Solar eclipse in 2017, mid-morning August 21, plan for it now

MarkBC said:
Yeah... since it may be the last total solar eclipse I'll ever see, I figured I'd splurge and get the superior optics -- almost $4/pair! :p
Geez, I had to pay almost $7.00 for 5 pair of paper frames.

Paper here but then I splurged and ordered these as well. They came with a set of clear lenses too for when I want to dress up steampunk :D

81ee8vGHaqL._SL1500_.jpg

You sneaky guy! And you didn't send me a pair of the good ones too?!?! :D

edit: just saw how much those cost. okay, I'm happy with the paper ones :)

I tried on my eclipse glasses today, and what I like about them is -- as I'd hoped -- that they're plenty wide enough for my wide-spaced eyes.

(For example, the 3-D glasses they distribute at "Real 3D" format movies are too narrow (usable but not ideal) -- the lenses aren't centered over my eyes. I've considered cutting the bridge and inserting something to widen the spacing by a few millimeters -- my own custom-tailored 3D glasses...but I haven't yet; I rarely go to movies and 3D movies even more rare.)

hoyden said:
Hey, nice jump link there, MarkBC :)

Yeah, having to wear glasses over glasses sucks. I have that problem
ETAV8R said:
Wearing regular glasses sucks and I've tried contacts and don't like those either.
I have that problem too. MarkBC, would those glasses work worn over regular glasses? I have considered getting some cardboard ones and cutting them to fit behind my glasses. Anyone have other suggestions?

takesiteasy said:
I have that problem too. MarkBC, would those glasses work worn over regular glasses? I have considered getting some cardboard ones and cutting them to fit behind my glasses. Anyone have other suggestions?
You can use the "pin hole box" method.
Maybe not as great as viewing directly but safer.
Frank

Frank, I remember my Dad showing us how to use pin hole cameras for a partial eclipse when I was a kid. We also discovered thousands of mini-eclipses on the ground under trees whose leaves acted like pin-holes. Good memories. :)

Now, like most, I want to see the eclipse directly. I've read you can safely look directly at the eclipse during the total phase but of course not before or after. You can also use fully-exposed and developed black and white film as a safe filter. A layer of silver in the film is protective of your eyes. I am going to look through my negatives to see if I have any exposed frames.

takesiteasy said:
Frank, I remember my Dad showing us how to use pin hole cameras for a partial eclipse when I was a kid. We also discovered thousands of mini-eclipses on the ground under trees whose leaves acted like pin-holes. Good memories. :)

Now, like most, I want to see the eclipse directly. I've read you can safely look directly at the eclipse during the total phase but of course not before or after. You can also use fully-exposed and developed black and white film as a safe filter. A layer of silver in the film is protective of your eyes. I am going to look through my negatives to see if I have any exposed frames.
Al a few years back we were at our cabin in the Sierras and during the partial that year we did see 1.000s of eclipses on the cabin wall through the trees.
That was pretty cool.
Yes viewing directly is nice.
Here on the Ca. coast might have a thin layer of fog and through that we can watch it directly.
Happy viewing.
Frank

takesiteasy said:
I bought those and they fit over my glasses okay. They are pretty large...

Back
Top Bottom