Solar Electrical Array - Laid out correctly?

My mistake, didn't think through my response far enough. Had assumed a wire gauge normally appropriate for the current and not a "Handy Bob" wire gauge. Where's the eggs on face emoji?

I disagree somewhat. A short is still a short, and those will produce heat even if it doesn't melt the wire itself. In simplifying I was unintentionally misleading. You are protecting the wire down stream of the fuse, but you're also protecting everything adjacent to the wire that could be ignited by that heat.

I do agree though, that the potential (hehe) for damage isn't all that great.

That's my take. On my camper there is circuit protection between all major components. If nothing else it's makes a convenient disconnect point for diagnostics. I'm more concerned with the end result of a short especially battery amperage than the wiring itself. Short a battery cable and the end result is an ARC WELDER!

Renology makes an inline fuse for MC4 connectors. This puts it close to the panels and is probably the cheapest and easiest route.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YG2BZM0/ref=asc_df_B00YG2BZM05108985/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B00YG2BZM0&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193994910693&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15410445006538275903&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007906&hvtargid=pla-313511126853

The point is still that the fuse won't trip, even in case of a dead short - the maximum short circuit current is well below the trip point of any fuse you would use. For example on my 150w panel the operation current is 8.4a and the short circuit current is 9.1a. Dialing a fuse into that gap would be near impossible.

Hadn't looked at it that way. You'll rarely if ever get 8.4A out of the panel unless ideal conditions and placement relative to the sun. I'd try a 7.5A fuse just to see if it would work under max real world conditions.

Or not worry about it.

The fuse in the wire to the panel would also protect the wiring from heating enough to ignite flamables between the charge controller and the panel in the event of a short at the front lift panel failure point if there is a path from the batteries through the charge controller to the panel wires. Is the nighttime blocking diode located in the charge controller or in the solar panel? If relying on having the diode in the panel, then fuse serves a safety purpose.

I don't know the answer but it might be worth asking your charge controller mfg.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom