Shake down Diablo Mountian

Can Roger make the Mt. Diablo shake down?

• Umm, read my reply ya wanker.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Roger

I am picking up my FWC Ranger about mid November from Woodland and taking my 6 year old and maybe my 4 year old up to Mount Diablo for the shakedown.(21 days and counting) I am getting the LPG tanks purged and filled at the factory. Grey water will be into a 5 gal bucket. I have heat, 25 degree sleeping bags, leveling blocks, a level, breakfast food. I live 5 miles from the top of Mt Diablo. What am I missing? :rolleyes:

I will also be taking the 6 year old boy with me to Yosemite November 21 to 24. I've tent camped with him in the summer, what can expect late in Yosemite late November? Cold, rain, snow? Let me know

Thanks

Roger and Hunter and (sometimes) Mae.

Sorry to change the subject, but where are you going to camp on Mt. Diablo? What activities will you do? I live about 10 miles from there and am interested to know. I was just speaking to someone the other day about camping there.

Darryl

I am staying at Juniper campground: You can reserve it here

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120061

Usually we go up for day trips and just walk around and or got to the top observation point.

I've never camped there before, but thought it would be close enough for a good shakedown trip.

thanks!

Roger

I predict you will survive in comfort provided you remember to set the thermostat high enough and don't worry about the propane tanks which will hold up fine for that period.
I am not sure I would take a 4 year-old unless I was expecting to need help with my computer.

I am not sure I would take a 4 year-old unless I was expecting to need help with my computer.

LOL, how true !!

I've never camped on Mt. Diablo, but used to work on radio repeaters up there so have been on top many times. Late summer/fall is Tarantula mating season on the mountian. It's a bit late now, but you might still
be lucky enough to see a few out looking for mates. During the peak of the season, they're everywhere, lots of them crossing the road as you drive up. Always fun to watch.

Interesting that you would mention the Tarantula's, Deltarat. I was up on Mines road out of Livermore today and stopped and observed one walking across the road.

Darryl

Interesting that you would mention the Tarantula's, Deltarat. I was up on Mines road out of Livermore today and stopped and observed one walking across the road.

Darryl

What you saw was a male out cruising for females. There must still be a bunch out on Mt. Diablo. Not meaning ot HiJack the thread, but they have an interesting life cycle. Females seldom venture far from their nests, and come out only to mate. They can live up to 20 years. Males live only about 7 Years. They become mature at 7and leave their nest looking for females to mate with, never to return. They mate with as many females as they can and either starve to death, are picked off by Tarantula wasps, large birds,
eaten by the females, flattened under tires or hikers boots. Sort of an inglorious ending.

Last post on Tarantulas.

If it is all about ball bearsing you'll need to be sure and take some antifreeze. 10 quarts - Quacker State.

My dad live in Walnut Creek - we used to go to Mt. Diablo all the time. But have never camped there. Hmm... Maybe I should do that some time.

Great! thanks for all your answers! The 6 year old is in charge of everything, but the computer. The four year old is in charge of that. I am in charge of... what was I doing here.... I smell smoke... MAE!!!

Thanks

Roger DSCF0012.JPG MAE!

Picked up the Ranger, took off the jacks, loading her up... Kids are all over the camper, helping me fill the water tank, tasting the water, packing the "pillow pets"...

the fridge has been tested on gas, 120 and even 12 volt. all work. heater, check. gimble lock. Houston we are ready for launch.

Attachments

• camper 009.jpg
    camper 009.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 121
The trip was a success!
It was windy and cold at night, but we all had a great time!

Next trip will be Yosemite November 22 to 24.

Attachments

• mae hunter mt diablo.jpg
    mae hunter mt diablo.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 144
  • mt diablo camping nov 2010 036.jpg
    mt diablo camping nov 2010 036.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 139

Back
Top Bottom