Route 66 - in the 1950's

Thanks...images of the remarkable post war prosperity...look at ALL the retail products one could buy in Smallville....

This was our parents world and we are all addicted to buying widgets on Amazon....Gee... go figure.

Thanks for sharing...imaes are always a powerful connection to the past.

David Graves

Thanks for the link.In 1966 I drove 66 from Ca. to OK city.
Most was still 2 lane and through Arizona the pavement was different colors
depending on the crushed rock used in the asphalt mix.
There would reds,black even some yellow colors.
Driving the stretch Barstow to Needles the road just seemed to flow over the natural surface of the land.
It was like a "kids roller coaster". The first 4 lane I remember was west of Flagstaff for a few miles.
Then the road would be one way in either direction through town.
All the towns along the route from Ca. to New Mexico took you straight through the town.I think some
of the 4 lane was also built in the Texas panhandle.

I traveled that road several times over about 9 years and every time there was less of the 2 lane.
Lots of great memories.

Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Driving the stretch Barstow to Needles the road just seemed to flow over the natural surface of the land.
It was like a "kids roller coaster". The first 4 lane I remember was west of Flagstaff for a few miles.
All the towns along the route from Ca. to New Mexico took you straight through the town.I think some

I traveled that road several times over about 9 years and every time there was less of the 2 lane.
Lots of great memories.

Frank
What a special trip Frank!

I've sought out the remaining stretches here and there in the southwest over that last 6 years...but, not the same. Not even close to my dad's images of the route from the days he drove it end to near end (Chicago to LA). I don't think he ever made it completely to Santa Monica.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:

Lots of great memories.

Frank
Thanks, my memory also Frank. My dad moved our family from Wisconsin to Southern California in 1953. Our route was 66. Being a Midwestern family, family vacations were always back to Wisconsin to visit family. Our route 66. Family illnesses, deaths, funerals, weddings often took us back to Wisconsin. Our route was 66. I feel like I grew up on that ribbon of highway. The home my dad built for the family at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains was a few miles north of Foothill Blvd - highway 66. 66 was our route everywhere. How these photos bring the memories back!

One time it was 4th of July and I was driving west 0n 66 and came through the town of Valentin Az.
They were having a parade. Stopped and watched.
Didn't take very long but it sure was a hot day.
I was in my 1967 GT 350 and no AC.
Not sure I miss those days.
But once in a while the memories are fun.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom