Roof Lifting

As mentioned before I have outside lifter struts,front and rear.With 60# of canoe on top it can be a bit hard to lift,but not a back breaker.It does go up nicely,a steady push is all it takes.First a camper with the extended cab over I think would be a little harder to lift,I think due to the lift point.I made a "lift lever"copied from a design by Les of "lqhikers".It is a simple lever devise,that doesn't take up any room when stowed hanging under the small cabinet on the right side of the camper.If needed it makes the job of lifting a easier and doesn't place a strain on your back.I haven't had to use it yet,but it's like insurance it's there when you need it.
Lots of people have different methods of lifting.so what ever works for you go for it.Just don't hurt the back,that would put a huge damper on a trip.
Frank

When I ordered my camper, Stan told me that you keep the windows closed and the door open when lifting the roof. I found that lifting the roof without the assists is a bit of a pain in the front. Once I forgot to connect them and almost strained my back, I do have back problems. I have no weight on the roof. I find that the assists are not a problem when installed. I installed two spring loaded brackets that capture the pistons of the assists, I just disconnect them at the lower mounts and swing them up into the brackets and they are out of the way.

Photo please....

Alley cat,that isn't the one I copied.The earlier design by Les is a simpler one. I will try to find the post I added.
And the photos I posted. If I can't find it I'll take some more.
Frank

My post of the lifter I made is under All Terrain Campers,page #3 "roof lifter".Hope this helps.I could use this if I need an extra lift,say I am tired or had a long day,but with the struts I don't need it under normal conditions.
Frank

Photo please....

Explorer,
I'll be taking the camper out this weekend, will take pics and post.

Pat

Photo please....

Here are the photos of my lift assists with the spring loaded clips:

!cid_7D5D5E4BAE2B4CB18E38F7D0E2C62B0C@INTELCOREi5.png!cid_BFA28CFCE0C644508B1F87D276F896AB@INTELCOREi5.pngView attachment 15158!cid_83F0774039E646888115186336D07DB0@INTELCOREi5.png

The broom clips are entirely white and the 2 finger grip areas are metal. I shrunk black heat shrink on the areas so that if you did happen to rub up against them or bump your head on them it would be a little more forgiving, plus they match the color of the assists better. the clips extend no lower than the hinge brackets that the assists attach to.

Pat

Heres a closer look at the clip.

!cid_9272872751E44E4194A0B8DF6C3770BC@INTELCOREi5.pngHere are the photos of my lift assists with the spring loaded clips:

View attachment 15160View attachment 15157View attachment 15158View attachment 15159

The broom clips are entirely white and the 2 finger grip areas are metal. I shrunk black heat shrink on the areas so that if you did happen to rub up against them or bump your head on them it would be a little more forgiving, plus they match the color of the assists better. the clips extend no lower than the hinge brackets that the assists attach to.

Pat

Casa Escarlata - In your posts you mention an external lift system. I looked at photos in your gallery and don't see any external struts. Can you tell me how your external strut system works? I'm considering adding struts to mine and like the idea of external struts to minimize the clutter in the camper.

Thanks!

Had to find a solution because my wife could not lift the roof. There is a solar panel and Yakima racks on top for a kayak. Did not want to install additional struts especially on the outside. My Grandby has the lift assist struts on the inside.

For whatever it is worth, I got a roof assist lift crank. There are top blocks that go on the front and rear push boards so the crank does not slip. It is a simple easy solution and works great. No additional clutter inside or outside the camper.

Just putting it out there.

Hey Guys - I know we're supposed to list "gear for sale" elsewhere, but since this is still an active thread, I'm giving it a shot -- even if I might get spanked. I bought one of the speaker tripod crank stands and it works well, however; when I built a custom camera shooting platform for the camper so I can get a high vantage point for landscapes, etc., the weight is too much for it. I then bought lift struts to mount on both the front and rear of my Ranger, which, as many have found, makes lifting the roof almost easy.

I can offer someone the stand for $40.00 plus shipping. I've already removed the tripod legs and used 2 of the three rubber floor protectors on both ends of the center column/crank assembly. It does not slip or mar the floor. If interested please send an email to tnscoots AT cox.net and we can work out the details.
Cheers - Tom

Attachments

• roof lift crank.JPG
    roof lift crank.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 146
Casa Escarlata - In your posts you mention an external lift system. I looked at photos in your gallery and don't see any external struts. Can you tell me how your external strut system works? I'm considering adding struts to mine and like the idea of external struts to minimize the clutter in the camper.

Thanks!

I have the same struts you have only mounted front and rear on the outside.If you go to the thread,"roof lifter thingies" I think it's under the All Terrain Camper group you will find a lot of posts about the struts.
If you need some pictures let me know I'll post some new ones.

roof lifter helper shocks thingys
Frank

DuckWorks has these neat Pole Storage Clips that are made of stiff rubber like stuff and hold poles from 1/2" up to 1-1/2" in diameter. I use them on a lots of stuff, from kayaks, sailboats, and my ATC camper, inside and out. I just got another 10 of them, shipping was about $6, priority mail.

Thanks for the Duckworks tip. I bought two and installed today under the hanging cabinet on my Raven:
lift mount.jpg
FYI, I also use a sunshade next to the window to keep my curtains and pads from fading from the sun. I take them off when I'm camping

I have the same struts you have only mounted front and rear on the outside.If you go to the thread,"roof lifter thingies" I think it's under the All Terrain Camper group you will find a lot of posts about the struts.
If you need some pictures let me know I'll post some new ones.

roof lifter helper shocks thingys
Frank

Thank you for whoever added the thread to my reply.Makes it easier to find that info.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom