gap?

Bingo, its wiring for the solar. PO poked some holes in the tent and ran the wires through the gap instead of cutting into the roof.

Thanks for the advice you all, excited to be part of this group. Will definitely give Marty a ring tomorrow.

I assumed what it was for but I was asking why, because it certainly isn’t gonna help roof alignment. IE you’ll want to reroute that when you realign the roof I would think.

I assumed what it was for but I was asking why, because it certainly isn’t gonna help roof alignment. IE you’ll want to reroute that when you realign the roof I would think.
The plan is to relocate the solar panel entirely and replace the stock luggage racks with Yakima tracks. I'll relocate the wiring and put a port on the roof at that time.

Paul welcome to the site.Stan at FWC is a great source.
You might also check with Marty at ATC. He might have made your camper while working for FWC.
Good luck in your info search.
Frank

Seems you are getting sound advice. How are you going to approach the ceiling/roof rebuild? Just asking because I did mine without taking the roof off of the framing as in the "usual" way and instead rebuilt the whole thing from the inside. Marty seemed to be impressed when he saw in in February of this year. That felt good!

Back
Top Bottom