Rooftop AC

ZackClarke

Hi All, I’m looking into purchasing a flatbed Grandby for my family of four. My main concern is the lack of an air conditioning option for the flatbed models. I see Dometic makes a new 12v option that is made to run off battery power. One that weighs 50lbs. and has 4,094 BTU’s and one that weights 70lbs. with 6,824 BTU’s. My first question is it seems like the roof should be able to handle the weight? I’m not planning to carry anything else on the roof besides the solar panels. Second would be, if it is manageable to install the rooftop ac would the 4,000 BTU’s or even the 6,800 be enough to make it worth the purchase, install and added weight ?? Thanks. Link to Dometic ac units - https://rackupgo.com/products/dometic-rtx-1000-air-conditioner-1200w-12v-9600028489

The roof might be able to handle the weight, but can you? 50 lbs of AC and 40 lbs of PV panel is darn near 100 pounds. I have a bit more than that on my roof, and at 65 yrs old it is getting hard to lift....

Hi Vic, thanks for the reply! Fortunately I’m a relatively young 37 and in pretty good shape so pushing up 100 +\- pounds doesn’t sound too bad… Especially since my wife could help if need be 99% of the time and if it gets my family some ac in hot conditions.

ZackClarke said:
Hi Vic, thanks for the reply! Fortunately I’m a relatively young 37 and in pretty good shape so pushing up 100 +\- pounds doesn’t sound too bad… Especially since my wife could help if need be 99% of the time and if it gets my family some ac in hot conditions.
OK, next challenge would be distributing the weight on the roof so that it doesn't bend. And then figuring out how to run the power wires.

Unit looks nice...question; "18amp" does that mean it will draw 18amps per hour? Will your battery handle that?

Also it is 100 lbs plus weight of roof....there are means to lift mechanically....lifting inside can be cramped, especially the first lift at the rear...

I'd find something about that weight to test if its really feasible first. I could lift my roof with my kayak up there but it wasn't fun and I won't do it again.

That the install kit comes with 4ga wire kind of concerns me.

I've thought a lot about adding a roof unit but was concerned about routing heavy gauge wire nicely. I was planning to upgrade the struts but have to consider the mount points and the rating limit on them which I think was 40lbs.

For the time being I use a portal unit and vent it out of my window. It's made by EcoFlow and is a Heater/AC. I also added reflectix between my thermal layer which makes a good difference.

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/wave-2-portable-air-conditioner?variant=40541971710025

I would be concerned about the weight because it is not distributed over a large area but will be concentrated in a small area. This might not be a problem with highway driving but any rough roads/trails could cause the frame or welds to crack. I have a 5k BTU unit in my Hawk where the rear window was, it does the job but is working hard when temps hit the low-mid 90s. I would go with the 6800 a/c as a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom