solar wiring issues

captainphx

Hi guys, been a while. We just got back from a 9 day trip in Northern AZ. Hadn't had the camper out in a while. Having an issue with my solar wiring.

I originally had the FWC 85 watt on the roof. Removed it and installed two 9 amp 160 watters on the roof along with trimetric charge controller and monitor. I use the 5 amp 85 watt as a portable plugged into the side of the camper and going to the same controller. On this trip, the roof panels sometimes charged and sometimes did not. When I plug in the portable...it charges.

When I got home, I connected the portable into the roof where the two 160's plug in and it charges. So I believe everything downstream of the roof connector is good. I disconnected everything starting at the panels, and checked for Amps with a multimeter.. Checks good. As I started reconnecting I checked for Amps at each connection...all good. No loose connections or anything. I can't wiggle wires or connections to make it stop charging. Camper sitting in full sun. Sometimes it keeps a full charge. Sometimes I check few days later and the battery is down. I plug in the portable..charges. Plug the portable in to the roof... charges. Plug the roof panels back into the roof...charges. A few days later. Battery is down again...to maybe 95 %.

The roof panel that sits over the roof connector, sits really low above the roof, pushing down on (stressing) the roof connector. See photo. Not sure if that is the issue. Can't think of anything else. Has anyone ever seen a DC type connector that is similar to the floor plug-ins ( in your house) that are for under a rug? You know, the kind that lie flat? Otherwise, I will place some spacers under the roof panel to raise it up a bit, to take the stress off the plug. Don't know what else to try.

During this last trip, in the morning, I saw a charge rate of more than 15 amps/hr. So I know they were all working. Conversely, though, I also saw no charging on some mornings, full sun, battery down to 80%. Plug in the portable...and it charges.

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5599.jpg

My first suspicion is that thermal changes in the panel above the connector alter how much pressure is being put on the connector and that is the source of your variablity. Maybe something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KV1PFS0/ and move the connector either out onto the roof or inside of it, or even eliminate it completely?

I'm with Thom. The change/variable seems to be plugging/unplugging, and that connector does look stressed. I use a connector like the one Thom linked too. Spacing the panel a bit higher seems like a good option. Maybe just sit the panel on a few 2x4 up there temporarily and see if the problem continues?

Thanks guys. Having two WTW pro's like you guy's helps. Next plan is to raise up the panel with a spacer to take the stress off the connector and see what happens. After that I will try that connector you showed, Thom. I'll let you know. Thanks for the reply.

craig333 said:
Take a good look at the wiring behind the lift panel.
I agree with Craig. The wiring behind the lift panel is a poor design and used the wrong type of wire back when my camper was built. You could have a intermittent open circuit each time the roof is opened or closed.

I replaced the Sae connector in the rooh with this

71TG8hyO2GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMWKR29?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

MC4 connectors

i n doing this I get rid of the adapter and the MC4 is a much more robust connector.

Being the roof you will not be making this connection very often and I find the MC4 is not difficult to undo.

I had a problem when I used a car wash brush and bumped the SAE connector loose.

Machinebuilder said:
I replaced the Sae connector in the rooh with this

71TG8hyO2GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMWKR29?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details
MC4 connectors

i n doing this I get rid of the adapter and the MC4 is a much more robust connector.

Being the roof you will not be making this connection very often and I find the MC4 is not difficult to undo.

I had a problem when I used a car wash brush and bumped the SAE connector loose.

What is the height of this?

camelracer said:
I agree with Craig. The wiring behind the lift panel is a poor design and used the wrong type of wire back when my camper was built. You could have a intermittent open circuit each time the roof is opened or closed.
Thanks, I'll check that

Back
Top Bottom