Solar controller

takingatrip1

Advanced Member
A panel mounted solar controller where the wires attach to the rear of the controller ( not visible in the interior of the camper ).

Is mounting in the rear panel where the flood light switch a safe spot ? ( Propane storage is next door )

Hawk side dinette layout .

Sent from my LG-H810 using Wander The West mobile app

Could you clarify your questions?

Are you saying you have a portable solar panel with attached charge controller?

Are you looking for a way to mount a socket to feed through the solar panel wiring into the battery compartment directly to the batteries or to run the wires to an existing solar charge controller mounted inside the camper?

Does "mounting in the rear panel" refer to the rear wall of the camper or wires attached to rear of the solar panel?

Paul

Panel mounted solar controller meaning it gets mounted inside a hole cut into the cabinetry not on it . ( Renogy adventurer).

Panel where it's mounted is the cabinet where the flood light switch is underneath the fridge ( in a side dinette layout )

Just took it apart . There is a dead space of about 3 inches before the plastic compartment that the propane is stored in . Looks like an easy install .

Controllers get warm and require a certain amount of air space. You should research requirements for your particular controller.

Says the front acts as the heat sync .

Attachments

• 1469026284016.jpg
    1469026284016.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 99
Normally, solar controllers should be mounted as close to the batteries as practical to cut down on voltage drop. If your batteries are mounted in the front of the camper, you might try to find a spot near them for the controller.

I've seen others mount them on the cabinet where the battery is ( side dinette forward dining seat about calf high ) that might be a better option

Instead of starting a new thread...

My 15amp Zamp solar controller has been making a buzzing sound with my 100w roof panel and 120w portable plugged in when getting full sun. Anyone know what could be causing this?

www.mulehawk.com

Zamp literally has no idea how FWC wires up their products so they aren't much help unfortunately. Not their fault but that's how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

MuleHawk - when I decided to purchase the Zamp 80W portable to plug in the rear plug, I contacted Zamp first. There question was how was the rear plug wired? I contacted FWC and they said the rear plug wire is connected to the Zamp controller, as is the roof top panel. I called Zamp back and they said the portable panel didn't need the controller so I purchased the 80W portable without controller. I haven't heard any buzzing with our. I use the portable to charge my covered camper in the winter and when we are camping without power. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

I know next to nothing about the controller/solar Zamp systems offered by Zamp...BUT the 80w Zamp portable in the FWC Hawk package does not have a controller attached to the portable panel because the Zamp controller inside the Hawk serves as the controller for the portable 80w and the roof mounted 160w Zamp panel. If you buy a stand alone portable Zamp they often come with an attached controller; I believe this would be redundant if you use the external plug on a FWC wired for solar.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom