Shocks for 2017 ?

Rockcod

I am planning on installing Bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4 corners of my 2014 F150 4wd.These provide up to 2 inches of lift, Im not interested in more than 1 inch if any at all .Is it possible to explain, in layman terms , how a front coil over shock can handle either an unloaded truck or one loaded up to near max payload ,say plus 1000 lbs,and preform well in both cases ? Or can it. I've searched here and read all I can find, and still there seems to be an inconclusive answer. perhaps I just missed it. Also, some coilovers have approx 700 lb coils and ford uses 500 lb coils. As I have read. Why the difference. ? And then theres washboard roads most all here love. Thanks for any insight.

Rock

In a nut shell..."spring rate".

A friend tried the B8 5100s for use with his camper installed, however, he removed them after about 3 months. Yes, they have adjustable ride height and are suppose to "auto adjust rebound and compression" based on load. But the B8 5100s did not provide a compliant ride on and off tarmac.

Best to consider a shock designed for a standard height or lifted truck.

Much, much better ways to level or lift your truck rather than using an adjustable ride height shock.

As far as laden v unladen characteristics, probably best to match your upgraded suspension for the loadout you are going to have the majority of the time; or the condition most important to you. It is very tough to tune after-market suspension components to laden and unladen conditions and have that sweet, compliant ride in both conditions. Best to pick one and tune to that condition. Especially when we're talking about campers and off-tarmac, sometimes rough tracks. trails and FS roads.

I really don't have a brand in mind, and don't care so much about a level,I just would like to replace the OEM ford ranchos that come with the FX4 . I prefer to do it as close to right the first time around. I can't seem to find an answer by reading forums. I do plan to install a Deaver set of leafs in the back, they will build them to level the rear loaded. They said use a good gas shock like a Bilstein ,but also said they don't do any shock installs. I would agree it's a compromise. If the ATC is not going to be on, I would be okay tossing a 500 lb load in the back to mellow out the ride. I don't plan on jumping moguls at 50 mph, but anyone could miss an occasional bump or hole , be nice to survive that. Any ideas on which manufacture to look at ? The price point for Bilstein seems low and Fox/Icon/king etc all are a fair bit more. But once and done is the solution I'd like to achieve..

Thanks.

The Ford OEM Rancho shocks that came with my 2003 F250 SD FX4 were sad shocks indeed. I replaced them with Bilstein 5100s for a 2-4" lifted truck. I liked these shocks a lot, unladen. But, they weren't suitable with the camper in the bed. So, I eventually installed the Rancho 9000XL adjustable shock. What a difference! I now had the ability to adjust the shock for laden and unladen adventures.

I installed the Rancho 9000XL before I had 500 miles on my new 2016 F-350SD. I purchase my shocks from Summitracing.com. Free shipping on these heavy items is a godsend!

I really like ICON and FOX shocks/products. But, I simply cannot justify the premium prices for these "racing"/high performance shocks/components for my truck/camper.

Appreciate the input. My 2014 steel body F150 shares the same shock mounts as the 2015/2016 aluminum body fords. That said it looks like Rancho 9000xl are rear only for my application. I simply have no time next two days to look deeper into it, so Friday I will call them.
I would hate to bite the bullet for the 2.0. (2.5 ?) foxes,but I would if it concludes the search. esp since they say you cannot adjust them without a spring compressor. Ok they said maybe if they were new and clean you can. They come set up at 2 in level and I would need to drop them AT least 1 inch. I am pretty sure even the Bilsteins are better than OEM ranchos.
Oh and the Foxes are back ordered until late January. That still could work as my atc won't be built until later in March. I think.
Thank you for the help. !!

Rock.

I replaced OEM rear shocks on my Tundra with Bilstien 4600s, Big difference when loaded, dampening was much better. Still have them on even though the camper is on another truck now and they still provide a good ride, very firm but not harsh.

Indeed the 9000XL is only manufactured for the rear of your F150. Strange; haven't seen that before simply a rear only application by Rancho.

I'm still not tracking on you ride height needs.

Is your truck lifted (lift kit installed)? If not, you do not need a "ride height adjustment" shock. If your truck is lifted, simply purchase Bilstein 5100 standard shocks designed with the lift parameters for your lift kit.

Shocks, do not add "lift" to a F150 (or any truck for that matter), coil and leaf springs provide the lift and are designed and manufactured to provide a predetermined amount of lift.

The Bilstein 5100 with ride height adjustment is simply a shock that allows the owner to fine tune and level the front of the truck with the rear, not add lift as with a lift kit.

When you look at the Fox Shox spec for their 2.0....
Screenshot_2016_12_21_16_43_05.png

...and you see the spec: Lift: 0 - 1"...
does not mean the shock is going to lift the truck up to 1". But, rather, this shock is suitable for applications with OEM suspension components (0" lift) and/or any after market components that have been installed that lift the truck up to 1" over factory height.

For discussion sake, lets say a truck has a 2" lift kit installed, this shock will not work in that application due to insufficient travel and OAL too short. One can still install this shock on a 2" lifted truck. However in very short order, the internals will be destroyed and the shock blown out due to insufficient travel...a very costly mistake with Fox components.

If I'm missing the intent of your questions, I apologize.

I've lifted a lot of trucks since my first Toy back in 1975.

I sold my 2003 F-250SD this past summer. I installed a 2.5" Old Man Emu lift kit and Ranch 9000XL on all 4 corners.

IMG_1662.jpg

Before I installed the Rancho shocks, I installed Bilstein 5100s designed for 2 - 2.75" of lift. The Rancho 9000XL performed much better than the Bilstein's with this application due to the compression and rebound adjustment feature.

Truth is I didn't even titled this thread correctly. so expressing my wants and situation is a problem with me. :)

My truck is stock, and for the most part I like that. It has a 7 year 100 k OEM warranty, online purchase. 1500 $ cost. Don't need to argue with ford about anything, though I'm not afraid of them. What I think I want is as follows . Bridgestone KO 2's , 1 inch taller, a set of reasonably priced gas shocks, like around 1000 $ including alignment ,. My Ford dealer will install shocks with an alignement for 300 $ . If they put them on, I would think they wouldn't blame them for a non related issue and for crying out loud have done it before. Air lift Ultimate 5000 air bags, I chose these because of the internal jounce stop, they claim they run w/o air safely and have a limited but lifetime warranty. They would only run w/o air if I had a mechanical failure . Slap on the new rig and hit the road to sort out any others suspension needs. I would have a rear spring set installed if it seemed necessary. No problem here at all as I do think I will need it.

Possible Options.
Max 1 level inch in front and use the air bags to level rear. I think it would look good , but the benefits might not be there ,everyone could use an inch up front off-road. (body only)

Heavier coils in front, thus a step up to Fox 2.0's or even 2.5. Man that's a lot of coin, my plans have changed , had I known I would have bought a heavier payload truck. I won't be over, but an extra 12 pack could put me there. If it's my best choice for longevity, so be it.

So, Bilstens 5100 s , run em until I learn their wrong, or go bigger with the Fox's out of the gate. ?? Do I need the heavier coils they provide.The camper will no doubt be on 75 % of the time if not full time. I will hate to lose my daily around town support truck. But I can't wait to use the new out of town ,secondary road cruiser I can eat,drink and sleep in.

Thank you and all others for the help.

Beach said:
I replaced OEM rear shocks on my Tundra with Bilstien 4600s, Big difference when loaded, dampening was much better. Still have them on even though the camper is on another truck now and they still provide a good ride, very firm but not harsh.
Beach , thanks for the feedback, that is the story I'm looking to tell when in time the questions come my way, sort of like, I did ------ and it works really well. the older I get the less picky I become, but I still care ! That's awesome on its own for sure.

Advmoto,
Thanks for the Bilstein link on, leveling. Helped out for sure. I keep thinking I want heavier coils in front, don't know why. Maybe an accumulation of reading to much internet. I talked to the company that makes the springs for the rear a couple weeks back,( Deaver in So Cal) they said I would get around 2 inches of rake w/o a load, Im guessing the 1 inch level on a 5100 Bilstein front would have zero effect on the rear correct ?

A side note to all this is Bilstein took over two years to make a front 5100 for the 2014 F150 4wd. They hit the streets in the last 2 weeks or so. I have found only 2 suppliers ready to ship online and one that will pre order.

Rockcod, based on your comments in post #8...I think you'd be very happy with standard Bilstein 5100s and an airbag setup in the rear. I think you will find a very nice, compliant ride.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of FOX components. FOX are top shelf products and they charge a premium. But, for the type of traveling and camping you want to do, the Bilstein 5100 standard shock with an air bag system fits the bill IMO. I doubt you would be looking for replacement components.

On a side note...you typically do not need an alignment after installing new shocks, especially not necessary on any Ford F series truck. $300 sounds bit high IMO, most of that charge is for the alignment based on the "book rate" for replacing 4 shocks.

If you are moderately mechanically inclined, yo can can probably swap out the 4 shocks in less than 2 hours. Rear shocks are very easy; front are easy but just require a bit more time due to front wheel being in the way if you don't remove it. I can do all 4 in less than 30 minutes, but, I've replaced countless shocks and use air driven tools. If you don't have the tools, you can pick up a ratchet and required sockets at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for less than $40. Many Youtube videos to help you out.

Thank you once again, your input has been helpful and I've learned along the way. If they go bad or are not up to the task I'll move up. Or trade up to 3/4 ton. Silly to overthink, but I'll know soon . I have tools, and been wrenching on my Moto's for a long time. Fords EPAS, or electronic power assist steering has been know to have issues. If Ford installs the Bilsteins, they would need to play pretty tough to point to that as an associated problem. Even though it isn't related. Or the IWE's which I think are part of the air lock front hubs? I use a smaller dealer an hour or so out of this big ass city. Farmland. Plus working on the thing on floor jacks has started to suck and it doesn't fit in my 1940's tiny garage. I replaced the front hubs and rotors on the last F150 ,2wd, they were one piece switched them to separate rotors , hubs. easy but to close to earth. No problems to do airbags with a compressor,a sway bar perhaps etc. I'm ready to start figuring out the camper build. :) now that will be fun. I certainly found the best forum for that, there are a whole bunch of straight shooters with loads of outback boondocking experience here. And wow on the photography. I definitely dream in color now.! Thank you ..... !

I hear you about work space!

My garage is full of motorcycles and STUFF. I work out in the driveway. Stacking a couple of WalMart yoga mats helps the old bones and knees.

I've never lusted for a lift simply because I never had a place to put it. So 2 floor jacks and stands are all I've ever had.

When a professional tells me how much a job is going to be, I research it and see if I can do it. If I have to purchase tools, how much will I save over the pros fees? Then I decide if I want to tackle the job. Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately, I usually tackle the job.

Speaking of tools. I buy quality tools for my shop; Snap-On or Craftsman. My motorcycle traveling tools are mostly Wiha. I've been pretty much let down by and disappointed with NT and HF tools as a long term investment. If I purchase such a tool, I pretty much consider it a use once and throw away tool. Not bashing NT or HF, they are there for folks who need them. My tools are an investment and I'm looking for a long term ROI.

But air driven tools...they are a gift from heaven!

Advmoto18 said:
I hear you about work space!

My garage is full of motorcycles and STUFF. I work out in the driveway. Stacking a couple of WalMart yoga mats helps the old bones and knees.

I've never lusted for a lift simply because I never had a place to put it. So 2 floor jacks and stands are all I've ever had.

When a professional tells me how much a job is going to be, I research it and see if I can do it. If I have to purchase tools, how much will I save over the pros fees? Then I decide if I want to tackle the job. Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately, I usually tackle the job.

Speaking of tools. I buy quality tools for my shop; Snap-On or Craftsman. My motorcycle traveling tools are mostly Wiha. I've been pretty much let down by and disappointed with NT and HF tools as a long term investment. If I purchase such a tool, I pretty much consider it a use once and throw away tool. Not bashing NT or HF, they are there for folks who need them. My tools are an investment and I'm looking for a long term ROI.

But air driven tools...they are a gift from heaven!
The yoga mat is an excellent idea. i appreciate good tools, been a Wiha fan for years . Jos. M Klein/ Fluke for professional use, though both have outsourced and given up there quality years ago. i also toss in a pair of Knipex lockable channels on the bike kit. grab anything they can fit in there mouth.

I made a quick call to Bilstein this am, they have 3 different part numbers for the last 3 model years, 4wd F150, 5100 series. 2013 ym / 2014ym / 2015/16 ym . i need something so Bilstein .... the Rancho 9000xl sound very good,called and they were out of the office.. I still want to talk to them for future, seems unlikely, Bilstein did say said there were enough 2014's made to warrant this shock. He said valving changes, of course new weight aluminum, but ? The changes between 14 and 15/16 are probably not the mounting specs. he did indicate they might fit but wouldn't be right.
have a Merry Christmas !!!

http://iconvehicledynamics.com/shop/f150-coilovers-shocks/832-f150-remote-reservoir-coil-over-shock-cdcv.html

This is what I would install if the sky opened up and dropped them on my lawn.

I think I have rode this horse long enough. As of now no one makes an adjustable set under a grand, and there may never be one.
So it's the Bilsteins/AirLift combo and enough room for a spring set as needed. I think that will work (for now) better than a set of awesome adjustables for 3k. I have spent near that for an Ohlins Moto set. So it's notn that bad actually. I think suspension is one of the best improvements ever.

Thanks for the support and input. :)

Rock.

Back
Top Bottom