Soliciting suspension upgrade suggestions

Ramblinman

Hello,

I am looking for some ideas that would allow me to beef up my suspension. My current veh is a 1998 1/2 ton Chev Z71 (155000miles/250000km) that sports a loaded Hawk. It is not uncommon for me to be 1000lbs over GVW.

While agree with everyone that this camper needs a 3/4ton, and yes my next truck with be a 3/4 ton or even a 1 ton I would like to get a some more milage out of it. In short I am not sure that I need to spend 20000-40000 for a new ride.

I have installed Ride Rite Air Bags, I am considering the following:

1. Blistien Shocks

2. Sway Bar

I would be happy to hear any comments or suggestions before I put down more money on this already aging rig.

Thanks

I did air bags first on my 2005 Tundra to get level. Then added a Hellwig sway bar. Made so much difference in the handling of my truck I should have added years ago.

Bill

Good suggestions from Bill. I also have the "ride rite's" on my 02 Tundra. I like them as I can level the truck for down the road or in camp.
A previous truck,Ford Ranger, I used the "supper-springs" they did the job but cost and the ability to level with the air bags made my choice. The springs for the Tundra were way more than for the Ranger and the air bags were less.

If you are really concerned about weight and don't want to spring for that new truck maybe a set of beefier springs will help carry the load better.
But you sound like you are on the right path.
Frank

I have Bilstien rear shocks and an OME Heavy Duty Leaf Pack, great upgrade and I have no trouble on or off road now with my Falcon. ARB does not make a leaf pack for your truck but I'm sure someone does.

I think you have the suspension covered. Maybe make sure tires and brakes are in great shape also.

also when looking for a replacement rig there is nothing wrong with a good used 3/4 or 1 ton.

I bought the Ride-Rite air bags for my 2010 Tundra before getting the Hawk installed and had a Hellwig rear sway bar installed at the same time. There was a bad swivel valve in air bags such that I had to run them with very low pressure until the part arrived.

The sway bar changed the handling for the better so much that it felt more like a sports car than a pickup when driving Or Hwy 6 to Tillamook. No lean or sway around Oregon's notoriously badly banked/crowned roads. The Hellwig seems to be much beefier than the factory sway bar.

Got the Ride-Rites fixed after the getting the camper installed. They do level the truck front to back but the elimination of side to side sway is mostly the Hellwig.

I probably would buy the SumoSprings rather than air bags if doing it again. Eliminating moving parts that rely on air pressure seems to be a good thing to do.

Paul

I believe that the 3/4 rear leaf springs from the same vintage truck are a direct swap. They'll be the semi-famous "GM 63's" (63" long as measured along the main leaf). In rock crawler circles they're well known for their suppleness and I know them to have an excellent ride quality. I have a set of them, from a 3/4t donor, under the rear of my '84 Xcab Toyota and couldn't be happier with them. I removed a couple of the shortest leaves to drop the spring rate for that light truck and they totally transformed the rear suspension. They work equally well hauling a wad of gear across NV for a week long "guy trip" or hauling arse across the desert access roads chasing the desert racers. In your case I'd just plug them in as-is.

That would be my first step, then after driving it see if the sway-bar is needed. I doubt that you'll need air bags.

I'm happy with the super springs under my 06 tundra. I have fought leaks on air systems before, this time I went with steel. I have since found sources for replacement high rate spring packs and would use them if there was a next time. I might have to try a sway bar though, everyone speak well of them. I also installed H.D. Bilsteins on the rear, big improvement over the stock shocks.

I agree with ntsqd, even though I have a Ford 1/2 ton F-150 4x4 because I basically upgraded my truck with 3/4 ton rear springs/suspension. I tried just about everything to get a better ride with my Grandby-new shocks,overloads air bags the whole works and still had that reversed rake and other problems. I finially went to Ford and they recommended a local blacksmith that specialized in up grading 1/2 suspensions to 3/4 ton. Best $500.00 bucks i ever spent-no problems and my truck runs like a charm. I know you are up in Canada, but the name of the place i used is Moores Blacksmith Shop-Redbluff, California-maybe even worth a call to see how they do it if you have no luck -just a thought :p !

Smoke

If your looking for used 3/4 ton parts, I have used these guys and they are great. You can either get the parts shipped to your destination in CA or get them to ship them to a freight forwarder or mail depot at the border. There are lots of wreckers in AB but if they don't have what you need you will likely get rust free stuff from subway.

http://subwaytruckparts.com/make/c2500

My dad has had two chev's 1990 and 1996 that went to over 400,000km so it may be worth investing in it until the new small diesel cummins pickups and aluminum fords start showing large improvements in performance and fueleconomy.

wetcoast said:
I have Bilstien rear shocks and an OME Heavy Duty Leaf Pack, great upgrade and I have no trouble on or off road now with my Falcon. ARB does not make a leaf pack for your truck but I'm sure someone does.
How is the ride with the OME leaf pack with an empty bed?

Got my 1999 Grandby on a stock 2002 long bed Chev 1/2 ton with Air-Lifts and Bilstiens. Air lifts at 70# seemed to stop all sway problems stayed with stock 245 tires but went to 10 ply rating. Toyo A/T Open Country's at 50 psi. Fantastic tires...got me through some ice and snow on single track, where I thought I'd need chains...

snc00693-56670106.jpg

In the beginning had my Grandby on a new 1991 F150, and soon realized the rear suspension needed help. Went with air bags which gave a nice ride but after popping them twice went to a good spring shop had more rear leaf springs added. No more worries about leaks, broken air bags etc. The other big drawback with the 1/2 ton truck was the braking system felt like it was being pushed to the limit. Currently have my popup on a 3/4 ton and it works well, and next time might as well go with 1 ton.

Care needs to be taken when doing this. The axle with the most roll spring rate will have the least cornering power. So if the added-on rear sway bar is stiffer than the front bar the rear will have less cornering traction. This results in an Over-steer situation, i.e. the rear will pass the front on the outside. This is generally preferred by highly skilled drivers, but the OEM's consider it to be the least safe option. Under-steer, the front not turning exactly as directed due to the front having a stiffer roll spring rate, is considered the best for normal drivers.

Back
Top Bottom