Solar eclipse in 2017, mid-morning August 21, plan for it now

It is! It is!
:oops:

Part of me thinks this might be Y2K all over again. Part of me hopes it is. The more practical part of me is preparing alternate routes, staging delays/offsets, etc.

Here's an example of how big a deal the eclipse is in Central Oregon -- it's affecting our garbage pickup!
BGR_2017_Eclipse.jpg

:eek:

This notice was included with my monthly bill today.

OK, folks. I've known about this event for a long time, but didn't get my act together in time for reservations etc. Over the last week or two I've gathered my resources - previously acquired maps and a newly acquired Benchmark Atlas for Wyoming and Idaho. Also the excellent: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/statistics/ and my Photopills app. (which is sort of like the Photographer's Ephemeris and has been updated with eclipse data.)

This morning, using the atlas and Google Maps/Earth, I've found an interesting spot to disperse camp on BLM land near the geographic center of Wyoming between Casper and Riverton. There's lots of open space around there (and not a few gas wells). The spot is far enough off the pavement to keep the faint of heart away. There should be about 2 minutes of totality at that spot.

If anyone would like to join me for camping and eclipse viewing, send a PM and I'll share the details.

Go for it, Bill.

I'll be interested to learn how isolated your spot turns out to be. I suspect most ever road/trail crossing the centerline of the path of totality will have some visitors.

We can't get out there for this one, so we're venturing down to SC with a DeLorme atlas (no SC Benchmarks). We're eyeing an area somewhat away from population centers but having a network of county roads, with lots of wide open skies due to crop fields on both sides. It thunderstorms move in, we may be able so shift locations via the network of roads without getting stuck along single roads.

Best of luck and safe travels!

Foy

Hi Bill
We're going to be in the area of Shoshoni that morning. There looks to be places to pull over on 20 & 26 , from there headed to Cody..
Are you going to be close to there?
Russ

NOTE: I just read a tech news report that Amazon is recalling ineffective and dangerous solar glasses that they have sold. They are sending emails to folks who purchased those glasses. https://thenextweb.com/insider/2017/08/14/amazon-recalls-ineffective-dangerous-solar-eclipse-glasses/ Not much more info in the article, but apparently they are fraudulently marked with the ISO certification.

Maybe that explains why the glasses I ordered were delayed and have not yet shipped. Fortunately, I found the heavy welding glass my grandfather gave me from his working days at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. I'll use that if my glasses don't show up in time (or maybe even if they do).

Foy: I'm not expecting isolation. I'll be about 80 miles west of Casper (and I-25) and close to the centerline, so would be surprised if there are not numbers of folks wandering around in the area.

CougarCouple: 20/26 east of Shoshoni should be fine. Be advised that the Wind River Indian Reservation is tightly controlling access/parking along the highway through the reservation. They have been offering $50 eclipse parking ($100 for overnight) at certain designated viewing areas. No idea if those are sold out or not.

Thanks BB was not aware of that .
Sent you an email
I ordered ours from the company on the start of this email, three the thru the National Geographic sit there was a link came real quick I think it was the Javier X. American Paper optics.

Russ

Please be aware that, from what I've read on the topic, a welding helmet needs to have a Shade 14 lens in it to be safe for eclipse viewing. I have never seen welding lens darker than a Shade 12 and neither of my auto-dimming helmets can be set darker than 12 either. I'm sure they're probably out there, but odds are against any particular welding helmet having that dark of a lens in it.

ntsqd said:
Please be aware that, from what I've read on the topic, a welding helmet needs to have a Shade 14 lens in it to be safe for eclipse viewing. I have never seen welding lens darker than a Shade 12 and neither of my auto-dimming helmets can be set darker than 12 either. I'm sure they're probably out there, but odds are against any particular welding helmet having that dark of a lens in it.
I read that as well. I have taped together a #10 and #4 glass... in series, if you will. I don't have a helmet so will hold the sandwich in front of my eyes by hand.

I also got a text from Amazon stating my eclipse glasses will be delivered tomorrow via overnight air. If so then the welding glass issue will be moot.

I leave Saturday. First night BLM camp above Weed CA. Next two nights Crater Lake NP, made reservations a year ago. Going to get up real early on Monday and drive until I see a good back road to drive up as long as I am above Redmond. Should be good.

Good luck and enjoy , everybody. Enjoying the cool breezes above the Columbia gorge now. Will head inland tomorrow and try to stake out a spot by late Thursday. Than will be interesting to see if it fills up. Don't plan to move till tues, let traffic thin out. More and more warnings on the radio. Telling people in Portland area not to go to work on Monday!
Got the amazon refund and warning also. Will have to see if can find a couple more sets along the trail.

Leaving Salinas Friday at noon and getting as far as Redding. Then we'll head up to Terrebonne, Oregon on Saturday where I have a friend who resides on a 6-acre ranchette. Glad my camper has two 5-gallon AT jerry can holders on the back! We'll get about a minute and a half of totality in Terrebonne.

If gas is available, we'll head into the John Day Country on Tuesday where I did my geology field camp with OSU near Mitchell, Oregon back in 85.

After that, it's back down south to Newberry Volcano & Paulina Lake on Wednesday and Diamond Lake on Thursday. We'll sideswipe Crater Lake on our way back south and overnight at McArther-Burney SP on Friday night. Then onto the Monterey Bay on Saturday.

We started making plans & preparations 18 months ago.

I received my certified eclipse viewing glasses this morning from Amazon via UPS overnight air. Hooray! They sure had a time of it, didn't they? First they had to recall who knows how many pairs for non-compliance, then they panicked and refunded $150 to all customers who'd purchased those expensive Lee photographic eclipse filters - which were OK after all, and then paid for overnight delivery for the rest of us who'd ordered brand name glasses that were delayed while they spun in circles. Whew!

Now if the weather will cooperate for us all, it will be a memorable event.

All y'all who will be traveling this week/weekend, stay safe! I'm lucky that where I currently live is in the path of totality, so I can safely stay home for this experience. That said, I'd SO MUCH RATHER be out in the middle of nowhere for this. (it seems to be hard to find 'middle of nowhere' here in the midwest)

Looks like NASA is setting up in Jefferson City, Mo (about 20 miles from me). Neat!
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-announces-television-coverage-for-aug-21-solar-eclipse

Wow! Amazon sure screwed up with the eclipse glasses. I guess their legal department soiled their britches at the thought of being liable for burning the retinas of a several million Americans. They don't mind selling bogus overseas crap though. Still, haven't seen my refund.

I'll be leaving Thursday for Unity, Oregon, threading my way along a well planned route to avoid as much of humanity as possible.

For those experiencing the eclipse, Enjoy it.

Just heard from friends that are currently in the West Yellowstone area. They report that that Idaho Falls is expecting 500K visitors.

If you have doubts about glasses or filters I read that you can point them at a very bright light bulb and you should not be able to see anything but the filament. I did this with the glasses I got from B&H and the solar filter I got from Thousand Oaks. I also did it with a 10 stop ND filter and there is a noticeable difference between the 10 stop ND and the solar optics.

I suspect you could probably shoot some pics with the "Lee filter" without issue as long as you use live view to protect your eyes. Do the light bulb test and see. It will take a second or two for your eyes to acclimate enough to see the filament. If you see something right away chances are it's not sufficient to protect you. This is my first eclipse so this is all based on info I have read. YMMV

Remember, you can not feel pain in your retina and you can destroy it without knowing. If there is any doubt don't risk your eyes. Also I would not look through the viewfinder of the camera even with the solar filter on. Use liveview, it is the safest way.

Enjoy everyone!

Back
Top Bottom