Shrinking the propane storage compartment

snipepod

Just picked up a Four-Wheel-Camper from that will fit my 1976 K5 Blazer. This is a total restoration project, something that I am well suited to. Helps to own your own CNC machine shop, and TIG welder. Anyways, am planing to build a basic shell with a small European HOB (sink/2 burner) in the driver side rear corner. Currently the 4WC has the propane compartment located there, with access door to the outside. Takes up way to much room. Have been looking at switching to two smaller tanks, like the Worthingtons, but they still take up considerable space.

Has anyone though of using the 1lb disposable tanks and designing a manifold that links several of the tanks together for capacity? I have been refilling these 1lb tanks for years from my 20lb BBQ tank with excellent results. For example, I envision a manifold that combines 5 of these small tanks into two rows, one row with 3 tanks, the other with two, where the two rows of tanks are almost tangentially touching each other. This would give me a very compact compartment.

The manifold would have individual tank valves so that I could swap tanks without interruption.

Is there something about the 1lb throw away tanks that I am overlooking that would prevent such a solution?

Most RVs access the propane compartment from outside, what are the reasons for this arrangement? Safety? convenience?

Attachments

• Propane.jpg
    Propane.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 108
Outside access might be a DOT requirement as well as venting to the outside. The DOT approved tanks are built to make it very difficult to break the valve off in an accident. Why not use one tall skinny 10 lb tank. Bet it takes up about as much room as 5 1 lb tanks connected to a manifold. The connection would be simpler and the capacity more.

Would like at least two tanks, for hot swapping. Little tanks are always around, use them for my Coleman lantern, outside stove, etc. The DOT issue is important. Are the tall skinny 10lb tanks like the Worthingtons seen around?

snipepod said:
Would like at least two tanks, for hot swapping. Little tanks are always around, use them for my Coleman lantern, outside stove, etc. The DOT issue is important. Are the tall skinny 10lb tanks like the Worthingtons seen around?
Mine are the size of the Manchester tanks.

http://www.propanetankstore.com/10-lb-2-5-gallon-manchester-propane-tank/

Worthinton also makes a tall skinny 6 lb tank but it's pricey.

http://www.amazon.com/Worthington-299494-Aluminum-Cylinder-Prevention/dp/B004FPZABK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1456784967&sr=8-11&keywords=10+lb+propane+tank

LookyLou, You are making more and more sense! . Those Manchester tanks appear skinner than the Worthingtons. Will bookmark those links. Thanks

There is no rule that says that the propane tank(s) have to reside in the camper. Could possibly stash them under the vehicle. Using a forklift tank for horizontal mounting might be an economical alternative to RV tanks. I carried a skid-plated floor jack under the body on an outboard mount of the frame on both my '79 and '91 Suburbans.

snipepod said:
Just picked up a Four-Wheel-Camper from that will fit my 1976 K5 Blazer. This is a total restoration project, something that I am well suited to. Helps to own your own CNC machine shop, and TIG welder. Anyways, am planing to build a basic shell with a small European HOB (sink/2 burner) in the driver side rear corner. Currently the 4WC has the propane compartment located there, with access door to the outside. Takes up way to much room. Have been looking at switching to two smaller tanks, like the Worthingtons, but they still take up considerable space.

Has anyone though of using the 1lb disposable tanks and designing a manifold that links several of the tanks together for capacity? I have been refilling these 1lb tanks for years from my 20lb BBQ tank with excellent results. For example, I envision a manifold that combines 5 of these small tanks into two rows, one row with 3 tanks, the other with two, where the two rows of tanks are almost tangentially touching each other. This would give me a very compact compartment.

The manifold would have individual tank valves so that I could swap tanks without interruption.

Is there something about the 1lb throw away tanks that I am overlooking that would prevent such a solution?

Most RVs access the propane compartment from outside, what are the reasons for this arrangement? Safety? convenience?
Maybe try what you're thinking and let us know how it works out, ie: build a better mouse trap.

Propane tanks are always mounted in sealed to the inside, vented to the outside cabinets as a safety precaution. In the event of a propane leak you don't want fumes building up inside the camper.

A 2 tank system with a 10 lb tall, skinny tank and a 1 lb back up tank seems like the idea space saving set up.

Back
Top Bottom