roof lifting helper shocks thingys

I got my hardware in the mail and got the struts installed yesterday! WooHoo! They work great - except the part where the front pops up before you can latch it down. But that will be solved once I build my roof rack and put some crap on top.

The offset brackets are the way to go. They helped clear the trim around the door and the top drip edge. My installation looks just like all the others - so I didn't take any pictures.

Congrats, Scout. Mine pops up a bit easy too, but seems to be getting a little loser after a few months of usage. For now I can just have a friend help pull it down and latch the front. It sure helped us on our last trip when I had to put my 32" spare up on the roof!

Will FWC install struts on the out side. Front and back? We have a hawk on order. Thanks den

Will FWC install struts on the out side. Front and back? We have a hawk on order. Thanks den

If FWC won't, ATC definitely will, and I'd bet a lot cheaper too.

Has anyone put struts on a Bob cat? If so how long where they ? I put 36" ones on my old Grandby.
Thanks for any help. :D

Has anyone put struts on a Bob cat? If so how long where they ? I put 36" ones on my old Grandby.
Thanks for any help. :D

Phil - Several on Bobcats can be found earlier in this thread. Ours were installed by the guys at ATC and I don't know the size. Just call ATC and they can give you the size. They work great!

Had the guys at ATC install the struts when they did some roof repair for us. Nice install on the outside. They work well, but you do have to drop the front, latch it and then drop the rear. Also make sure the rear latch is pulled before unlatching as the roof may raise itself! Have tried it with about 50 pounds on the rear rack. Now no harder to lift with that weight than before with no weight, so pretty happy. One concern is the durability of the struts in the weather, they are really made for interior use. If they get popular, the manufacturer will make them with a stainless steel tube for external use. Right on for ATC!

I installed 35# cylinders instead of 40# front and back and they work perfect without poping back up with the roof unloaded. I bought they off Ebay. I can sit on the couch and give the roof a gentle push and it goes up nice and slow all by itsself. With the canoe it is still very easy. I painted the cylinders to match the camper and you don't even notice them attached with the camper down.

CWD

I've never had a problem "getting it up".
laugh.gif
Sorry to hear about the rest of ya.
biggrin.gif

I've held off on the struts because this climate just eats em up. I'm on my 3rd set on my wife's SnugTop topper and these are failing as we speak. It'll be interesting to see how durable they are for the rest of you (in warmer climates).

happy trails

mtn

Hello,

Has anyone put these on an Eagle? I notice that the modification has been accomplished on everything but an Eagle. I look forward to your response!

Thanks,

Looks like this is the latest listing on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/strut-your-stuff-here/_i.html?_nkw=C16-15952&submit=Search&_sid=985136237
Here are the brackets from earlier in this thread: http://www.maxumhardware.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4

Just ordered a set. Good price.

As did I. The ebay seller called today to thank me for the order, said they would ship in one week since he just opened his box from china and they're the 90 pounders in a 40 pound box. Good customer service.

Are people through-bolting these things or just metal-screwing? How long screws?

I ordered a set last night also, rods and brackets for my 06 Grandby. Have 80W solar and full length Yakima trackes and 2 load bars for weight up top. Need to add a Fantastic fan still, just a vent now.

Do I need them right now? Nope. But I will, eventually. Maybe sooner as I'm really looking at the solar option right now.

Looking at this thread, it seems #10 3/4 inch stainless sheet metal screws are what most are using. Initially I was thinking of bolting them through but since this option seems to be working I think thats what I'll go with. Can always upgrade later if necessary.

As did I. The ebay seller called today to thank me for the order, said they would ship in one week since he just opened his box from china and they're the 90 pounders in a 40 pound box. Good customer service.

Are people through-bolting these things or just metal-screwing? How long screws?

Interesting. Maybe I got the last of some old stock. I ordered two a while back from the same seller, no problem with his service.

Hello,

I purchased 2 sets of the Columbia Struts (CS3600-40) from strutt-your-stuff-here, seller on ebay. They are the replacement strut for the SUSPA (C16-1592). The Columbia`s measure 36" fully extended from center to center of the ball socket and 20 1/2" fully retracted. The SUSPA specs are 35.43" extended and 19.29" retracted but are $40 per strut as opposed to $20. I purchased the offset brackets ($2.99 each) from rv-trader on ebay which is the same guy selling the struts as indicated above. I ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday. He`s a nice guy and noticed that the shipping address was the same for both orders. He told me he would put them in one box and save me the $6 shipping on the brackets!
My dilemma at the moment is where to attach the struts? They will not fit in between my front latches on my Eagle without bottoming out as per my measurements. I don`t want to move my latches out to make them fit. So, do I install them on the inside as per FWC or do I go big and install them outside on the sides? Or, am I a knucklehead for trying to save $80 by purchasing the Columbia struts which are a tad longer than the SUSPA? The SUSPA`s may have the workable length to fit between the latches. Hmmmm.......

Looked at my Hawk, looks like about 28" from center to latch. Shocks are 20" retracted. You have less than 20"?

Okay, started my installation today. Two questions. Leave some tension on the struts in the up position?

Instructions say to install rod side down. Is that what ya all did?

Okay, started my installation today. Two questions. Leave some tension on the struts in the up position?

Instructions say to install rod side down. Is that what ya all did?

Craig,not sure about the tension thing but yes to the rod down.You will enjoy them. Good luck

Frank

Back
Top Bottom