Roof Latch Indicator

fuzzymarindave

Lots of projects while there is the shelter-in-place. Some are important and some are not; this is probably not too important. I will often go around the camper as I open each latch and count the six latches. I also try to walk around again a second time to ensure that the actual latch fell off the hook along with the cam handle. I don't want to bend the roof like I did once on my earlier camper. So, I affixed some reflective tape to the face of the latch. If the latch is still on the hook I'll see the bright color reflective tape. If I don't see any bright color then all is good.

Attachments

• 01EAA246-FB3D-46CF-B1D7-63AE80717379.jpeg
    01EAA246-FB3D-46CF-B1D7-63AE80717379.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 522
  • E4CBCBE1-AB12-40C6-AB1D-701D5628B3B9.jpeg
    E4CBCBE1-AB12-40C6-AB1D-701D5628B3B9.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 69F212F5-B9AF-4B18-A343-F2751CA4BCA5.jpeg
    69F212F5-B9AF-4B18-A343-F2751CA4BCA5.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 396
That is a good idea. I have yet to try to pop my top with some latches stuff closed, but I have driving away with the top up. Some locking carabiners have red on them so you know when they are unlocked. "See red you're dead." Maybe make the little hooks red so when you close everything up and do your final take off inspection you know you're good when there is no red or even green.

My company makes nacelles for commercial aircraft, and that is the method we've used in the past (and present) to ensure all fan cowl latches are locked in place prior to departure. Great idea.

m.r.h. said:
That is a good idea. I have yet to try to pop my top with some latches stuff closed, but I have driving away with the top up. Some locking carabiners have red on them so you know when they are unlocked. "See red you're dead." Maybe make the little hooks red so when you close everything up and do your final take off inspection you know you're good when there is no red or even green.
I think I tried lifting wit a one latch not fully released once, it was noticeable immediately.

I did get waved down at a stop light because I didn't latch it before driving off. I bought a bright dog leash that I clip to the front drivers side latch and hang down over my windshield. I do notice that.

I like the red latch idea.

The dog leash is a good idea! Hard to miss that when driving away! Always nice to have some sort of check.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. Latched one side and got distracted. Drove a few feet, got out and checked the campsite for anything I missed. Twenty miles later it finally dawns on me. Oops.

The old camper had latches with loops for hat-pins or carabieners. I got in the habit of clipping those bieners to the ignition key ring. Was a pretty effective tattle-tale that I'd forgotten something. File that one in the "Lessons Learned the Hard Way" file.

New camper's latches don't have that feature. I like your idea, I'll implement until I decide it's worth the trouble to replace the latches with those that have the loops.

Back
Top Bottom