Solar Panel Install on Older Roof

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member
Hey there,

I have a 2006 Eagle, which has the older style roof where the bolts are exposed. I was wondering if there are links (with photos) of how individuals installed their own solar panels.

Thanks!

I did. I used sturdy 90* aluminum the width of the camper. Screwed and sealed that down to the roof my making new holes and screws ... the existing screws in the roof may not be in the "right" place to mount your stuff, and they also make if super easy to locate the frame beneath the roof.

The solar panel was then bolted to the aluminum L brackets. SUPER sturdy.

Vic Harder said:
I did. I used sturdy 90* aluminum the width of the camper. Screwed and sealed that down to the roof my making new holes and screws ... the existing screws in the roof may not be in the "right" place to mount your stuff, and they also make if super easy to locate the frame beneath the roof.

The solar panel was then bolted to the aluminum L brackets. SUPER sturdy.
Do you have photos?

I guess I'll have to go take some pics as my original thread pics were photobucketed. I made my own rack and bolted my panels to it.

Here is an example from my stalled project. The cross-members carry most of their weight on the outer edges of the roof. I attached each cross member in two places on the fore/aft frame with L brackets to help reduce flex and distribute a bit of the weight across the roof. The two solar panels weight about 40 lbs apiece.

full

full

full

full

I've put 100w renogy panels on my old '88 grandby, my current 92' grandby and also my folks 2014 Hawk. There are multiple bolt holes on the panel to bolt the "z brackets" onto the panel that will line up with the roof "studs" on the camper roof. It was much easier with the older campers with the exposed screws on the roof since I could see exactly where the cross members or aluminum studs were. Take a tape measure and see how far apart the studs are and then apply that measurement to the panel and see where the Z brackets need to be bolted on. Use the self tapping screws that come with the brackets and plenty of high quality sealant and you should be in business. The screws holes might not line up perfectly with the studs but you can drive those screws through the Z bracket in any spot to make sure you hit the stud dead center. Just don't over tighten them, aluminum is soft. Between the 3 campers and many thousands of sometimes rough miles there has never been a problem.

Here's the kit I use if you're still looking for a solar set up. good luck

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocrystalline-Negative-Controller-Connectors/dp/B00BFCNFRM/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2OPLGGPIC3UPE&keywords=renogy+z+brackets&qid=1560631498&s=gateway&sprefix=renogy+z%2Cinstant-video%2C255&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom