Screws backing out

Shadyapex

Hi everybody, the screws on the front of my Eagle are continually backing out, some to the point of falling out. It's kind of annoying as I then have to take the camper off in order to tighten them again.
Any suggestions on what might help keep them in place? Maybe some wood glue in the holes before re-installing the screws? Anybody else have this problem?
Here's a pic;

Attachments

• DSCF3681.jpg
    DSCF3681.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 191
I think I'd want those sealed with a sealant, which can also act like an adhesive.

Lots of threads on sealants on WTW, with opinions varying as much as... when someone asks "What oil should I use in my truck?", or "Which tires should I use on my truck?".

Thanks guys, I figured if I asked the right people I'd get a good answer. Did a quick web search and the the stuff looks like just the ticket. Steve,,,,

Beach said:
Clean the surfaces and put them back in with 3m 5200.
Caution: 3M 5200 is really (as in REALLY) hard to remove once it's set. It might be a bit more permanent than you want. If you ever have to remove the screws for a repair, you could be making some extra work.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Caution: 3M 5200 is really (as in REALLY) hard to remove once it's set. It might be a bit more permanent than you want. If you ever have to remove the screws for a repair, you could be making some extra work.
+1

5200 for stuff that will never need to be separated, 4000 series for stuff you might to separate in the future.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=510

Paul

I've been told by a friend in the Chandlery business that a heat gun works wonders on 5200. Add in the mechanical leverage that you have in the screw threads and I'm not so sure that using it results in a permanent install.

The screws used on our Phoenix have a high helix angle to them, much "faster" than either a wood screw or a sheet metal screw. I'm sure that is why ours back out like they do.

FWC uses silaprene because it seals but doesn't make removal difficult and is relatively easy to clean off of a surface. They'll sell you a tube or you can ask which one they use and buy it online.

Back
Top Bottom