Roof Leak

Lightrunning

I have a 2005 FWC that has roof leak. Started small and only when roof latched. Now has started dripping into camper in rain when roof up. I can’t see anything obvious on roof. I have resealed seam around roof edge and roof bolts. Any ideas for how to fix this?

Check the screws that secure the roof panels to roof frame, the rubber seals on the screws crack, also some of the screws can come loose. Check for tightness (don't over tighten) and then reseal with 3M 5200. This worked well on my 08 Hawk.

Thanks for that tip. In tightening the screws I discovered 2 that won’t tighten and seem stripped in the very spot I suspect the leak. Now I have a new problem. What’s the best way to fix a stripped screw in this situation. Does the toothpick trick work in this case? Maybe a longer screw?

Well I just found water in my camper. Found one screw loose. Replaced and resealed it but I think the big leak is from around the fantastic fan. Rather than trying to reseal it I think its to replace it with the Shurflo fan I purchased years ago when they had a big sale. The fantastic fan has holes in the screen and requires a thump to get it to turn on. This will give me a chance to properly seal it instead of just hoping a fresh dope of sealant works. Not the project I wanted to undertake right now but but at least I can do it under the awning.

Gotta love roof maintenance. Kind of surprised I don't see any of my neighbors out with a bucket of Henry's.

fish more said:
Check the screws that secure the roof panels to roof frame, the rubber seals on the screws crack, also some of the screws can come loose. Check for tightness (don't over tighten) and then reseal with 3M 5200. This worked well on my 08 Hawk.

After 12" of rain I found we have leaks in the two back corners of the 08 Hawk. :oops: Glad I drove it to work today and popped it up!
I've got the furnace and fan running in there now. Top of the refer counter was very wet, and the back corner of the sliding wall cabinet on the passenger side. It seems to be two separate leaks.

I suspect the Yakima tracks might be the issue. The caulking looks old (13 years!), and the way the truck was parked during the deluge, all the water was running to the back of the roof and I can imagine the tracks were filled with water for 36 hours or more.

Seems like the thing to do is pull up the tracks, and reseal. I've got Dicor tape I can bed the tracks with, and will want to put a squirt of high grade lap sealant in each screw hole. I like the suggestion of the 3M 5200. Think I'll run by the store and pick some up today.

Sure wish I could get a taller garage door and do my garage remodel!
I may have to dismount the camper and store it on the dolly indoors this winter, between trips.

Just ordered some more dicor so I can save whats in the camper for emergencies. I was a dummy. I had to go look at the creeks and roads and stuff in the worst of the rain instead of leaving it under the awning.

The ceiling is soaked but only directly behind the fan and only the waterproof carpet pieces got wet. I think I found it in time to prevent any major damage.

I sure hope I don't have to pull any insulation.

Can those who have identified the point source of the leak possibly posts photos of those locations?

Thanks..

12" of rain!

[As I remember near Grass Valley...]

This is where I suspect the roof leak is. I peeled off the old dicor sealant, tightened the roof screws, replaced 3 that wouldn’t tighten with size bigger screw and resealed with 3m marine sealer. Haven’t tested out for leaks yet.
5E4B83E2-6C10-4DBA-87C3-4CF69AF95583.jpeg

ski3pin said:
Our fingers are crossed and we hope this solved the issue!
Yes let's hope.

One comment on leaks, you can have a entrance point and it can travel and show itself in a distant location. Hopefully it is not your case.

Back
Top Bottom