Showers/facilities

BWSracing

Advanced Member
What are you all doing about showers and facilities for a camper that don't have them while away from normal amenities? Looking at a camper that doesn't have these and don't think they can be retrofitted easily.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Heat water on the stove, put it in a plastic tube and take a sponge bath. Water heaters (in my opinion) take up too much room for other gear... (like cameras and lenses).

The wife is asking for a little more for the amount of time we plan on spending on the road.

So baby wipes are probably out?

Plan B for me is a solar bug sprayer type shower with a pop up shower tent.
Less than a hundred for the pair.

YFItAgw.jpg

BkS11B5.jpg

We use wet ones or similar wipes, and often used a solar shower bag for a quick wash when needed. Even if the sun isn't out you can fill it 3/4 with cold water and add some boiling water. Cheap and easy.

I used a Zodi hot tap shower when I owned my first FWC . It ws terrific, except for when it was to windy or too cold to set up the enclosure, or to get nekkid outdoors. Then I wished I had an inside shower.

Depending on when and when you camp, one of the portable showers (several types have already been mentioned here) could very well be all you need.

This is done outside the camper.

In regard to showers, a gallon jug of water is heated to a pleasant temperature and poured back into the bottle. We pour water over each other. The Lady gets half the water, I get the other half. We use a small rectangle of astro turf for a mat to stand on. If we are entertaining distant neighbors, we hope they are enjoying the show.

Human waste is handled with WAG bags or Restop and everything carried back out.

For showers I use a solar shower, sometimes creatively setup
img_130421_0_58a86f02aefe577f8b716ec5be665b98.jpg

Also, many state parks have coin op showers so you can hit those every few days if need be.

For facilities I always have WAG bags with me and if the trip calls for it I'll bring along a Luggable Loo.

Thanks for all of the information. It is camping after all, time to simplify things.

Helio Pressurized Shower. Here's a newer shower system we got that works really well. A little pricey ($75 - we paid $99 when it first came out a few months ago). It collapses down to 5.5" high with 8.5" diameter. Fully extended 17" high holding 2.9 gal. An attached foot pump pressurizes it (easy). 7' hose with a spray nozzle. It sits on the ground. We heat water on the stove & mix with cold water. Plenty of water for 2 showers. A side benefit is that it keeps pressure & we use the extra water as a faucet to rinse things. I was going make my own shower out of a garden sprayer (bulky!) before I discovered this. Because space is at a premium, the cost of this is well worth the compactness.
http://www.amazon.com/Nemo-NEMO-Equipment-Inc-Pressure/dp/B00ARHKLWS

We use a biffy tent or hang a shower curtain between the clamshell doors on our F150 ... or hide behind a tree ;-)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBXJ7Q?psc=1&redirect=true&r882468.jpgef_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Attachments

• HelioShower.jpg
    HelioShower.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 106
Wandering Sagebrush said:
We love our Zodi. I use the metal support ring that comes with it to heat the tank on our stove in the camper. Color-coded heat sensitive tape tells me when I'm pushing 110F. :eek: I adapted a dishwasher spray hose which gives us on/off control. We use a popup tent if it's windy or we need privacy. [pro tip: anchor the popup tent to your corner jack mount in windy conditions] We use an astroturf doormat to stand on, and toiletries and towels go over a chair.

We've also been known to bring our Zodi into the hot spring with us, when he is known as Bob.
Best shower is an outdoor shower! :D

Cayuse said:
For showers I use a solar shower, sometimes creatively setup
img_130729_4_58a86f02aefe577f8b716ec5be665b98.jpg

Also, many state parks have coin op showers so you can hit those every few days if need be.

For facilities I always have WAG bags with me and if the trip calls for it I'll bring along a Luggable Loo.
You never know when off width gear will come in handy!

My Alaskan has a sort of tube tent that hooks to the ceiling and drains into a big oil pan. The nozzle hooks to the kitchen faucet and I have an installed water heater. After a nice navy shower I skid the pan to the door and drain into a bucket. It is a bit primitive but it does work, and as a woman alone I feel better showering inside than out using the outside shower.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

I use a Helton hot water exchanger for my shower. I plumbed it inline with my truck cab heater so i use my heater dial to set the water temp. The cold water in & hot out are plumped and mounted to my front bumper. I have a little mesh bag that holds the shower head, pump, and a collapsible bucket. One bonus to this method is it's separate from the camper so on backpacking trips without the camper i can still have a shower when we make it back to the truck. The downside is the truck needs to be running and warmed up.

I got most of my parts from Cruiser Outfitters
http://cruiseroutfitters.com/helton.html

I stole this pic from the internet but this is my exact setup:
post-5640-0-62564000-1457366217_thumb.jpg

Here's my truck and shower head:
post-5640-0-98217800-1457366369_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• crout_taco_2_8.jpg
    crout_taco_2_8.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG