Solar eclipse in 2017, mid-morning August 21, plan for it now

BILL98388

I'm already committed to an eclipse event in Glendo, Wyoming, or I would be interested. You are right that it's not too early to plan. There will probably be crowds all along the path of totality.

I'm with a group that will be staying at Glendo State Park. I think we are supposed be doing a few astronomy presentations, but planning is still in the early stages. I believe the group I'm with is not open to all (sorry). We've reserved our campsites, but there may still be sites still open at the State Park, and there will be public events at the Glendo airport.

On the other hand, your idea of a meetup near John Day sounds very nice, and might be just the thing for folks on the west coast.

Eclipse has been on my calendar for some time. Not sure where I will go, I have a cousin north of Boise ID might be in that area. Will keep a watch on this thread to see what happens.

John Day or someplace in that vicinity sounds like a good place for a gathering. Definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

BILL98388 said:
All:

Is anyone interested in a viewing gathering of WTW fans for this event? It is not too early to plan.....
It might have been too early when I posted in 2014 -- I only got one response. :D but not too early anymore.

A group viewing -- with a camping rendezvous -- would be fun. I agree about the John Day country being a good location. There's a bald-top drivable peak in that area I mentioned in that previous thread.

But if that doesn't work out I might just drive up to Madras.

It's certainly not too soon to begin acquiring eclipse glasses or filters for viewing it safely. You've got to figure that as the eclipse gets closer, everybody and their kid brother will be trying to find them.

A quick Google search on "viewing solar eclipse safely" turns up numerous sites with good info.

The astronomy supply sites even sell filters suitable for use on binoculars and cameras. Not inexpensive, but I'm thinking about buying one anyway.

Regards
John

Just reserved two nights at Crater Lake NP. We plan on getting up early on the 21th and driving up to Madras OR.

That green pin on the National Geographic page that Bill posted above, is my home!
(Well, right next door anyway)

"Using data from the U.S. Naval Observatory, the green pin marks the area of longest duration of total eclipse—2 minutes and 44 seconds in southern Illinois."

That's Makanda, Illinois!
It's a town that isn't much more than a boardwalk to a small (artist and hippie) community.
Right outside of Carbondale, Il. home of Southern Illinois University.
They are hosting a huge celebration for the event! Just a small plug here :)
https://www.makandaeclipse2017.com/

I am hoping to be able to make the trek back for it, but if not, I'll be looking for someplace nearer me to view.

My wife and I were talking yesterday about going to Smoky Mt. national Park and it looks like the eclipse will be going right through it...might be time to make a reservation!

Hmmm, Stanley, ID is pretty much dead center of the path, sitting in a nice hot spring while watching the eclipse wouldn't be terrible.

Cayuse said:
Hmmm, Stanley, ID is pretty much dead center of the path, sitting in a nice hot spring while watching the eclipse wouldn't be terrible.
I definitely agree with you on the hot spring!

I am hoping to travel to shoot it but don't know where. Should have my truck before then but the camper could be way longer depending on so many variables....(like I don't know which one I want yet) Sooo being in Baltimore I will have to travel and am open to a reasonably decent drive if WTWers are going to meet :)

Happy to join up with WTWs in Eastern Oregon. Had planned to observe eclipse in Grose Ventre east of Tetons but read that Jackson Hole is expecting 50k+ people more than normal. Madness. According to several 2017 eclipse sites eastern Oregon is prime area for several reasons. Weather, remote and scenery. Planning on boondocking near Strawberry Mountain or Lookout Mt south Prairie City.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/oregon/

I've heard that Oregon has decided to cancel the eclipse. There are too many people planning to move into the state for that period of time and they would rather not deal with it. Please make other arrangements...

Bad Habit said:
I've heard that Oregon has decided to cancel the eclipse. There are too many people planning to move into the state for that period of time and they would rather not deal with it. Please make other arrangements...
It's not that we've cancelled the eclipse, just that Gov. Kate Brown has issued an executive order invalidating all the visas from states south and west east :) of us.

Back
Top Bottom