Small awnings over soft-side windows?

BFH4N

Has anyone figured out how to install small awnings above the windows in the fabric part of a FWC? It would be nice to be able to keep the windows open while it rains.

- Bernard

If you have the old style outside velcro flaps:

http://dodgeram.org/ki4cy/camper/WinAwnings.htm

window_awning13.jpg

I just noticed you have a 2014, so no outside flaps, but you could do the same thing with the addition of some peel and stick velcro tape.

I usually put the covers up on the upwind side and leave the downwind side open.

It occurs to be there might be a easier way to do this. What about using a awning rail, like we have above the back door? Put a very small awning (maybe a foot or so). A small awning would be easy to hold up and would divert 90% of the rain.

Just a thought.

Small awnings that attach to something like the awning rail on the back is actually what I had in mind. Just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it. It looks pretty easy on older models with the flaps and velrco on the outside, but mine are on the inside ('14 Fleet). They would be out of reach with the top up, so would have to go on first if rain was anticipated. I'm imagining a simple plastic or coated-fabric flap with triangular end pieces and a lightweight wood or aluminum bar frame. The attachment to the edge of the roof is what I can't picture.

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
Small awnings that attach to something like the awning rail on the back is actually what I had in mind. Just wanted to see if anyone has actually done it. It looks pretty easy on older models with the flaps and velrco on the outside, but mine are on the inside ('14 Fleet). They would be out of reach with the top up, so would have to go on first if rain was anticipated. I'm imagining a simple plastic or coated-fabric flap with triangular end pieces and a lightweight wood or aluminum bar frame. The attachment to the edge of the roof is what I can't picture.

- Bernard
The back awning has that rail that the awning slides into - the awning has a small plastic tube that slides into the rail. Same setup that Jeep uses on the on softtops. I think it would be easy to attach that to the roof (metal part) above the windows. The rear awning hooks into the wall and has a metal support - I am thinking something much smaller.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rear+FWC+Awning&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS563US563&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=945&tbm=isch&imgil=H4g5uhMWf3ZLUM%253A%253BgpiXTCD73WjpRM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wanderthewest.com%25252Fforum%25252Ftopic%25252F5218-fwc-rear-awning%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=H4g5uhMWf3ZLUM%253A%252CgpiXTCD73WjpRM%252C_&usg=__4cxeLCzqr1OkDEVpqq7bgHll-X8%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi7wsKzmZTPAhUEkh4KHVqqDWEQyjcIQw&ei=Kg_cV7uFOISketrUtogG#imgrc=H4g5uhMWf3ZLUM%3A

IIRC there are a couple posts on here describing rear awning solutions. I can,t find the standard search feature using IPad, or I'd have taken a stab finding them. Maybe trying a search will turn them up.

Good luck as a rear awning is something I really need to do too.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom