Sliding Front Window and Boot

Outnabout

Ordering the new Grandby and wonder about experiences/recommendations with a sliding front window and boot option.

Thanks for all the help thus far! Order is almost complete.

I was going to get the boot when I got my raven and was told the problem is since the truck bed moves separate from the cab, the boot wears the paint on the cab. I did go for the pop out window though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Wander The West mobile app

I got the pop out window and, I am thinking, I got the boot at a later time. I have an old truck so the scratches don't bother me. They will when I get a new truck someday. I have crawled through the window a couple of times because I had just jumped in bed and realized that I left something in the cab. That gets harder to do for me with each passing year.

Although I seldom do it these days, I use to keep the remote for my fan (upgrade) in the cab. When parked in the sun, I could crack windows in the cab and pull air through the cab and through the camper to cool the cab. On rainy days, I will crank up the heater in the truck to force some heat into the camper, thinking this might help lower any moisture back there.

Steve

I had the slider and the boot installed on my first FWC. With a regular cab I thought I might reach stuff in the camper from the truck or vice versa. I don't think I ever really did that, though.

I have the same in my current camper, but didn't install the boot. I really like having the slider in the camper for ventilation. I have a screen I stick there after I open the window. Especially good during rainstorms.

I guess having the ability in the future to have a pet be able to move between truck and camper might be an advantage.

Stalking Light said:
Where did you get the screen for the sliding front window? I've seen screens for pickup windows but don't think they'd fit the FWC window.
I bought a screen at the hardware store that was made for double hung windows that has adjustable width, that happened to be about the right 14" height. It was fast and cheap.

Screens are easy to make from kits and I will make one up the exact shape I want when I get one of those 'round tuit' things.

One could always use screen material (like one would buy to repair or re-screen house sceens) and velcro it over the frame to seal out the bugs. Every time I replace the screen material at home I use 'pet screen' material, it seems to be undamaged by climbing squirrels, the cats that follow them, and things that go bump in the night. I will use some of that when I make my custom-fit screen. It will probably outlast the rest of the camper ;-)

Thanks. I can certainly make a screen, I just thought maybe there was a pre built one. I like the pet screen as well, we used that when we re-screened out screen porch. I'm familiar with the round to-its too :)

There was a post during the past month about a number of FWC owners that have leaking front windows on the new models. There was a part sent out by FWC to cover the weeps I believe. haven't heard anything as to whether that solved the problem.

I've driven through rain with mine and not had any problems so far. I wasn't sure from the posts whether it was the sliding front window or the driver's side window in some of the larger models that had the problem.

We have an ATC Ocelot and have the sliding window, with screen and no boot. I used a boot long ago with a topper and sliding window and it did not seem to be all that useful and practical. On the other note, we had a leak in the front window of our Ocelot when about 1.5" of wet snow stuck to the wall above the window (we have a large gap between the truck roof and the cab over). Marty and crew looked at it and had previously figured out that the problem was stretching the sticky foam around the window corners allowed water to leak through - so new thicker foam that is not stretched and problem solved.

I replaced the non sliding front window in my 2005 Hawk with a slider mainly to be able to put my fly fishing rods in there while driving between fishing spots. (The rods stick into the back of the cab.) That way I don't have to break them down and they are ready to go at the next spot. I have also used it to transport long items back from the home improvement store. Definately worth it.
Gregg

The slider leaks through the weep holes, a little silicon and the retro parts from FWC hopefully wiil fix. Their is a tape which will not damage the camper or truck paint that can be used between the boot and units.Scatt or Campers world may carry it.Good luck.

longhorn1 said:
There was a post during the past month about a number of FWC owners that have leaking front windows on the new models. There was a part sent out by FWC to cover the weeps I believe. haven't heard anything as to whether that solved the problem.
Yes, the weep hole covers have successfully done their job. The problem only occurred during the heaviest of downpours while traveling at speed and now it seems to be nice and dry. I imagine that the boot would also keep out the moisture. Thanks again to Terry and the crew at FWC for aggressively working to correct the problem.

Cheers

I made a 13x17" screen from a kit and it fits nicely in the channel on the outside of the sliding front window. I secured it in place with Gorilla tape, hopefully it will stay put and keep out the bugs this summer.

We have the removable window and the boot. We found that the boot rubbed wear marks on the camper siding. It never did wear any paint off the truck. So we would put tape around the camper window to prevent the boot from rubbing the camper. It would have to be retaped frequently. PIA. We also found that the boot squeaked a lot. Annoying. The boot now sits in the garage gathering dust.

MMclimbhigh said:
Yes, the weep hole covers have successfully done their job. The problem only occurred during the heaviest of downpours while traveling at speed and now it seems to be nice and dry. I imagine that the boot would also keep out the moisture. Thanks again to Terry and the crew at FWC for aggressively working to correct the problem.

Cheers
Just picked up my new Grandby with a front slider. Raining on way home, put some tape over the weepholes on the outside and still got water into the camper. I have the covers but wanted to install them at home. Did you just put the plugs in the 4 weepholes on the outside of the window? Seems like my tape would have prevented a leak so I am wondering how the weepholes would be any different? Thanks for any advice.

2011 Eagle on Tacoma. I have te removable window. Great for throwing gear into the access cab while setting up or breaking camp. If one has a small dog it is handy too. I made my own boot and it worked fine but I didn't like taking up the storage space. That said one has to keep bugs out so a screen is a good idea. One good way to make a boot is to buy a small tractor tire inner tube. If you have a small compressor it just takes a moment to put in place and inflate tight to the cab and camper. Strange but true, it works.

What is this removable window? I thought the sliding window was the only option.

I was going to get the slide window but Stan mentioned that they could never get it it seal properly. So I went with the solid window for better seal/insulation.

Back
Top Bottom