Solvent for Polybutyl tape residue ?

DavidGraves

Howdy

Is there a solvent for removing residue of polybutyl (SP) tape used on an FWC roof ?

Thanks

David Graves

You can use a product called "Goof Off". Can be found at most hardware or automotive stores. You should test it on your roof to make sure it wouldn't hurt the finish.

Some time ago I tried either Goof Off or Goo Gone Extreme to remove stubborn leftovers after removing an old-sun-dried decal from my Hawk's siding. Big mistake. It took paint off down to bare metal with the first touch. I had to touch it up.

Fortunately, Rustoleum Gloss White is an excellent match for my siding.

Aggressive removal with chemical or mechanical method will remove(wear through) some of the finish.

Thanks All

Fortunately our camper is 2019 so the residue is fairly soft still....comes off pretty well.

I am not too worried as I will reinstall with the same tape.

David Graves

You might want to try WD-40 or another spray type of general lubricant. Another one that might work is PB Blaster.

I just did both roof vents and rear window. I tried WD40, Goo-Gone, Acetone, Goof Off, a wire wheel on a drill, mineral spirits, and probably some other things.

What worked the best (for me) was the spray on Goo-Gone Gel and a plastic scraper. Let the Goo-Gone sit for 10-30 mins and start using the plastic scraper. You'll then need to repeat 1-2 more times until it is 100% off. Goo-Gone is the citrus based stuff but it goes in and really dissolves the adhesive.

bajaphile said:
I just did both roof vents and rear window. I tried WD40, Goo-Gone, Acetone, Goof Off, a wire wheel on a drill, mineral spirits, and probably some other things.
What worked the best (for me) was the spray on Goo-Gone Gel and a plastic scraper. Let the Goo-Gone sit for 10-30 mins and start using the plastic scraper. You'll then need to repeat 1-2 more times until it is 100% off. Goo-Gone is the citrus based stuff but it goes in and really dissolves the adhesive.
Adding to this, plastic razor blades and plastic RV sealant chisels are handy tools to have. Together probably less than $20.

NAPTHA is the best solvent for this. Unfortunately it has been banned by California (Colorado)! I buy it when I travel out of state! If you old guys remember lighter fluid, that was Naptha.

Scott81621 said:
NAPTHA is the best solvent for this. Unfortunately it has been banned by California (Colorado)! I buy it when I travel out of state! If you old guys remember lighter fluid, that was Naptha.
I still use my old SVEA and Optimus stoves. Does this mean what used to be Coleman fuel is also banned?

No, no, no. Only California is banned. :LOL:

There are other states where one can camp. :p

And you might even be able to afford the gas to get there. (At least, for another week or so.)
Paul

Colman fuel is just unleaded gas. I remember a trip when I was almost out of gas and added my Colman fuel to the truck and made it to my destination!

Scott81621 said:
Colman fuel is just unleaded gas. I remember a trip when I was almost out of gas and added my Colman fuel to the truck and made it to my destination!
Just be aware that naphtha is a lower grade petroleum distillate than automotive gasoline and it doesn't have any additives, such as detergents. Versus the 87 octane gasoline I use in my truck, the octane rating of naphtha tops out at about 70.

Back to the original question - I've used WD-40 with a green scouring pad to remove decal residues. It's work and I don't like the smell of the stuff. Naphtha I believe would have a tendency to evaporate too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom