Roof vent that cools?

bike4mee

<p>I bet this topic has been around but, I want to get a better cooling system for the roof vent. Anybody had any luck with solar powered fan vents? Can you reverse them to blow in instead of out? I had a swamp cooler on a old camper I had. It worked alright. Does anybody still make these? Somebody must have a cooler idea</p>
<p>thanks</p>

Leaving condenser cooling aside for a minute, the fans on my 2016 blow in or out and have three speed settings. Other than solar, what would you change?

knoxswift said:
Anyone have one of these:

https://zerobreeze.com/
I don't trust it. There's a reason AC units are placed outside of the area to be cooled, so the heat that the process produces is completely outside of the building. That thing says it comes with an exhaust pipe so you pipe the heat outside. So with that design, air from the room is being cooled and piped back into the room, and more air from the room is being exhausted out of the room to carry the heat away. Which means that the room is having air removed from it, which must be replaced from somewhere, most likely from outside, which is hot enough to make you want an AC going. I'm sure it might cool the room somewhat, but I can't see it being very effective or efficient.

I know the BOX A/C I use in my apartment is the exact design of this little unit.
The box A/C is the same has a hose to connect to the window and it cools the apartment well enough when needed. but no drain just a tub you have to empty.

I'm thinking that little unit might do "well enough" for a camper?

Also, my fan is like what gaylon states in and out flow with 3 speeds. However, in the desert at 114*....it doesn't help much at all even on highest setting.

What might work better is the dual fan setup (Which I don't have) where one of the fans is above the sleeping area and that might be helpful.

knoxswift said:
I know the BOX A/C I use in my apartment is the exact design of this little unit.
The box A/C is the same has a hose to connect to the window and it cools the apartment well enough when needed. but no drain just a tub you have to empty.

I'm thinking that little unit might do "well enough" for a camper?

Also, my fan is like what gaylon states in and out flow with 3 speeds. However, in the desert at 114*....it doesn't help much at all even on highest setting.

What might work better is the dual fan setup (Which I don't have) where one of the fans is above the sleeping area and that might be helpful.
I am hopeful that opening the turnbuckle areas up (I just screened them) with the fan blowing in will create some needed circulation.

Well looks like that Zero Breeze is a zero.
That Facebook link reads as though the first units were worthless. They changed AC DC adapter for later shipments and then it was hit or miss if it actually worked.
Maybe check back in another year if they don't go out of business maybe it might improve.

That FB page was a Good Find!!

gaylon said:
I am hopeful that opening the turnbuckle areas up (I just screened them) with the fan blowing in will create some needed circulation.
Let us know how it works out. I read about screening those too...might try it.
The 1 fan flows, if you have the little window open you can feel it circulating but desert camping I wish I had the fan right above the bed.
I can't add a 2nd now I installed a roof rack...doh!

Just replaced my front vent with a new Fantastic Fan to add to the one in back. Not hard to do, FWC had already wired it to the opening. Made a pretty good addition especially when you bring air in on one, air out on the other. It works good enough in 90+ heat, but that's not 110+.

So, Fantastics are the thing it sounds like. Does anybody know if 4wc has put a 12v wire to the stock vent that there now? I have 2011 kestral???

I also run the 2 Fantastic fans (one each vent) and set so that one is sucking air in, one is blowing air out.

It is pretty effective but as an example, I camped in Abilene, TX last month and it was 100F outside and 92F was the coolest we go the inside of tha camper (in the shade) until about 10PM. I would say thats better than 100 but damn it was hot.
So I guess what I'm saying is that it's all relative. Places where you are in the 80's outside it can get you comfortable....but there is a point where ieven the Fantastic fans can only do so much.

Back
Top Bottom