roof lifting helper shocks thingys

Here is my rendition of the roof up-lifter thingy upgrade on my 2009 FWD Hawk in which I tried to deal with the little light bars fore and aft.
Phil

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 507
  • Front2.JPG
    Front2.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 564
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 560
  • Rear2.JPG
    Rear2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 494
  • Rear3.JPG
    Rear3.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 460
  • Rear4.JPG
    Rear4.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 439
Secondly some have said they only have the FWC installed lifts in the front. How does this help you when you are lifting the back?

FWC installs one set of lits inside on the forward lift board. In this position....they also help with the back. Since they are inside....they don't effect the outside running lights.

FWC lift intalled inside.JPG

Here is my rendition of the roof up-lifter thingy upgrade on my 2009 FWD Hawk in which I tried to deal with the little light bars fore and aft.
Phil

Nice install job.My front lifters are also mounted at the bottom like yours. It changes the angle a bit so I think it gives them a little less lift and makes it easier to lower the front. IMO

Frank

Regarding the Suspa c16-15952 gas springs.

They seem to be $40.00 each now. Somewhere in this thread somebody mentioned $20-25. Have not seen a Suspa for that.
Has anyone tried or does anyone believe this Ebay seller about Columbia springs. These sell for 40.00 a pair plus shipping.

Ebay ad
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2ea-Gas-Spring-Strut-shock-lift-REP-SUSPA-C16-15952-/320686215099

Get your high quality Columbia nitrogen filled gas struts here!

Columbia Struts are / have been used by many of the nations top motor coach manufacturers! A note about our struts … When you produce a $300,000.00 to $600.000.00+ coach do you think they would skimp on the struts?

MORE Gas springs listed in our Store

Replacement for SUSPA C16-15952

This listing is for a set (2 each) = 1 bid

I just purchased a pair of 60 lb'ers from Mike at Strut-Your-Stuff.

Excellent customer service, pretty fast shipping.
Good email skills.

One thing I would say is get the "metal" ball socket ends, instead of the "plastic" ball socket ends.

My idiot brother-in-law broke one of the "plastic" ball socket ends, so I contacted Mike, via email, and I've purchased the metal ball socket ends and they are on the way (even though I haven't seen what they actually look like).

The plastic ball socket ends may be OK if you can keep my idiot brother-in-law away from them, but they do seem to be a little weak where the keeper clips enter the plastic ball socket end.

I'll know more after I get the metal ball socket ends, in a day or two.

Another thing is that it appears that I'll be moving each of the lower ball mounts (on the camper) about 1", to make these work. The Suspa 40 lb'er ones are just a little shorter. And, if you think you know a way to compress the gas struts while hanging in the air, please let me know. At least I've got the room to move them and I'm planning on using bolts with a cap nut on the inside for the attachment, instead of the screws that were originally used that have the sharp points inside.

If these work OK on the front (haven't actually had a chance to test it yet), then I might do the same on the rear... replace the originals with stronger ones, as I'm eventually going to have about the same amount of weight that I have on the front, on the rear end (not happened yet, but soon).

Or just keep looking. I was able to get mine cheap because I wasn't looking to do it quickly. Takes some time but you can find them occasionally for half that price.

My post with pics a page or 2 earlier is using the Columbia from Strut-your-Stuff, as some others are in this thread. Since mine are new, as most others are also, long term results are unknown. Seems to work fine so far during testing.

Greetings -- I'm so inspired by all of your great recommendations that I'm ready to add Lifting Helper Thingys to our Eagle. The exterior ones make more sense for us, because our dog will decapitate himself leaping up onto the bed. The ebay seller recommended seems pretty easy to figure out, but I'd be mighty happy if someone out there, who has successfully added them to an Eagle, could recommend exactly the right brackets to get.

Thanks, and Happy Trails

but I'd be mighty happy if someone out there, who has successfully added them to an Eagle, could recommend exactly the right brackets to get.

Thanks, and Happy Trails

I have a link for you. I can get it later today.

Awesome help, Overland -- thanks!! We get by with a little help from our camping friends -- Paha

Does anyone know where I could source the brackets in Canada? $26.50 shipping on $4.72 in parts just isnt feasible!! Any ideas?

Im guessing most of you guys with ATC and FWC's just have to push up the top somehow by hand. What is the standard procedure to lift the roof. Push up one side, than the other ?

My camper has a crank handle with rack gears attached to a lifting mechanism. You just plug in the crank handle and crank the top up.

I'm 5"8 and 180 lbs soaking wet. Its not hard to pop the top. I only did the lifters in anticipation of adding more weight to the roof down the road (solar panels etc.). I just push with my hands, never with my head.

Does anyone know where I could source the brackets in Canada? $26.50 shipping on $4.72 in parts just isnt feasible!! Any ideas?

Bump my own question. :D
Anyone?

Greetings -- I'm so inspired by all of your great recommendations that I'm ready to add Lifting Helper Thingys to our Eagle. The exterior ones make more sense for us, because our dog will decapitate himself leaping up onto the bed. The ebay seller recommended seems pretty easy to figure out, but I'd be mighty happy if someone out there, who has successfully added them to an Eagle, could recommend exactly the right brackets to get.

Thanks, and Happy Trails

Look at page 17 in this topic and you will see how I installed them on my 2000 Eagle. PM me if you have more questions.

Back
Top Bottom