SE Oregon: Fandango Canyon to 395

natjwest

Contributors
I'm planning a trip to SE Oregon for the coming months and have read about the Fandango Canyon rd connecting Christmas Valley to 395 north of Lake Abert. But I've only read about it on advrider.com forums, on motorcycles.

Has anyone on this forum ever taken that road in a truck? Is it something I can easily accomplish?

Thanks!

Never heard of it Nate but let me know what you find out and when you plan on doing it. I may be down to joining you for a day or two if that's ok.

There are a few roads out in the general Fandango Canyon area. I'm not sure this route you mention is one I've been on but there are routes from US-395 to Christmas Valley or Summer Lake. With rare exception roads in that country that are "roads" are traverse-able with a good 4x4 pickup. Depending on the time of year chosen It should make for a good trip.

In planning, be aware that if coming from the east or US-395 to the Christmas Valley side some really primitive roads may hit private property and not be a thoroughfare.

I'd call the Lakeview District BLM at 541-947-2177. They are the management agency in that neck of the woods,(or brush)and should be able to answer any questions you may have.

Fandango Canyon rd connecting Christmas Valley to 395 north of Lake Abert

natjwest-
Is this more-or-less the route that you're thinking of doing?

Google Maps Route

XmasValley-Fandango-395.JPG

I've never done this and don't know anything about it (except C to B then southwest down to Paisley, which I've done once), but it looks interesting (if not blocked by posted private property).

(Speaking of being blocked by Private Property: I once tried to explore my way south from Glass Buttes following roads on maps that showed I could come out on 395 north of Wagontire...only to be eventually frustrated by "No Tresspassing -- THIS MEANS YOU" and had to double-back all the way to 20.
sad.gif
angry.gif
)

Yes Mark, that's it. There are a couple references to folks doing it on the advrider.com forums so I don't think it's a "No Tresspassing" issue. The upper section has no reference in my Benchmark atlas but the southern section shows an okay road. I'm really just wondering if it'll be too slow and painful for the truck and camper (3/4 ton with Grandby). The guys on the motobikes really haul ass on dirt and gravel roads and that's not something that I think my wife and daughter would care to do.

Back
Top Bottom