Small campgrounds and dispersed camping on Beartooth Highway?

I spend a bunch of time in the NE corner of yellowstone in spring and early summer. There are numerous fs roads leading to great free camping in the Bearthooth pass area. Some are within miles of the NE entrance. Food storage safety is a must, but encounters with bears while serious by nature are few.
Campgrounds in the parks are nice, but reservations or early check ins are a good idea.
One favorite dispersed spot is across from the cunningham cabin turnoff in the tetons. Great views, no people. No fees!
w

Stew,
if you would like more specific info let me know.
The Teton site i visit every year on fathers day, i like to send a photo to my dad and can just barely get reception.
w

Doug Stewart said:
Frank, where on the ID-MT border is this Red Rocks? It looks like a great place.
Stew it's about 40 miles W of West Yellowstone.It's on Montana road 509,which goes between the Henry's Lake area, Idaho and I 15 at Monida in Montana.It's a dirt east/west road.You should be able to find it on the map.
There is a sorta town there called "Lakeview".
If you are coming out of West Yellowstone on US 20 W you cross over into Idaho than at the turnoff for Henry's Lake you take 509 .It was well signed when I passed that way in the fall of 2013.

Frank

Stew,

You'll find plenty of hits on the area Frank described by searching under Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge"" and "Centennial Valley Montana".

To the best of my knowledge, the community of Lakeview consists of the NRW headquarters building(s) and little else. I don't believe services of any sort are available there.

At the far southeastern end of the Centennial Valley lies the headwater spring known as Browers Spring, the source of the Missouri River. At the northeastern end lies Elk Lake and a rustic resort/cabins/restaurant/bar (Elk Lake Lodge).

MT Route 509 is roughly 60 miles of graded gravel between Henry's Lake, ID on US-20 and Monida, MT on I-15. It crosses the Divide and into MT at Red Rock Pass, an easy crossing in the Centennial Mountains.

Headed that way, from west to east, in July.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom