Solar eclipse in 2017, mid-morning August 21, plan for it now

Last time I actually was somewhere to see the eclipse was 1991 July 10th.
At Lassen or better yet on top of Lassen peak.
It wasn't a total but pretty cool from that vantage point.

This time I think I'll do the no people thing and watch it on TV and outside our house that's if there isn't any fog.
Back in the early 70's there was a good eclipse viewed from Salinas but half way to partial total the fog came in
then burned off just after the event. Go figure.

The first eclipse I saw was a total and I was about 8ish in Philadelphia early 50's.
Pretty scary for a wee lad of 8.

Have fun and don't forget the antivenom,shots for who knows what and crowd repellent.
Enjoy
Frank

giphy.gif

(I was going to try to find a better gif, but my laptop started getting to hot on the Giphy site, so I grabbed one :) )

Hi Frank and Foy!

Hahahha! It's good to be back. I guess this move kinda knocked me on the head a little. I missed y'all! :)

I was hoping to make it back home to Carbondale, IL for the eclipse - the town and Makanda (an artist village on the edge of Giant City Park) and the University (SIU) are doing all sorts of fun events and live music that weekend. But I'm not going to take that Monday off work from my new job.

My wife and I will be on the road for much of August with our Tacoma and FWC Finch, spending a few days in the Tetons early in the month, then moving on to southwest Colorado for my wife's family reunion. We were originally planning to be back in Washington by the 19th and to skip watching the eclipse, but then I started thinking, heck, why not take a few more days and try to catch it from someplace more or less on the way home, like eastern Oregon or western Idaho? I pulled out our gazetteers and started scoping out potential spots. Like a number of previous posters on this topic, I thought somewhere in the mountains east of John Day would be about as good as it could get.

My wife initially thought it would be a cool thing to do, but then there was an article in the local paper talking about how many people were going to be in eastern Oregon for the event, the possibility of major traffic gridlock, and the likelihood of very high fire danger. Now she's pretty skeptical about the whole deal. I already had an idea of the potential pitfalls, but I have to admit I'm getting cold feet as well. Reading this topic is kind of reinforcing that.

Still, I hate to completely give up on it. I was at Appalachicola Bay in the Florida Panhandle for the total solar eclipse in, I think, February or March of 1970, but it was totally overcast there, so I didn't get to see much. It was cool, though, how all the sea birds came in to roost as the totality approached and how quickly it became very dark, like a giant rheostat was dimming the light.

For the 1979 total solar eclipse, since the weather forecast for Olympia, where I lived at the time, was lousy, I convinced my then girlfriend to drive over to Satus Pass, north of Goldendale, with me the day before and camp out in the snow overnight. Since we would be directly in the path of the totality and the weather forecast was good, I thought it would be ideal. Well, not so much, as it turned out. It was warmish and the snow conditions were lousy for cross-country skiing. It was socked in the next morning. We ended up getting a brief glimpse of the partial eclipse on the back end through a break in the clouds, but that was it. Meanwhile, just south of us in Goldendale, a lot of folks got a fantastic show and, over on the other side of the pass on the Yakama Reservation, people saw the amazing spectral bands, or whatever they're called, undulating across the rolling, grass-covered hills. And back in good ol' Oly, the clouds opened up to give my housemates a spectacular view of the totality from our front porch!

So, maybe you can get an idea of why I'm reluctant to miss the chance to see this one. My inclination at this point, if my wife will go along with it, is to scope things out on the web before we leave her family's ranch in Colorado as to how things are shaping up in different locations vis a vis crowds, weather, fire danger, etc., then get to somewhere in the path by the 19th or 20th so we can, hopefully, witness this incredible astronomical phenomenon, and then get our butts safely home.

Well I was suppose to have a truck by now with possibly the camper and I have nada. If that doesn't change me and my solara converible will do the best we can to find a cloudless sky I can soot totality from. As far as I am concerned a road in between cities is gonna possibly be the best idea as it should afford a great view with little people.
The idea of boondocking from my convertible is not pleasant but I'm not gonna miss this.....

Maybe I will find a truck by then......

Got my solar filters! One 77mm one 95mm. Have cameras will travel :)

Hello, folks. I am interested in camping in northern Oregon for the eclipse. I read though the posts here but didn't see anything definitive. Are there any concrete plans I can link up with :) I'd love to spend the weekend and the event with other lightweight truck campers...

As of now I'm planning on being in Owens Valley but picked up a Benchmark OR atlas just in case. Never been to OR though so don't know the best places to go.

Yellowstone/Tetons is going to be swamped. They have been talking about expecting extensive traffic problems and they are ordering 3 times the snake bite anti venom because of the expected crowds and the time of the year.

I would avoid the area unless you are a glutton for punishment. There will be no "spots" available based on info I have read. Good luck if you go :)

Happyjax said:
Yellowstone/Tetons is going to be swamped. They have been talking about expecting extensive traffic problems and they are ordering 3 times the snake bite anti venom because of the expected crowds and the time of the year.

I would avoid the area unless you are a glutton for punishment. There will be no "spots" available based on info I have read. Good luck if you go :)
Thanks. Staying right at home to watch a partial one.
Don't want to get any place near there.
Frank

Interesting article on eclipses. You can see how many will occur in your lifetime and where to decide whether you should pass this on up or not, haha.

Interesting for me to find out I live near the least eclipsed area in the country for eclipses since 2000 BC. Next chance is 2024. I think I better plan to check this one out. Don't think I'll make to the next two in 2044 and 2045 but you never know... :)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/eclipse/?utm_term=.5d6c50ccadf7

I don't know exactly where I'll take in the eclipse -- trying to avoid the apoceclipse, the potential crowd-caused cluster-thingy...
But now at least I'll be able to view it safely, before and after totality.

Eclipse_glasses.jpg

Look -- they're even certified to be used on the exact date of this eclipse!
:D

Funny enough, my hometown (Carbondale, Illinois) has the longest viewing time of anywhere along the path, and where I currently live, Columbia, Mo. has a full coverage rather lengthy viewing time as well! SWEET!

So, if you are Midwest-ish, come to Columbia, Mo, or southern Illinois :-D

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Pretty fancy! Mine are just paper framed.
Yeah... since it may be the last total solar eclipse I'll ever see, I figured I'd splurge and get the superior optics -- almost $4/pair! :p

Back
Top Bottom