I have both a 100 and a 150 watt panel mounted to the tracks. The 100 will require an angle to mount to the tracks as it is not as long as the distance between the tracks. The 150 watt does not need an angle you can use the Z brackets to mount to the tracks.

I would start with a 150 watt panel if I did it over. Price and weight about the same if you add price and weight of slum angle.

full

full

I used the z brackets from Renogy solar to add my solar to my tracks.

It is nice if you buy a panel long enough to cover the tracks otherwise you will also need some other hardware like Bill has.

Mine has worked fantastic. The panels have not blown off and since it's a hard panel, I hope that it should work for many years to come.

So it says optimum voltage around 8.3 amps (@24v). I assume that the MPPT would take that and toss about 17 amps into your 12v system? If so that is a killer setup :)

It does routinely get around 15+ volts on a clear day.

For a single panel it works great. I'd recommend it to anyone with the right controller.

What brand is the 150 Bill? Do you like it and the Renogy? I think 250w is great if you are running a compressor fridge and charging computers and watching TV. Hard to have to much solar.......

I am working on a Yakima Tracks solar install. 60" seems to be the longest track length I can find on the Yakima and REI website. Is it possible to source longer tracks or can you connect multiple tracks together?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I believe mine are connected. I'll check and correct if that's not the case.

Edit: yes they are connected.
Thank you for checking, looks like I better get some ordered before they go off sale at REI!

DrJ said:
I used the z brackets from Renogy solar to add my solar to my tracks.

It is nice if you buy a panel long enough to cover the tracks otherwise you will also need some other hardware like Bill has.

Mine has worked fantastic. The panels have not blown off and since it's a hard panel, I hope that it should work for many years to come.
Dr. J, great setup. I've been reading some of your solar and electrical post. Its been very helpful. Thank you. What type of MPPT controller are you using? Do you have any issues with raising the top? Do you have 40 lb external struts?

Here is the finished product! Thank you to everyone here, super helpful!! It worked swimmingly over Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge. It didn't fly off in the Gorge, and we had a full battery at all times.

Riley

ImageUploadedByWander The West1464972969.612446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

rilcombs said:
Here is the finished product! Thank you to everyone here, super helpful!! It worked swimmingly over Sasquatch Music Festival at the Gorge. It didn't fly off in the Gorge, and we had a full battery at all times.

Riley

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1464972969.612446.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West
Hey rilcombs,

what size angle aluminum did you go with? 1.5" x 1/16 or 1/8?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-x-96-in-Aluminum-Angle-Bar-with-1-8-in-Thick-802617/204273956

I am also considering the stick on mounts using 3M VHB, thus freeing up my slider tracks for any type of gear/footpad arrangement, as the panels would not be in contact with the yakima tracks at all ( i am looking at 100w panels from renogy which are 47" long, fitting inside the 60" spread of the yakima tracks). Spendy though at $160 for 2 panels worth of brackets

http://www.amsolarrv.com/accpanels/35rocker

Back
Top Bottom