slide out bed help.. supports and screw length?

BBZ

Hey All.

I am going to be finishing up the interior this weekend on my old Granby..

I have made the slide out bed already but curious about the best way to install the supports into the walls. What length screw is suggested? Clearly I want to make sure this does not fall down.. I would have a mad wife.

Best to have the wife sleep on the inside then...

Took a look at our '97 and the wall fasteners are hidden. The slide out supports sure look like solid stock (2x3/4") so maybe they are attached from the outside before the siding went on. There's prob a bare frame pic floating around somewhere showing the material you'd be securing to if that helps.

btw I know you've made the parts but fwiw our slide out platform is 32"x interior width x 1/2", with a 3x3/4" front piece attached (with the 3" on a vertical plane). Both the platform and the front piece ride on the wall side supports. When pulled out for use maybe 2" of the platform rests on the over cab base. All these years I'm still impressed it all holds up.

If you want I can take pics tomorrow or look for the frame pic.

Here is is the Aluminium horizontal frame section (below the wood in the "C" channel) that you are screwing into. If the interior wall panel is screwed at the top, and you don't have the arctic pack Velcro covering the screws you can undo the screws and see this area by peeking in from the top.

The aluminium frame is right behind the thin interior wall material.

Add, the thickness of the slider support, add about another 3/4" and don't be much longer than that, as you don't want the screws going too far and going out the outside of the camper skin.

gallery_2702_1168_104232.jpg

The distance between screws was originally about 10", I made mine about every 5".

gallery_2702_1168_50935.jpg

gallery_2702_1168_106920.jpg

Some more photos if they will help.

gallery_2702_1168_37223.jpg

As Klahanie mentions make sure the pull out part (front piece) is rabbited or dado'ed into the flat pull out bed plywood.
A huge amount of strength comes from doing that.

gallery_2702_1168_45017.jpg

I have a 79 Grandby, and my aluminum frame isn't like Alley Kat's. I have a window on the front drivers side. On the passenger side I made my support board longer than the drivers side to pick up an aluminum stud. I didn't have any good hardwood on hand to make the supports, so I laminated 2 pieces of 5/8 plywood together. I'll get some measurements later today for the screw holes, but there's no guarantee that my camper framing is the same as yours. I also dato'ed a piece of oak on the front of the slide out bed plywood.

Back
Top Bottom