Skamper 065S + 2006 Tacoma

MontanaRC

Hello Wander The West crew! I'm a long time reader with the hopes of picking up a slide-in camper for my 2006 Tacoma sooner or later... just researching and waiting for the right opportunity to pop up.

A buddy of mine is selling his Skamper 065S that has happily occupied the bed of his 2003 Tundra for a few years and I was wondering if it could be a feasible option for my 2006 Tacoma.

My Taco is a V6 Access Cab with a 6' bed, 4x4 TRD Offroad and towing packages with Timbrens and load range E tires currently installed for occasional horse trailer towing duties.

I've thoroughly perused the forums and see 06S models fitting Tacos, and 072S models being a little large but doable... but can't dig up much on the 065S?

He mentioned the weight stamped on the original manufacturing plate is 960# but that he estimates it currently at 800# after some gutting of non-essentials.

Asking $3500 with no leaks, forced air propane furnace, battery bank, roof fan, and updated bed mounting points...

Seems like a solid price, but what should I look for to make sure it's all up to snuff? I'm loosely aware of the corner lift bracing on the roof (torsion destroying roof)... anything else?

Welcome to the site montanataco.
With the pop up camper market going crazy with pricing,
this might be a good one to check out.

Don't know much about Scampers I think they are built
with a wood framing much like the ATC/FWC campers.
There might be some "historic" connection.

On our travels I have seen these campers but that's all I know.

If it's close would be good to check it out. It might be a good "sleeper" camper.
Good luck.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Don't know much about Scampers I think they are built
with a wood framing much like the ATC/FWC campers.
There might be some "historic" connection.
Wood? Frank... you know better than that! Aluminum in ATC/FWC for sure.

I know Vic.But I think the frame is made the same way but with wood.
Saw one with the siding off at FWC when I visited back in 09 to see their
campers.They had one in the shop that they were working on.
It looked like a "2X4" framed house.

Aluminum only way to go!!!
Frank

Do I get points taken off?

Hello Wander The West crew! I'm a long time reader with the hopes of picking up a slide-in camper for my 2006 Tacoma sooner or later... just researching and waiting for the right opportunity to pop up.

A buddy of mine is selling his Skamper 065S that has happily occupied the bed of his 2003 Tundra for a few years and I was wondering if it could be a feasible option for my 2006 Tacoma.

My Taco is a V6 Access Cab with a 6' bed, 4x4 TRD Offroad and towing packages with Timbrens and load range E tires currently installed for occasional horse trailer towing duties.

I've thoroughly perused the forums and see 06S models fitting Tacos, and 072S models being a little large but doable... but can't dig up much on the 065S?

He mentioned the weight stamped on the original manufacturing plate is 960# but that he estimates it currently at 800# after some gutting of non-essentials.

Asking $3500 with no leaks, forced air propane furnace, battery bank, roof fan, and updated bed mounting points...

Seems like a solid price, but what should I look for to make sure it's all up to snuff? I'm loosely aware of the corner lift bracing on the roof (torsion destroying roof)... anything else?
Did you get it to fit?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom