Shell vs Loaded?

Best way is to figure payload is to run across a scale with a full tank of fuel, whatever junk you keep behind/under the seat, people/dogs and then do the math. It's likely the payload number on the door sticker will be different than what the math says. That's been my experience.

I weighed my Tundra with my Hawk, I have the hawk base model and I added a couple things. My truck weighs 6480 total with all my stuff in it and a full gas tank. Now I know that the pay load for my truck is 1421 and my truck empty was 5200. So my max weight should be 6621. But the weights were with a standard suspension. I added the firestone air bags. That and the 10 ply tires should up the max rating in my mind. I asked the local Toyota repair manager. I gave him my specs and he said I was fine. My truck handles great, breaks great, and acceleration is very good. But I have never driven it empty. Before the camper I had a shell and the shell and gear weighed 700 pounds. So I didn't add that much when I went to the FWC. Ron

I just sold my Grandby because it was too much weight too far back for my Ram 1500. It was okay when it was just me, but with the wife, dog, toys, etc. it did very poorly on the back roads. I plan to replace it with a Hawk, but I have to ponder the same questions. I like the shell, but with a sink, and a refer, and windows, and solar, and... It's a slippery slope.

Riverrunner said:
Best way is to figure payload is to run across a scale with a full tank of fuel, whatever junk you keep behind/under the seat, people/dogs and then do the math. It's likely the payload number on the door sticker will be different than what the math says. That's been my experience.
Agreed.
The scales don't lie. That is how I found out my 740 lb Hawk, with options, weighed 1340 lbs.

Not sure about other states but here in OR you can use the DOT scales when they are closed. just drive on and the reader board will give the weight. Some farm stores may have a scale too.

You can also go to a materials yards. They have a scale for material sold by the ton. They will usually let you on the scale for free.

You did not mention money which for most is the deciding difference between loaded and shell. If you can swing it I would go loaded (but noting all the weight saving suggestions above). We have a 2011 Taco and have never found it wanting as far as handling the load. Be sure to get 10 ply tires and do something about the suspension (lots of suggestions on that in other threads.)

We (family of 4) have spent a fair bit of time in the Grandby over past several years, including a 6-week long roadtrip from AK to America and back. ;) As far as "camping" goes, the things we use the most are: water for cooking & showers, kitchen sink for cooking & cleaning, hot water heater for showers and dishes, furnace, refrigerator. :oops:

Assuming you will have similar needs with the trips you have planned, and if you like projects and want to spend time planning, ordering, building, etc. and think you can do better than the folks at FWC who have years of experience and continual improvements, knock yourselves out with a shell. If you want to focus your time on using the rig and enjoying the outdoors, then buy it with what you need.

Then get a truck. It's kinda like getting the cart before the horse, right?

Personally, the camper is a light load for my 3/4 ton truck which I use for all sorts of hauling and towing. Oh, and on that 6wk trip - we averaged 17.5mpg. I've never owned a toyota, but can't imagine they would do better than that with a heavy camper on the back.
Have fun!

Bwht4x4 said:
Other than the landfill where can we weigh our rigs quickly and easily? Truck stops?
Google "Cat Scales" for their locations, $10.00 w/free re-weight within 30 days. I like stopping at the Mojave location on my way to the Sierras or DV to check on my packing efficiency. You would think that I would weigh the same each time. Must be the beverage choice of the trips - going with family or the guys.
Cheers

Captm said:
Google "Cat Scales" for their locations, $10.00 w/free re-weight within 30 days.
This is what I have done. Pretty user friendly places. You pull on the scale and punch the red button. They are usually weighing commercial trucks so they will ask for your truck number or company name through the squawk box. You have to explain you are a private party. You get the weight on each axle and a total weight, guaranteed accurate. It is good information to have.

Thanks for the great replies.

After careful consideration, we're leaning towards keeping our beloved Tacoma and going the shell route for simplicity and lighter weight. We are minimalists, and changing gears such as getting a 3/4 truck and upgrading for luxury is not a direction we want to go in. Here's the package we're looking at now:

1. Fleet Pop-Up Camper (Shell Model)
  2. Propane Gas cabinet w/two 10lb cans
  3. Roll over couch
  4. 12V Accessory outlets
  5. Privacy curtains
  6. Small Opening Driver's side window
  7. Mechanical Camper Jacks w/brackets
  8. Fantastic Power Roof Vent (installed above bed)
  9. Screen Door
  10. Front Opening window
  11. Extended 10' Yakima "Tracks Only" on roof
  12. Rear Wall Steps
  13. Solar "Plug Only" on rear wall
  14. Auxiliary Battery System
  15. Gas Strut Roof Assists 80 lbs
  16. Engel Refrigerator MT-35
  17. Extra roof vent rear hole

Looks like a good starting point. You have the hard for user to add items covered. You will find using your camper, if there is any thing you want to add later. Try to make the FWC rally next spring, everyone's camper is different.

Welcome to WTW and enjoy your camper.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom