Roof Rack Build Question

trailrider

Advanced Member
I have a 2013 ATC Ocelot shell. I am building roof racks out of 1 inch square tube like the factory racks from ATC and FWC. I am going to have two bars with each bar sitting on 4 feet screwed to the roof. I am using 1 inch 1/8 thick square tube. I could get by with only two feet per bar but want the extra screws into the roof that four feet gives. I was going to put 4 screws per support foot which equates to 16 screws per bar. Maybe I am over doing it and 8 screws per bar is enough with the two feet design.

My roof has a slight curvature across the roof. I was in the process of mocking my bars up and sure enough the bar sits on the two inward feet and don't touch the outer feet. Should I place a shim between the bar and the outer feet so they touch the bar? 3 5/16" washers do the trick. Without shims when I bolt the bar to the feet it would either try to lift the outer feet to the bar or try to push the inner feet down. I have seen many pictures of this design and have not seen any shims.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• 20160621_203026R.jpg
    20160621_203026R.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 134
Just checked my ATC Bobcat with factory rack and there are no spacers. The rack just goes with the "curve" of the roof,which isn't much.
Give Marty at ATC a call.He will give you the best answer.
Frank

I sent an email to Marty and here is his reply:

"You do not need to put spacers under your rack. The roof will pull to it as you are installing the screws. I would put a fat bead of silicone right down the middle of the rack foot then screw them down and wipe of the extra with my finger tip. I would use 4 feet on the bar to help distribute the weight an pull of what you attach to the bar. We only use 2 screws per bar. 4 should work fine."

I think he meant 2 screw per foot instead of 2 screws per bar. I been thinking about it. I don't see how spacers (washers) would hurt anything. I don't want to put any unnecessary forces on the feet screws or the roof. I will make my decision when I am actually installing the rack to the roof.

Mike

trailrider said:
I sent an email to Marty and here is his reply:

"You do not need to put spacers under your rack. The roof will pull to it as you are installing the screws. I would put a fat bead of silicone right down the middle of the rack foot then screw them down and wipe of the extra with my finger tip. I would use 4 feet on the bar to help distribute the weight an pull of what you attach to the bar. We only use 2 screws per bar. 4 should work fine."

I think he meant 2 screw per foot instead of 2 screws per bar. I been thinking about it. I don't see how spacers (washers) would hurt anything. I don't want to put any unnecessary forces on the feet screws or the roof. I will make my decision when I am actually installing the rack to the roof.

Mike
Sounds like that would work ,can't hurt.
Make sure you use lots of silicone I would even put some in the screw holes.
Don't want any roof leaks.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom