Roof Struts

lmwilco1

Advanced Member
I have a 2019 Grandby shell that came from the factory with 30 pound struts front and back. They worked fine until I added 2 160W solar panels to the roof. Now lifting the roof is very tough. I read the huge roof strut thread and it sounded like FWC recommends a max of 40 pound struts. I don't think that will be enough for my roof weight. I saw that a few people went with stronger struts, I want to see if anyone has any long term feedback using external struts rated higher than 40 pounds. I would prefer not to use the speaker stand as it is one more think to haul around.

Thanks for any feedback.

Louis

The struts don't help lift much until the roof is halfway up or so because of bad mechanical advantage. You still need a boost with the first part of the lift. I have 40# struts and I still need to use my shoulder or back to initiate the lift. Since I usually have some sort of roof load, like a canoe or kayak plus the Yakima Rack, I use the speaker stand. It is my belief that using it will keep me from having to repair or replace my lift panels over time. I don't think FWC recommends going stronger than 40# struts. They have strengthened the strut mountings in newer models, but that is probably where the weight limits are.

Not any real help here, but I built up a pair of lightweight solar panels (14 lbs each, installed), and lifting the roof is very manageable. I’ve never heard of it before, but I lift either end of the roof just by putting my head against it and standing up :).

I have 60# struts in the back and 80# struts up front. In use for one year, 42 camping nights. No issues yet. I still have to push hard on the front one to get it started when the 40# canoe is up there with the 330W solar panel. Back is more of a problem getting it DOWN when the canoe is not up there.

I replaced the 30 pound struts with 40 pounders and the effort to lift the roof is acceptable again. $127.50 delivered to the door from Amazon in about a week. Is anyone looking for a set of used 30 pound struts that are less than 2 years old?

160w and 170w Zamp panels, Yakima rails and two vents....OEM #40 front and #30 in back....I replaced #30 rear with #40lb strut...like has been said the first 6-8 " of lift are on you with no assist from struts....with new panel and the added 14lbs [in back] the front is tougher and even with the new strut in back I need to put the top of my head under the wooden cross member in back and use my legs to start the back up to where the strut takes over...coming down takes more controlling for certain..but no big deal with weight I have on roof.

FWC was going to sell me #50 struts but I bought directly from the manufacturer [Suspa] and went with #40...cost was less and as I was told Suspa will only honor warranty if bought from them.

I replaced the factory 40# struts on my 2017 Grandby with 60# struts 2-3 years ago. I have had no issues and lifting is much improved. I have two 160 watt solar panels on the roof.

I went with 60# in the front and rear of my 2020 Raven. I have 80lbs of glass panels on the roof.
raven1.jpg

We use the speaker stand to lift our roof on our Ocelot (no solar, but usually boat(s) and/or a rocket box). Way easier than muscling it up and it just is laid on the floor so easy to get to.

I reached out to Suspa to see if I can get 60# struts for my 1986 Grandby remodel. I am installing roof tracks, 2 solar panels, added 2 maxxaire fans and also added cross bracing to stiffen up the roof. They are asking me a couple of questions and I am hoping someone here can help me out.

[SIZE=14.6667px]edit: Found out from Suspa the model number for 60 lbs [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]C16-10198[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]35.43” extended[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]19.29” compressed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]60lb. force[/SIZE]

C16-10944 at 80lbs.

[SIZE=11pt]C16-15952 at 40lbs.[/SIZE]

Get a speaker stand - we use it up and down when weight is on the roof. Eight years and no issues and so easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom