source for 1 1/8 " aluminum pipe/tubing to replace Yakima bars ?

DavidGraves

Howdy

I am trying to source some 1 1/8 aluminum pipe/tubing in order to make up some lighter Yakima bars.

I carry three of the 78" bars and think the weight savings would be worth it.

I don't carry any fixed load but only transport our Klepper folding kayaks after we get where we are going.

In fact we leave the racks off for long distance travel to limit wind drag.

I am located in the north west.

DavidGraves

I too have wondered why they don't use aluminum, could be a fatigue problem long term. May want to think hard about it. Ron

Wandering Sagebrush said:
David, it might be easier to make a lift system using a speaker lift. There are a couple of threads on it. Less than a $100 through Guitar Center. PM me if you want details.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/9597-using-a-pro-audio-adj-speaker-stand-to-raise-your-roof/
Hi

I should have clarified my weight saving quest....its for our old trusty Toyota T100 !

Our camper is Hawk shell and I am trying to keep the whole package as light as I can.

We are not hard core off roaders but we like to go to pretty remote areas here and in Baja.

We carry enough toys and stuff for mutli-week trips and it can add up to more work and less fun.

nikonron said:
You can do a search on Ebay for the tubing, plenty of it there.
Thanks I had not considered Ebay.....three 78" lengths would not be too much weight to ship....I guess I don't need to go get it directly from a supplier.

I did call Alaska Copper and Brass, a major big supplier of non ferous materials and the counter man said "no way" for 1 1/8"

If you want 1.125" OD then you need tubing. 1.125 pipe, assuming that you can even get that, will be on the order of 1.500" OD or more depending on which "Schedule" it is. Tubing is sized by the OD. Pipe is sized by the ID with its wall thickness denoted by the "Schedule" with Sched 10 being thinner than Sched 40 which in turn is thinner than Sched 80. Tubing is expected to be structural, so the important dimension is the OD. Pipe is expected to carry some sort of fluid, so it is sized by the ID.

Not the least expensive option, but have you looked at mcmaster.com?

First of all - those are cook kayaks. I hadn't seen those before. Looks like fun.

I recently picked up a set of the long Yakima bars (86" I believe) for the top of my rig and my first comment was how stout they were, both heavy and strong. My only point is, depending on how much you are going to use them, the span between your towers, etc, I wonder what the trade off in strength is? I also suspect that plastic coating on the Yack bars provides a good grip surface for the cradles to grab so you might need to figure out some friction tape etc under the cradles.

Yackima and Thule have newer 'aero' versions of their bars out. Any weight savings going with them instead?

I have used 16ga stainless 1" tubing then marked 6" on each end where the towers clamp and put 2 layers of heat shrink electrical tubing. After shrinking down it just fits and clamps tight. Some deflection but much lighter!

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Just saw this thread. I just did the same thing. I ordered my aluminum tubing here. It came in about a week ago.
http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=rndtube&LimAcc=%20&aident=

Yes it's lighter than steel bars. But these are heavy wall aluminum and strong so they do have some weight. I've mounted mine in the towers and I think they will hold anything the rack is rated for.

Back
Top Bottom