Should I be concerned?

telebrewer

Advanced Member
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webUpload?uname=114630261875012854928&aid=5594569288624991473

I found this crack yesterday after coming back from Baja. Very rough roads. What do you think is going on?

I can't see a picture of the cracks you speak of from the link. If you are referring to cracks above or around the door frame.....then YES....you should be concerned. It means the frame has cracked under the skin and it needs to be addressed.

Attached is a picture of a crack that formed above the door of my Hawk after a particularly nasty bit of four wheeling in Colorado and Arizona.

cracks.JPG

The FWC factory repaired the issue free of charge under warranty.

I can't see a picture of the cracks you speak of from the link. If you are referring to cracks above or around the door frame.....then YES....you should be concerned. It means the frame has cracked under the skin and it needs to be addressed.

Attached is a picture of a crack that formed above the door of my Hawk after a particularly nasty bit of four wheeling in Colorado and Arizona.

View attachment 11684

The FWC factory repaired the issue free of charge under warranty.

I'll work on getting the link to work tomorrow. It is similar to yours only it's in front on the right above the front window. Anyone else have their frame crack or develope cracks in the siding?

Thanks.

I had cracks over the corner of the door and propane compartment repaired a couple of years ago. FWC found cracks in the rear frame and repaired it under warranty. The crack over the door has returned so I'll be making a trip to Woodland this summer before the warranty expires.

Here are the pictures. My Grandby is a '94. Does anyone have an idea of what it may cost me out of pocket?

https://picasaweb.google.com/114630261875012854928/Apr112011#5594571278547075602

Here are the pictures. My Grandby is a '94. Does anyone have an idea of what it may cost me out of pocket?

https://picasaweb.google.com/114630261875012854928/Apr112011#5594571278547075602

Probably have to call ATC or FWC to inquire. If its too spendy you could consider pulling off the interior panel and use rivets/brackets to sure up the broken weld. Then patch that crack with some 5200.

You thinking for the crack, broken weld, or both?

The broken weld UNDER the skin. It would look pretty ghetto on the skin crack.

I had a FWC some years back with several cracks that I assume came from broken welds inside. I do a lot of washboard roads. A big advantage of a van based camper such as Sports Mobile is that they stay in one piece. The only camper shells that I have seen hold up for years or off-road abuse are the Caravan Toppers brand: http://www.caravancamper.com/

I have seen a few Caravan Toppers made into very nice campers with the addition of some options and custom work. If my ATC were to shake to pieces, I would base my next camper on a Caravan Topper.

The broken weld UNDER the skin. It would look pretty ghetto on the skin crack.

Dunno, with aluminum you need to remove the oxide first to do any adhesive work which could be a chore and then I don't know how well it'd work in terms of fatigue over time. I'd be more inclined to rivet on some bracing pieces and be done with it.

It's the individuals call for sure. I've got a buddy with an old Keystone and he did some MAJOR frame weld repairs with JB Weld and it's still chugging along 8-10 years later, this rig goes to Baja regularly. No guarantees obviously. If you've got the tools and know how riveting would prolly be the way.

Dunno, with aluminum you need to remove the oxide first to do any adhesive work which could be a chore and then I don't know how well it'd work in terms of fatigue over time. I'd be more inclined to rivet on some bracing pieces and be done with it.

Like pods recommends, riveting is the way to repair these frames if you dont have a welder. I did some work on my frame when I removed the tail lights this winter. I just used a simple riveter and so far, no problems. I made the supporting brackets out of scrap alumium that I had.

Everything I've ever JB welded has come apart eventually. I can't imagine using it to fix frame pieces. Especially for roads like that in Baja. So I guess I'll tear out the panel and have a look. Hopefully I can rivet it with brackets. Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom