roof off, now what?

stone runner

I pulled off the roof on the 88 grandby. Repaired and reinforced bent frame, installed closed cell foam insullation and repaired cracks in aluminum skin. This may sound weird but I also glued in some landscaping fabric on the underside of the skin for a vapor barrier. Also installing a fantastic fan.

Any suggestions on modifications before I seal it up?

After insullating with foam I realized there still is hollow aluminum tubing and the vent holes. Would it be a good idea to spray foam inside the tubing?

Might also install solar later. Panels in the rear would be easier to reach, however parking with the front facing south might be more comfortable, and could have hinged panels.

The roof racks usually seem to be screwed in with metal screws. While the roof is apart would it be a good idea to run small lag bolts through the roof frame to mount the rack mounts? Concerned about the rack and thule possibly blowing off with only metal screws.

Thanks for any input!

Hey stone runner,

Isn't landscape fabric porous? The kind I'm thinking of wouldn't make a good vapor barrier. Do you mean landscape plastic?
Also, the vapor barrier should be on the warm side, not the cold side. If the vapor condenses inside the roof between the insulation and the roof skin bad things can happen.

Best of luck with your rebuild - sounds like a great project.

Tom

Sounds like a lot of work. Take some photos to share and remember where all the studs are.

consider....

wiring for lights and such. Solar like you said. Wire it now with a rough in and it will be easy later.

reinforcing some of the areas like the back wall or side wall so you can attach stuff like awning, steps, fuel or water containers. Would be nice to carry
shovel and ax on the back, locked and out of the way.

Do you have a fantasic fan? If not, wire and get it in. If so, no worries!

Good luck and post some pics.

dave

Reinforcing the back wall is a great idea. I was thinking of welding up some kind of aluminum rack.

The fantastic fan will here Monday. Rebuilding and insulating the floor now. Sandwiching 1/2 " foam between plywood. Taking lots of pictures and will post a thread.

The roof is pretty thin and worn. I cleaned -conditioned the aluminum, painted it and glued the landscaping fabric in with paint, so it is not very porious anymore. I wanted to eliminate the metal to metal contact of the frame and skin, also add a little strength to the skin. Later read a post where FWC now apllies foam tape between the skin and frame. Where the screw pulled through the skin and cracked the metal, I used JB weld and thin aluminum to create a patch on both sides (beer cans), also covered with epoxy paint.

After insullating with foam I realized there still is hollow aluminum tubing and the vent holes. Would it be a good idea to spray foam inside the tubing?

I think they are designed that way to vent any condensation that collects in the frame.

did pictures of this repair ever get posted? I might be taking the roof of my eagle and have been searching for pics.

Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom