Roof Lifting

FX4

I have read the how to install and the description of roof assist .Still not clear to me.

When I watch the video on raising the roof it seems that the demonstrator is not struggling and it is a simple thing to do.
Have the roofs become heavier over the years ?
Is it more peoples are carrying extra weight on the roof ?
I did plan on the roof rack option but it is more for carrying the odd 2x4 /plywood home, same as I do with my truck topper now.

Thanks for your advice

I have a Hawk and I did order it with the Yakama rack and 85 watt solar panel. I "think", because I ordered it with the rack, FWC uses larger pistons on the assist. I have a friend that only ordered the Yakama rails and got the lower pressure pistons. This may or may not be standard procedure. With the Yakama hardware on, I had my 30 year old daughter try and open the camper. The hard side is by the door. She was able to open it with a little work. Once I removed the Yakama hardware, the front side of the rack is real easy to open but the back side is still a little bit of work, although easier. I use my "head" to open the rear side of the camper. Just push my head against the piece of wood on the ceiling and stand up. Not the perfect solution but, what the heck, it works.

When closing the back side of the camper, I make sure my hands stay on the wood and not the bare ceiling. You will hear the foam insulation breaking into smaller pieces if you put your hands in places other than the wood.

When closing the front side of the camper, I need to pull it down (really just pull on the wood post) to get it started (with the Yakama hardware off the camper). But once it is close to closed, it takes off on its own. I am always careful where my head is for that last small drop of the camper. Yes, I do have the larger pistons and am glad I do.

I am 60 and have no problem raising the top "without" the Yakama hardware in place. Little harder with the Yakama hardware installed but I can do it.

As far as installation, if you need pictures of one installed, I can do that. I am guessing there might be something already posted someplace but would be happy to help out anyway I can.

Steve

Is it more peoples are carrying extra weight on the roof ?

Yes, it's mainly because of putting extra stuff = extra weight, on the roof. In some cases the extra may be a permanently-mounted solar panel.
Lift-assist shocks/struts are not necessary (for most people) if you're not carrying extra weight on the roof.

The roof assists are nice as you get older.Yes the top is easy to lift without any extra weight up there.But why strain your back or something else by straining to pup up.
I have my outside roof struts since 09 and am so glad I installed them,but I do carry a canoe so that adds a lot of weight to lift.
If you intend to carry any extra weight on the roof,IMO roof lifters are the only way to go.There is a huge thread,"roof lifter thingies"by the Saints.Check it out if you want more ideas.I think the thread is in the All Terrain Campers forum.
Frank

Thanks all for your input and advice.

I think I will order without the assist and need be install the outside helpers.
The wee woman does not like the intrusion on the lift assist on her bedroom suite :).

Thanks all for your input and advice.

I think I will order without the assist and need be install the outside helpers.
The wee woman does not like the intrusion on the lift assist on her bedroom suite :).

When we went to visit FWC to look at their campers we saw one with the inside lift struts,didn't like them being in the way.Some members that have them on the inside and take them on and off.Seems like one more thing to do.IMO on the outside front and back is the way to go.
Frank

Hello, I too had a bit of trouble lifting the roof.... I mean when I'm setting up who needs to strain ones' back?
I found the answer and it really is easy. See picture. I took the tripod legs off the speaker stand and store it the center crank tube where the table clips are on the right side. I made a 4" 2x4" 'foot' to stabilize the base with a glued on old computer 'mouse pad' for gripping. The cramp pops up the top (hand drill adapter works too)to 95% then it's a simple push and snap! I do the same in front...nearly effortless. I used the speaker tripod legs to make a solar panel set up (check recent solar tripod posting) BTW.... this is the same crank that FWC sells for $250... I bought it for $99 on line.

Attachments

• OnStage Speaker stand.jpg
    OnStage Speaker stand.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 381
I have a Grandby and while lifting the back is no problem, it is a minor struggle to lift the front section. I doubt I could do it with any extra weight on the roof. The first 50% is difficult but when I get it to the point where I can push on the roof with one hand and push the metal pole with the other, it goes up easy. I'm thinking all I need is a 2x4 extension "pole" that I can cup my hands under, straighten my back, and lift the first 50% with my legs. Has anyone tried this and if so, how did it work?

BTW.... this is the same crank that FWC sells for $250... I bought it for $99 on line.

Here's the one I purchased at Guitar Center for $59.99, free shipping.
On-Stage Stands SS8800B+ Power Crank-Up Speaker Stand

I use the speaker stand to lift the roof when I've got two or more (28 lb each) kayaks (I can carry up to 4) on the roof... works great.

Oh, I've got the exterior 40 lb. gas struts done by ATC at time of camper build, with a later self install of a 24 lb solar panel at the far front of the roof and the gas struts work OK (a little more push required on the front end).

Oh - BTW, I've noticed that the roof lifting is easier when the door or windows are open.

:D:)

Oh - BTW, I've noticed that the roof lifting is easier when the door or windows are open.

Yes! Soon after I got my FWC Hawk I tried to raise the roof with door and windows closed...either because I forgot or because I didn't realize the importance of venting. Well, I pushed hard and managed to bend the u-shaped metal brace on the front lift panel. Damn!
rolleyes.gif

When I ordered my camper, Stan told me that you keep the windows closed and the door open when lifting the roof. I found that lifting the roof without the assists is a bit of a pain in the front. Once I forgot to connect them and almost strained my back, I do have back problems. I have no weight on the roof. I find that the assists are not a problem when installed. I installed two spring loaded brackets that capture the pistons of the assists, I just disconnect them at the lower mounts and swing them up into the brackets and they are out of the way.

The Guitar Center speaker stand is the only way to go. I have no lift assist and it does the job and saves my shoulders. It was the best $60 I spent
smile.gif

Update July 1st 2014: Still works like a champ

I really need to try opening some of your roofs. Even before I put the struts on I never thought it was back straining to open mine. I wonder if the new ones are heavier.

I really need to try opening some of your roofs. Even before I put the struts on I never thought it was back straining to open mine. I wonder if the new ones are heavier.

I am hoping that it is an acquired knack ,the only experience I have is the video .It seems to be the push out at the front and not the push up that seems awkward.Wont know till spring for sure .Lucky for me and all the late comers, if need be the, fix as been found. :)

As the extended bar gotten longer over the years of the lift system design ,32 inch to extended ,I mean

Hello, I too had a bit of trouble lifting the roof.... I mean when I'm setting up who needs to strain ones' back?
I found the answer and it really is easy. See picture. I took the tripod legs off the speaker stand and store it the center crank tube where the table clips are on the right side. I made a 4" 2x4" 'foot' to stabilize the base with a glued on old computer 'mouse pad' for gripping. The cramp pops up the top (hand drill adapter works too)to 95% then it's a simple push and snap! I do the same in front...nearly effortless. I used the speaker tripod legs to make a solar panel set up (check recent solar tripod posting) BTW.... this is the same crank that FWC sells for $250... I bought it for $99 on line.

I got one of these and now would never go anywhere without it. I can easily lift and lower the roof with the canoe strapped on and a 20 lb solar rig. The pole has other uses as well. I often use it for a clothes line when there are no trees. Once when the padding under the rear of the camper was falling out (after lots of rough road driving) I lifted the corner of the camper with the pole lift just enough to slide the padding back in. If there is any chance you will wake to find a foot of snow on your roof you had better have one.

I really need to try opening some of your roofs. Even before I put the struts on I never thought it was back straining to open mine.

FWIW:
I've never thought the roof of my 2005 FWC Hawk was difficult to lift, and I'm not a burly guy. But, I don't have a bad back or any other "structural" issues -- maybe that's the difference.
On the other hand, it's not what I'd call "effortless", either...and it's crossed my mind that as I get into my golden years I'd probably need help.

Without the struts and with the canoe and the solar panel, lifting the roof would definitely be a strain.

How many of you with lifting problems have the extended cabover? I don't have it, I'm sure that makes some difference.

Btw, I don't use my head, just my arms. No burly guy here either :unsure:

I have a solar panel, yakima track, and luggage rack on mine. I too, use my head and hands to raise the rear, and I think this can be a bad way. I have felt the effects of compression on my vertebrae in my neck, and it could cause problems. I also have the 80 lb lift assist, which helps a little. Front goes up/down like a breeze. I have no problem with the struts being in the way when I am sleeping.

I have often wondered if anyone has come up with a way to permanently mount two small motorized jackscrews for the rear. That would be nice, especially if you have much in the way of luggage/toys mounted on the roof. I might have to try the hand crank.

Back
Top Bottom