San Diego to BC !

Phil

We are off on our first big trip(more than 5 nights)15 0r 20 nights in our FWC.... :D We plan on going up the 15 north to Ta Ta Creek ,BC . Looking for ideas of places to see on the way up ? Day one early lunch in Las Vegas then to St George for the night and Zion for the day. From there I don't know where to stop :eek: . I want to spend a day our so in Glacier National Park Mt.
Any input would be greatly taken.

Phil

Here are a few pics of my Mods

Attachments

• P5140030.jpg
    P5140030.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 426
  • P5140035.jpg
    P5140035.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 427
  • P5080013.jpg
    P5080013.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 418
Jasper & Banff!

mxvp,

A couple years ago (before we had the camper) we made a run down from Prince Rupert through Prince George and Jasper into Banff/Canmore then down BC 93 into Radium Hot Springs, Whitefish MT and Missoula MT.

The run from Tete Jaune Cache (T John Cash) through Radium Hot Springs was drop dead beautiful. We were running fast in the cooler off season and it was a motel trip for us so I don't have good information on camp areas but check B.C. Parks at: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/ for the provincial parks. There's probably another site for national parks but I don't have it bookmarked. I do remember one nice looking campground near Jasper.

The Drive B.C. site at: http://www.drivebc.ca/ is a great site too. It gives road conditions, including construction, and you can get to B.C. Weather from there too.

We didn't hit Glacier Park on that run but it's easy access off of US 93 via US 2.

I haven't looked but I'm pretty sure the Alaska Milepost covers the run through Banff/Jasper parks. If so, it would be a good resource for you on camp areas, fishing, sights, etc.

The folks in Jasper said May was the best time of year to visit since the bulk of the tourists haven't shown up yet and the weather usually isn't terrible.

Not sure where Ta Ta Creek is so hope I haven't gotten too far off track here.

We'll look forward to your trip report with lots of pics and information on good spots to camp!

Happy Trails,
'birds

Mr Snowbird

Thanks for the links and the good information. Ta Ta creek is just North of Kimberly,BC. :D I will post pictures and all the highlights when I get back.
We just finished packing and cant wait to go.. 25 hours until take off.

Phil

Some Southern Utah suggestions

MXVP

I lived in Southern Utah for about twenty years before coming east. Since you'll be nearby when you visit Zion I strongly recommend the Coral Pink Sand Dunes state park, you can get there quickest by leaving the park through the east entrance on highway 9, turning right on 89 at Mt Carmel Junction. Turn right on either Yellow Jacket Canyon or Hancock roads (well marked) and you are at the park in ten to fifteen minutes. Sand Dunes are beautiful this time of year, and campsites and pull offs are numerous.

If you're animal lovers (many wander the westers are) Best Friends Animal Society, the worlds largest no kill animal sanctuary is just down 89 a few miles from the dunes. I am a veterinarian by training and worked there. Kanab is well worth a visit as well, aka Utah's "Little Hollywood", many films including the Outlaw Josey Wales, Gunsmoke and the Lone Ranger were filmed in Kanab's red rock canyons. The Rewind Cafe on main street is my favorite place to eat in Kanab. Make sure to stop in at Willow Canyon, a great outdoor gear/book/coffee store. "Kanab" means Willow in paiute, btw.

I know you are planning on heading north but you aren't far from the North Rim (1.25 hrs) of the Grand Canyon if you're in Kanab, and there is nothing more beautiful than a full moon at Paraswampits or Fire points on the North Rim. Make sure you have a full spare though, the Kaibab's limestone roads can sure chew up tires.

Hope this helps

We love Dogs

Thanks for the kewll :) places to check out. we will see where the roads lead us.

Here is a pic of our rescue HOUND Harry the Dawg
Thanks Phil & Miri

Attachments

• CIMG0011_37.jpg
    CIMG0011_37.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 361
  • P3220065.jpg
    P3220065.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 356
if your going to be close to kimberly pop over to white swan hot springs (stones throw away) and spend a night or 2 there... its getting a little bit over crowded these days but its amazing spot.

spent 2 nights there with my camper this past fall!

All of the Provincial parks are great when your tired and just need a place to pop the top for the night. $15 or $20 but keep in mind they close the front gate at 11:00 pm, some actually do and some don't but they all have signs that say Gate Closed 11:00 to 6:00.

Glacier NP

MXVP- Don't know if you have already departed but if not I put up an intro thread on the ATC section that has my favorite tips for camping around Glacier. The park is about 40 min. from my house.
Also, last May I took a very nice trip up the Icefields Pkwy then west and back down along the Columbia River in BC, very pretty country and,especially by CA standards, no people. Enjoy your trip.

Here Ya Go We made it back!

We spent 19 nights in our FWC - it was awesome:thumb:. We stopped at White Fish Lake, Montana. From there we headed up to Ta Ta Creek, BC. My buddy has a few hundred hectares. We set up camp and started the fun. We swam in freezing cold lakes and rivers. We soaked in HOT springs, hunted, fished, hiked, shot guns. We saw White tail, Elk, Moose with 2 babies. Bald and Golden Eagles, coyotes . And lots more. My wife (Miri) hunted almost every day with her hunting Dawg Harry the mini schnauzer ground squirrel. The weather was great, mid 80s and low teens. One day we packed up and did the tourist thing and went to Fort Steel out side of Kimberly. On our way back to our truck I saw this crazy looking Land Cruiser:eek: so as I was snapping up some pics of this thing for all of us. The owner walked over and gave me the full tour and story in Swiss German. I had to beg my sweet Miri to come translate for me. This guy and his wife are on a 3year tour. He built this rig 2 solar panels 700 yes 700 liters of diesel and 200 liters of water. I will tell his story later, way to crazy but cool. After 2 weeks in BC we packed up and headed southwest to the coast. We took 5 days to see all we could see. We took HWY1 through the Red Woods. What an amazing place, I could not believe how huge those suckers are! We stayed the night at Half Moon Bay. Before we hit San Fran, we took a 8 hour detour:confused: to Woodland to get the roof lift assist installed. I was emailing Stan and he said stop on in. Thanks Stan for your help. My wife can now lift it up. I have a bad back and a bad wrist. I was doing fine on lifting it the way it was.. Until the day we left BC as I was lowering the back and caught my fingers and smashed the #$%*@ out of them. It was a easy sell for me to spend the $$$ . It was the best trip we have ever been on. Here is a few pics of our trip. I can’t post all 1800… :eek:

Attachments

• P6010070.jpg
    P6010070.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 161
  • P6010101.jpg
    P6010101.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 100_0520.jpg
    100_0520.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_0527.jpg
    100_0527.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCN3517.jpg
    DSCN3517.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 166
a few more

more pics of all the fun

Attachments

• CIMG0164.jpg
    CIMG0164.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 169
and more

it was a great time

Attachments

• CIMG0014_5.jpg
    CIMG0014_5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 162
and more

i have moer if you want

Attachments

• CIMG0002_4.jpg
    CIMG0002_4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 163
  • CIMG0008.jpg
    CIMG0008.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG0014_3_2.jpg
    CIMG0014_3_2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG0105_3.jpg
    CIMG0105_3.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 165
ok here ya go

I will send more :D

Attachments

• CIMG0005.jpg
    CIMG0005.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 151
  • CIMG0007_3_2.jpg
    CIMG0007_3_2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 152
  • CIMG0027_2_2.jpg
    CIMG0027_2_2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 150
  • CIMG0040_5.jpg
    CIMG0040_5.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 145
  • CIMG0053_2_2.jpg
    CIMG0053_2_2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 138
the bear looking for food :eek: My first time fishing, catch and release. I am not a fish eater:(

Attachments

• CIMG0070.jpg
    CIMG0070.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 139
  • CIMG0071.jpg
    CIMG0071.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG0099_2.jpg
    CIMG0099_2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 142
  • CIMG0118.jpg
    CIMG0118.jpg