Roof Mounted Solar Panel Vs Honda Generator

Ramblinman

Good point was made on another post that is making me think that the Generator may be more versatile than a Roof mounted Solar panel. I hope to be running all the appliances including a compressor fridge. I do want the capability to store items on the roof which may interfere with Solar.

I have no experience with either contraption and would be interested if anyone would care to comment.

To me that solar up there seems like an expensive item that would be easy to damage on the roof. Also, I will be using the camper in Western Canada which will see all types of weather and camping spots. What I am trying to say is that I generally I will not be camping in AZ where it may be more open and sunny regularly. Does the potential for overcast and a tree covered camp site negate the solar?

I am also thinking that I could use the Gen in other applications. (ie Run my furnace during a power outage etc.)

I run with solar and have not had any problems. Usage is in May to Oct. A cloudy day will still charge the battery but slower.

I would get the solar for sure and you can easily add the gen. if needed at a later date.

My buddies have a gen. so I'm covered, should i need a boost.

I see you ordered a new unit, very nice. I went threw the same ordeal as you only picked up a used one. It had all the options I wanted but one, could not go wrong.

I have a 'Chonda' that came from Amazon. When it dies, I'm getting either a Yamaha or Honda.

I got it because my late wife had to have air conditioning for health issues if it was at all hot out. I got to take her all over the country in our Hawk. The generator also ran my freezer, TV, refrigerator and computer for a week during Ike.

I can power everything but my table saw if I'm off-grid building something.

I use it in AC mode, with my 'smart' battery charger.

It's pretty quiet.

Fact about solar.If there is daylight the solar panel will collect it.From minimal to max depending on clouds,shade ect.It's easier to get solar when you order the camper. Than if you need it get a generator get one.Though it's one more thing to store in the camper when not in use.Remember these campers are short on storage.You have to make compromises with our pop ups,IMO.Being on the minimalist side we try to take as little as possible.
Frank

Fact about solar.If there is daylight the solar panel will collect it.From minimal to max depending on clouds,shade ect.

I think solar is a great thing...but there really can be a huge difference in power produced between full sun and full-cloud-cover, depending on how deep/heavy the clouds. Like, heavy clouds -- close-to-raining clouds -- can cause the power to drop to maybe 25% of (not 25% less, 75% less) what you'd get with full sun. At least, that's what I noticed recently with my PV panel as clouds covered that sun.
So, if you had a couple/few days of heavy clouds you might have trouble running a DC-only fridge, unless you had way-extra solar-panel area.
And then there's the consideration of what happens when/if you're in a deep-dark west-side forest where you may have no choice but a shady camp.

Another reason I usually stay in the minimal-forest, sunny, Great Basin.
wink.gif

Just to make sure I wasn't making this up...I decided to do a little research after-the-fact.
On a website called "Solar Home -- go Solar, live green"
On their FAQ:

How well do solar panels work in cloudy conditions?
A cloudy day provides sufficient diffuse light by which the panel will produce electricity. Optimum electrical production occurs with bright and sunny weather conditions. Under a light overcast, the modules might produce about half as much as under full sun, ranging down to as little as five to ten percent under a dark overcast day.

So, I assume that this is probably accurate, since a site that promotes solar isn't likely to make up downsides of solar.
The moral: Don't rely on solar alone if you're going to camp in the PNW (or other damp areas) during the rainy season.

Ramblin, I seem to recall seeing a solar panel mounted under the cabover on a slideout mechanism, which is very efficient use of space. Look around, and see if you can find it and whether or not it would apply to your truck.

Generators

And just to clarify: I am not pro-generator -- I have one but haven't even taken it with me since 2009.
rolleyes.gif

My point was just to say that solar panels aren't magic...they really are affected significantly (i.e., A LOT!) by clouds.

I just set up a second battery on a switch, truck charges one while driving as a backup and solar charges the other, will be switchable in the not so distant future.

The reason I even bought my pop up camper was a project that saw me on the road for over 200 days of each of the last three years. Up until earlier this year, I had a single 85 watt panel that only was lacking in New England when it was under dark cloud cover and rain from tropical storm that had me running my heater more than usual.

Now I have twin panels, one 135 watt on the roof and one 100 watt slide out and removable under the cab over. Part of the reason I did the solar upgrade is to better accommodate a AC/DC only fridge. From late July until a couple weeks ago, we ran the fridge full time, 24/7 and at one point, the truck did not move for over three weeks. The single 135 watt panel not only drove the fridge perfectly but the battery was always full.

A couple weeks ago, we were in a camping spot that did not see us getting decent sun on the roof panel until after 11 AM. So I pulled the 100 watt one out, plugged in the extension, pointed it at the best track of morning sun. The battery was showing fully charged by 9:30 AM....in cloud cover...

If you want to see this setup in photos, look for blog entries here:

http://kodachromeproject.com/blog/

Our camper is no weekend warrior recreation rig, it is full time, 150 days a year plus pro use. The solar and the fridge upgrade are by far the best things I have done to the camper and with the new dual battery system, we are golden.

We have a planet that is about to barf up a bunch of people in rejection, lets not induce further bad karma by running a generator for our "Recreation" purposes...

Go solar, do it right, get an MPPT controller and do half of what I have done and you should be set.

I am not a big fan of generators runnin in camp but those small hondas are really nice and quiet. I don't have a compressor frig or solar but have newer needed either with my Hawk and have spent weeks at a time during the winter running the furnace. My bigger problem was having enough propane which carring an extra tank is about the same size as a small generator. I have several hondas at work and they have been very dependable and trouble free. If they don't start on the second pull something is wrong.

Pro generator here. Boondocked in 25 degrees below zero, furnace 24/7, snowing, you're going to freeze to death trying to use solar!!!! Spent 4 days and only had to run the genny 2 hours a day. Only 1 Group 31 battery!!!! :cool:

IM002148.jpg

Pro generator here. Boondocked in 25 degrees below zero, furnace 24/7, snowing, you're going to freeze to death trying to use solar!!!! Spent 4 days and only had to run the genny 2 hours a day. Only 1 Group 31 battery!!!! :cool:

IM002148.jpg

See now theres a scenario where a generator makes some sense.

Thanks for the posts!

Kodachrome,

How often do you camp in overcast or covered conditions, and have you experienced any problems with your solar? I would rather roll without the Gen as in my opinion, it is more cumbersome.

Silvertip, Great Photo. Those are the conditions I hope to be using the FWC in.

Chukar, What size Honda Gen would recommend for a FWC?

Check honda's site but either the EU1000i or EU2000i. The 1000 is less than 30lbs and may fit in the Porta Potti spot. I think the 2000 is the same size but heavier. A 1000 should cost about $900.

Generators

Hmmm generator vs. solar?
One makes your camp neighbors give you dirty looks and the other is silent.
That's enough for me! :)

Hmmm generator vs. solar?
One makes your camp neighbors give you dirty looks and the other is silent.
That's enough for me! :)

Light Hawk you are right. The Gen can be annoying. I do admit that I do not like hearing the blasted thing (unless it was cold and it was mine :D ) BUT .. .when I camp in public camp grounds I have to put up with barking dogs, tantrums, yelling kids, music, and late night parties! I think an hour or two of Gen while everyone else is creating noise (especially if it is quiet) should be OK. Camp grounds during the peak months can turn in to a Ghetto. This said, I do not expect to be using the FWC during the peak months. I would likely be using it most during the cold ... and I hope that the FWC will propel me in to the world of Boondocking!!!!

The environment is another issue ... which does tug at my morale strings. They are here somewhere .... I think ...

<snip>The environment is another issue ...<snip>

On a recent 4 day fishing trip I used about one gallon of gasoline to charge the battery. The generator never came off power-save mode. If you are beach camping along the Gulf of Mexico in the summer, you pretty much need a generator to run AC.

I'm leaning toward a PV camping system for all the standard arguments. Money's tight right now, so I have to wait. Four years ago when I bought the generator for hurricane insurance, it was clearly the right choice. First things first...

One thing nobody's mentioned yet: When the wind's just right you can smell exhaust fumes...

I'm leaning toward a PV camping system for all the standard arguments. Money's tight right now, so I have to wait. Four years ago when I bought the generator for hurricane insurance, it was clearly the right choice. First things first...

"PV" ??? Sorry I new :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom