Screen Door Latch

BrianG

I have a 2015 Hawk and the screen door latch no longer latches. It's always been marginal, but has worked, but no longer. I've adjusted it as far to the latch side as possible.

Anyone else with this problem and a solution?

Thanks

Here are a few pictures of the latch, it's the slide type. I emailed FWC and the slide latches on the 2015 Hawks were discontinued by the manufacturer. The new latches aren't compatible with the"older" doors. I've ask FWC if the new doors fit on my 2015 Hawk.

Being able to close the screen door is kin-dove important don't you think? Now that I've examined the door and how it works, its far from bug proof anyway. Lot's of gaps in the insulation, so now I know where some of the bugs are getting in.

I have a few options, I could add a metal plate to the door jam to catch the latch or I could remove the door and widen the door hinge holes to move the door closer to the latch jam.

Looking for any ideas or easy fixes.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 261
Hello BrianG
I was thinking along the same lines as what Advmoto18. There should be some kind of adjustment or a way to get the slide moving further out. What is stopping the slide?

Russ

Don't say that in the Alaskan forum ... :ninja:...

Being able to close the screen door is kin-dove important don't you think?

I'm thinking the "add a metal plate to the door jam to catch the latch" might be worth a try if maybe you could pop rivet the plate on.

ON EDIT: never mind, deleted the rest, won't work as a two way latch

I was not happy with the OEM screen door latch on my 2014 Fleet, so I replaced it with magnets. There are small but very powerful ones available these days.

Two round magnets hold the screen door to the main door and a single rectangular one holds the screen door to the frame. The round ones just screwed on. I had to modify the door frame and make an aluminum bracket for the other one. Each magnet came with a steel strike plate, which I had to use because everything is aluminum. I also had to add little aluminum handle pieces to both sides of the screen door. I got the magnets from McMaster-Carr.

This arrangement is very convenient: Just pull or push the screen door to open it. I can even push it open with my foot while going out. The attraction between the main door and screen door is stronger than between the screen and frame, so when the door is opened, the screen comes with it.

It probably won't solve your insect problem but, otherwise, magnets are the way to go.

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
I was not happy with the OEM screen door latch on my 2014 Fleet, so I replaced it with magnets. There are small but very powerful ones available these days.

Two round magnets hold the screen door to the main door and a single rectangular one holds the screen door to the frame. The round ones just screwed on. I had to modify the door frame and make an aluminum bracket for the other one. Each magnet came with a steel strike plate, which I had to use because everything is aluminum. I also had to add little aluminum handle pieces to both sides of the screen door. I got the magnets from McMaster-Carr.

This arrangement is very convenient: Just pull or push the screen door to open it. I can even push it open with my foot while going out. The attraction between the main door and screen door is stronger than between the screen and frame, so when the door is opened, the screen comes with it.

It probably won't solve your insect problem but, otherwise, magnets are the way to go.

- Bernard
This sounds very cool. Could you share a picture or too?

This thread reminded me that the screen latch on my '01 Hawk began acting up recently. I believe the spring has weakened and won't push the lever back up high enough to engage. I can get it to latch if I remember to lift up on the lever as I close the screen door but I'd rather have it operate normally.

I thought I'd post a photo of it and a likely source for a direct replacement.

(Click to enlarge)

HawkScreenDoorLatch.jpg

I believe this Amazon listing for a Dexter Axle 4442-01 Lever Latch is it. Note that the photo in the listing is upside-down.

My door is hinged on the right as you look at it from outside. If yours is hinged on the left, look for part number 4442-02.

The listing says it's for a Philips RV screen door and I know that's what the door is from the original screen slide -- the word Philips is embossed on the back of the slide (Note- the one in the photo is a clear replacement). I also know that Dexter Axle bought out Philips Products in 2009.

Also- here's another listing for the 4442-01 and it includes a spare spring (and apparently a better price if there isn't a shipping surprise). The photos also show what the spring looks like.

I installed the new latch for my 01 Hawk's Philips door screen yesterday. Yep, the 4442-01 is a direct replacement for the original.

After my post above, I found a 4442-01 on Ebay from the same Big Pine Key, Florida seller but this listing included two spare springs and shipping for $13.75 total.

The installation was simple and obvious-- just replace the parts, check for proper operation, make any adjustments needed, tighten down the screws.

(click photo to enlarge)

HawkNewScreenDoorHandle.jpg

I noticed a small change in the striker plate on the door-- it's now open in the middle but otherwise a duplicate of the original. (The photo shows the old one posed above the new one).

HawkScreenDoorStrikers.jpg

I had thought the problem with my old one was a worn-out spring. But when I split the old lever assembly apart, I found one of the plastic ears of the spring mount slot had broken off.

HawkScreenDoorLeverSplitOpen.jpg . HawkScreenDoorBrokenSpringMount.jpg

if it's not broke you can take it apart, clean it, adjust, use some dry lube and reinstall, I did this last year and it worked perfect after I took it all apart and cleaned it and lubed

BrianG said:
Here are a few pictures of the latch, it's the slide type. I emailed FWC and the slide latches on the 2015 Hawks were discontinued by the manufacturer. The new latches aren't compatible with the"older" doors. I've ask FWC if the new doors fit on my 2015 Hawk.

Being able to close the screen door is kin-dove important don't you think? Now that I've examined the door and how it works, its far from bug proof anyway. Lot's of gaps in the insulation, so now I know where some of the bugs are getting in.

I have a few options, I could add a metal plate to the door jam to catch the latch or I could remove the door and widen the door hinge holes to move the door closer to the latch jam.

Looking for any ideas or easy fixes.

Brian
I have the same latch. Any idea who makes it? I would like a spare before it breaks.

Pantone 453 said:
I have the same latch. Any idea who makes it? I would like a spare before it breaks.

The photos aren't great for trying to find a match by scanning through photos of RV screen door latches on the web. But there are some odd shapes in BrianG's photos that suggest it's made by Challenger Doors as their model SDL3.

Link

I was unable to find any for sale. This Ebay seller was selling factory surplus ones but appears to be out of stock (worth an email?). The other thought is to call Challenger to see what they suggest.

Old Crow said:
The photos aren't great for trying to find a match by scanning through photos of RV screen door latches on the web. But there are some odd shapes in BrianG's photos that suggest it's made by Challenger Doors as their model SDL3.

Link

I was unable to find any for sale. This Ebay seller was selling factory surplus ones but appears to be out of stock (worth an email?). The other thought is to call Challenger to see what they suggest.
Thank you!

bfhrn wrote:
Howdy from Jackson Hole!

Could you please reference specific products in the McMaster-Carr site? I don't know what type of magnet, size, and can't find anything with strike plates. Don't want to get too weak magnets or too strong. Would 2 magnets facing eachother, one on door & one on screen work? What little aluminum handle piece on both sides of screen door worked with such tight quarters?

I can't visualize using a rectangular magnet "holding screen door to the frame". Perhaps this is a FWC design superseeded on my 2017?

You're saving me a LOT of time. I was contemplating putting bolts thru the door... Which I KNEW wouldn't last with the thin wall construction.

Infinite Thankx!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom