So You Think You’re Fit

I have to wonder what sort of safety sacrifices had to be made to do that? Seems like a big part of the usual slow pace is the setting and retrieval of climbing anchors. Please don't tell me that the Nose is now bolted!

Not to worry The Nose isn't bolted. They are just climbing fast. Honnold did a free solo last year of Freerider on El Cap and they have been lowering the time steadily over the last week. This was something like their tenth climb over the past 3 weeks.

Hans Florine who has climbed The Nose as much as anyone and frequently held the speed record wrote this a few days ago about speed climbing and risks http://rockandice.com/climbing-news/hans-florine-thoughts-new-nose-record-risk/ note that he has two broken legs from a recent fall while climbing.

i'm surprised they did it that fast using ANY safety gear. That almost makes it more impressive than if they had gone totally free. Wow.

With all of the traffic it wouldn't surprise me if the NPS bolted the Nose. The cracks have got to be showing the wear and tear.

And I see they just bested their time from a couple days ago.

Steve...

I'll raise you one "Mac". Mac is ~54...and yes, this is a relatively recent image.

Screenshot_2018-06-08_22.03.31.png

Mac is a retired SGM from an elite Army unit. SgtMaj for Marines.

Wow, that guy is serious about it. Reminds me of a fellow Gunny that I served with. Muscled like that, and ran the PFT in 15:08. I will never forget that crazy man.

Sometime over a cuppa joe I will share stories about Vern. He lives just a bit south of your new digs.

Back
Top Bottom