roof lifting helper shocks thingys

I found that on the front of the camper the lower brackets should be as high as you can get them. This seams to help with the breaking point thus helping keep the top from popping up on its own.
We also found a place to get the brackets in bulk both the flat ones and the offset ones. We have about 30 of each in stock now.
We can not get a break on the suspa brand shocks so they are less expensive buying directly from them.
And here is my two cents on these shocks. They are great. I want to say that you guys that followed up on this and figured this out have solved the weakest point of this type of camper. This is my opinion and thank you very much.
Marty

Hi Marty,

Thanks for the tip.

I added the shocks to my Panther and they work great. I mounted the shocks low on the front and may move them up but as I have a 65 watt solar panel on the front and Yakima tracks and racks I haven't had a problem with the top lowering.

I do notice the breakover point you mention and I have to give the top a slight pull to start it down. I can see if I didn't have the extra weight on the top it would want to pop up.

One thing I did notice is I used a flat bracket on the tops and an an offset bracket on the bottoms. On the rear the struts seem to push the top forward a bit and the strip that covers the screws gets pinched when the top is lowered. I plan on replacing the top brackets with the offset ones to give a better angle to the strut and I think this will solve the pinch problem.

I tried it out with a pretty heavy load on the roof around 110# and found out that although it will raise and lower with the weight on it seemed to put a bit of a strain on the end panels. I also had one of the shock ends (a cheap plastic screw in piece) strip out when I raised this much weight so I think I will limit the roof weight to around 50# or so in addition to the solar and racks. I drilled and pinned the shock ends and haven't had a proplem with them since.

I didn't use the Suspa shocks but some off brand from e-bay and the name brand may have stronger ends.

All in all the best thing I have done on my camper.

Dsrtrat

(quote name='marty' date='01 August 2010 - 05:23 AM' timestamp='1280636600' post='38418']
I found that on the front of the camper the lower brackets should be as high as you can get them. This seams to help with the breaking point thus helping keep the top from popping up on its own.
We also found a place to get the brackets in bulk both the flat ones and the offset ones. We have about 30 of each in stock now.
We can not get a break on the suspa brand shocks so they are less expensive buying directly from them.
And here is my two cents on these shocks. They are great. I want to say that you guys that followed up on this and figured this out have solved the weakest point of this type of camper. This is my opinion and thank you very much.
Marty
[/quote]

Marty

Can I buy them directly from you? I have 4 solar panels and an old back so it might be a good addition.

Barkster, be sure to take pix.

Not much to post in pics, followed suggestions from Marty, install was easy but I found when I lowered the front it wouldn't stay down so it became a two person operation. Solution was to add one more 15w solar panel I had on the front of the roof, I think they weigh about 10#s. Now it comes down easy and stays down. Going up is also a smooth operation. I now have 2 15w panels in the back and 3 in the front so it was getting heavy. The panels do a wonderful job of keeping the batteries full all while running my Stirling powered 12v fridge.

I can't say enough about the roof lifters.With my canoe the roof goes up with little effort,not much more than no lifters and no weight up there.IMO roof lifters are the only way to go,and i like them on the outside.Less chance of hitting oneself while getting out of bed in the dark hours.I think which ever choice inside or out they save the back from strain,and sure don't want to get hurt while out camping,sure puts a halt to the fun.

The front of mine does want to rise up a little when i am putting it down but if you pull it down slowly the pressure seems to equalize and it stays down long enough to have the wife clip the front or i can go out and do it myself.One thing i have found is you can't lower the front without clipping it and lower the back.The front will rise up when the back is lowered.You can also use a bungee inside to hold the front down if you are alone.

Frank

I can't say enough about the roof lifters.With my canoe the roof goes up with little effort,not much more than no lifters and no weight up there.IMO roof lifters are the only way to go,and i like them on the outside.Less chance of hitting oneself while getting out of bed in the dark hours.I think which ever choice inside or out they save the back from strain,and sure don't want to get hurt while out camping,sure puts a halt to the fun.

The front of mine does want to rise up a little when i am putting it down but if you pull it down slowly the pressure seems to equalize and it stays down long enough to have the wife clip the front or i can go out and do it myself.One thing i have found is you can't lower the front without clipping it and lower the back.The front will rise up when the back is lowered.You can also use a bungee inside to hold the front down if you are alone.

Frank

Without the lifters mine was starting to be a problem with the weight of the solar panels. I wasn't expecting mine to arrive so fast after I ordered so I had to do a fast install before my ongoing trip. Install was easy but my 98 Grandby had a rain deflector on the back that had to go.

I can't say enough about the roof lifters.

Frank

I agree with you on the roof lifters . . . . a great improvement! We had ours installed by Jeff and Marty and it seems that they have the mounting location down to a science. With nothing on the roof (solar panels, boats, etc.), mine will stay down without the need to clip the clips. It takes a little effort to pull on the aluminum handle (lifting device), but once the roof gets about 2/3s of the way down, it almost falls the rest of thr way. I have to attribute this to the mounting location of the struts. They did a great job!

Richard

I agree with you on the roof lifters . . . . a great improvement! We had ours installed by Jeff and Marty and it seems that they have the mounting location down to a science. With nothing on the roof (solar panels, boats, etc.), mine will stay down without the need to clip the clips. It takes a little effort to pull on the aluminum handle (lifting device), but once the roof gets about 2/3s of the way down, it almost falls the rest of thr way. I have to attribute this to the mounting location of the struts. They did a great job!

Richard

Can you post a couple photos. Sounds like they mounted them right, I would like to see the placement of the mounting points.

For those checking the Suspa site, these struts are listed in replacement parts. Price now $25.

Can you post a couple photos. Sounds like they mounted them right, I would like to see the placement of the mounting points.

Here are some photos of the lifter system installed by the guys at ATC. Works great!

(I resized them, but it looks like I still need to send them in a few different messages)

Attachments

• lifter 1.jpg
    lifter 1.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • lifter 2.jpg
    lifter 2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,032
  • lifter 3.jpg
    lifter 3.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 887

More roof lifter shots.

Attachments

• lifter 4.jpg
    lifter 4.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 775
  • lifter 5.jpg
    lifter 5.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 866
  • lifter 6.jpg
    lifter 6.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 831

Still more roof lifter shots.

Hope this is helpful.

Richard

Attachments

• lifter 7.jpg
    lifter 7.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 612
  • lifter 8.jpg
    lifter 8.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 637
I like the way Marty did your work,they do great work.I placed my front shock lower clips at the bottom of that rail,so that I could get greater lift when I carry the canoe,but don't have a problem with lowering when there isn't any weight on the roof.These are one of the best mods that can be done IMO.They sure save the back from all the lifting,and having them outside keeps them out of the way when you get into the bed. I can't imagine waking in the middle of the night and banging into them when installed above the bed.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom