South of Yellowstone

dorocks

Greetings

We are going to be in Yellowstone in a couple weeks. When we leave we will be going south to Jackson and eventually home to San Diego area. We will be looking for dispersed camping in the Bridger-Teton National Forest. It's a big area and I am unsure where to look. I have a 4WD Ram and Lance camper. Any suggestions from those of you who may have stayed there, during what should be a very busy time in the area.

I did check out https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/btnf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=71389&actid=34

Keith

Do you need a campsite near Jackson for a few days while visiting the Tetons? Or are you looking for an overnight as you pass through?

One option is just south of Yellowstone but before you enter Grand Teton, there are designated dispersed sites on Grassy Lake Road. The first few designated areas have multiple sites in one location, but the farther sites are all singles.

Another option is Buffalo Valley Road just east of Moran Junction. There are a few dispersed sites in the first few miles, then after a point there are only designated dispersed sites, all free. Site #18 was excellent and available for us to camp on the 4th of July this year.

Otherwise try Flat Creek Road northeast of Jackson. Or southeast of Jackson on Granite Creek.

One are i have visited a few times is the forest access across from the cunningham cabin area in the park. Has gotten busier the last few years, but there are some great spots back there. The gros ventre area by kelly has some nice areas as well.

A few years ago I read that you need to reserve the spots on the GrassyLake Road.Might check that out.
The area is very nice.
All campgrounds in Teton are by reservation only now. There are a couple NF spots a few miles up stream
from the Gros Ventre campground.Never camped at them but drove back there. They seem to be close to the river.
Frank

If you go up Granite Creek, you have the CCC hot springs pool at road's end.

Also remember the Sturgis Rally in the first part of August - keep an eye out for bikes on the road through that whole area.

Back
Top Bottom