Roof repair on early 90's Sun-Lite Eagle

Old Crow

Searching....
My brother bought an early-90's Sun-Lite Eagle on Ebay about 10 years ago. It's a great camper for our trips into state and national forests. It has an eight-foot floor and the floor plan on this one has an extra-big table. That works well for us and our younger brother in bad weather and on those extra-long late-Fall evenings.

He was looking to update last summer and bought a NorthStar TC650. But he didn't sell the Eagle right away as it had a roof problem and he was trying to decide whether to fix it or sell it as-is.

The roof problem is the typical one we see in wood-framed truck campers with Heco roof-lifting systems. It often shows up in one or both of the rear corners. Like this...

SunLiteRearZoomed.jpg

Note the deformed metal and the overly-large, cracked sealant. Those bolts go into the rear torsion-bar mount. It's mounted on plywood and if a roof leak compromises the wood, the torsion bar's torque causes the damage.

In any case, he surprised me with an email a few weeks ago titled "Sun-Lite Convertible"...

SunliteConvertibleSmall.jpg

And this morning he sent me more photos....

This one is a bit confusing but it's the same corner upside down and the damaged wood laid on top. The white metal is a repair by the previous owner. Note that it too is bent up.

SunlitePreviousRepairSmall.jpg

Repair work underway....

SunliteLookingBetterSmall.jpg

And this is how the roof turned out....

SunliteRepairedRoofSmall.jpg

I don't yet have a photo of the roof back on the camper but I understand it went back on with no issues and the camper is ready for its next trip.

Back
Top Bottom