Shade House / Screen House recommendations please

OutbacKamper

My new, to me, 2013 FWC Hawk does not have a side awning. My previous, '03 Hawk had the Fiamma awning. I loved the Fiamma quality and ease of use and it worked well for a quick deployment single night stay. However it did not offer a very large area of protection against sun or rain, so when staying for multiple nights in one spot I would set up my First-Up 10x10 screen house. This would also allow us to leave camp for the day and return to a fully set up camp with chairs, table outdoor kitchen, etc all protected by the 10x10 shelter.

I have thought about different side awning options to add to the '13 Hawk, but I think I could manage with just a free standing shade house - if I could find one that is lighter, more compact (when stored) and easier/faster to set up than my current 10x10 First-Up which is in need of replacement after 13 years of use (50"x8"x8" when stored, steel frame, weighs about 40lbs).

IMG9941-L.jpg

After a few hours on internet searching, the best candidate I have located is this QuikShade Solo LT90 aluminum frame model:
161583_Solo90_Charcoal_Blue.jpg

Can anyone comment on their experience with this make and or model? Are there other better makes out there?
Thanks

We go into some pretty buggy country, and I find that a screen tent is just as or more important than shade. Ours is a REI version with a rain fly, and it does a good job of keeping biting critters out. What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks. We usually have a tarp along as well for quick shade in not so buggy country.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We go into some pretty buggy country, and I find that a screen tent is just as or more important than shade. Ours is a REI version with a rain fly, and it does a good job of keeping biting critters out. What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks. We usually have a tarp along as well for quick shade in not so buggy country.
I tend to avoid bug infested areas as much as possible. I have the optional screen sides for the First-Up and have probably used them about 3-4 times at most. On the other hand I tend to need shade and/or rain protection on almost every trip.

" What it doesn't do is keep springer spaniels from ripping through the screen to chase chipmunks." :D I can see how chasing chipmunks would be [SIZE=10.5pt]irresistible. [/SIZE]

We have a Kelty shade house that we are pretty happy with. We only set it up if we are going to be camping in the same place for a few nights, but its nice to have the option of putting shade up when you need it/want it. I also have the awning on the back of the camper which is handy too for a quick deploy, but of course limited on location.

Keep an eye on Sierra trading post and REI garage and you can pick up last year's model of a shade tent pretty reasonable. I've got about $100 into mine and for that it was a good investment.

After reading a review in a thread here I bought one of these along with 3 solid sides:

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9879-Quick-Set-140-Inch/dp/B00TMBENDS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481553730&sr=8-2&keywords=Clam+screen+house

We have set it up once to use, in high winds (50+ mph) and it was stable and secure. We did not put the sides on it in those winds, but the top's shape is enough to have possibly caused trouble and it did not. I expect to be able to use it as a shower house by placing the door side (can't get a solid side for that face) against the truck.

Thanks for the input everyone. That Cabelas screen house looks like it is very good value for the size, however (like all "tent" styles) it looks like it would be very time consuming to erect. Lots of shock cord poles to assemble and thread through the pockets in the roof and sides. I am looking for something much quicker and easier to erect.

ntsqd said:
After reading a review in a thread here I bought one of these along with 3 solid sides:

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9879-Quick-Set-140-Inch/dp/B00TMBENDS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1481553730&sr=8-2&keywords=Clam+screen+house

We have set it up once to use, in high winds (50+ mph) and it was stable and secure. We did not put the sides on it in those winds, but the top's shape is enough to have possibly caused trouble and it did not. I expect to be able to use it as a shower house by placing the door side (can't get a solid side for that face) against the truck.
I have been reading up on that model, it seems very quick to set up. When packed it seems pretty bulky (72"x8"x8"), how much does it weigh?

ntsqd said:

That's the biggest one they make, right? Do you find it big enough to go over most picnic tables? Would you consider having it OVER a fire pit? I know that last one sounds crazy, but we have had good luck with carefully positioning a tarp high over (and slightly to the side of) a fire pit and still being able to sit under it, with most of the heat/smoke going up and past the tarp.... Just a dream maybe, or a nightmare if it caught on fire.

Vic Harder said:
That's the biggest one they make, right? Do you find it big enough to go over most picnic tables? Would you consider having it OVER a fire pit? I know that last one sounds crazy, but we have had good luck with carefully positioning a tarp high over (and slightly to the side of) a fire pit and still being able to sit under it, with most of the heat/smoke going up and past the tarp.... Just a dream maybe, or a nightmare if it caught on fire.
They do make one that is a little bigger at 150" square, called the Pavilion. It's pretty nice because it has the wind/rain panels included, which you pay extra for on their smaller models. However it comes with a hefty price tag of $480.00.

OutbacKamper said:
161583_Solo90_Charcoal_Blue.jpg

Can anyone comment on their experience with this make and or model? Are there other better makes out there?
Thanks
I ordered a Shelter Logic HD Popup 10x10 canopy last September when they had their 50% select item sale.

Screenshot_2016_12_20_06_56_12.png

We are very happy with the SL HD canopy. But please note, it is HEAVY (~65#)! But then it is Heavy Duty. We needed a canopy to withstand the winds on the Outer Banks of NC and this canopy fits the bill. It also requires 2 people to setup. I haven't tried to set it up by myself out of fear of damaging the legs. The entire kit comes in a very nice roller bag; but impossible to roll through sand. Tote handles are on each end of the bag so your setup helper can assist toting it to the setup location.

Do your research! I discovered while researching for a popup canopy, most <$150, non-HD canopies have a high failure rate in light winds. Further, legs seem to be easily damaged, even when following explicit instructions.

Regardless of the make/model you choose, be sure to use tie-downs even in the lightest winds. And lower the canopy to the lowest setting when done using it in the evening. Note the air vent in the top of the SL model pictured above; this is an important design element if you are going to be using the canopy in windy environments.

Something that I saw being used in the desert for a canopy anchor where a stake just isn't possible was 4 of those 5 gallon collapsible water jugs. Guy lines were tied off to their handles after they were filled with water.

Thinking on it further, 4 of the telescoping poles (ours are from Cabela's) along with a tarp and the above anchors could be used near/next to a fire pit where there are no trees to guy off to.

I posted this picture of our 6' x 6' Clam a few months ago on another thread. It is not as large as most of the covers you are looking at but for two people, it works very well. With the three rain/wind panels attached it becomes a snug and secure shelter. It is relatively light weight, is fairly compact, and very easy to set up and take down.

Attachments

• Clam at Carrizo 1.jpg
    Clam at Carrizo 1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 224
It is a Big Agnes Twin Butte Car Tarp. If you are not familiar with them, Big Agnes is a company similar to The North Face, Sierra Designs, etc. Jeff at ATC fabricated and installed two small aluminum brackets, one on each side of the top of the back wall of the camper. Each bracket is notched and the Twin Butte simply slips into the notches. It is a pretty nice set up.

Back
Top Bottom