Southern Utah Mid-may - any takers?

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I'm hoping to do a Utah trip in May and if anyone thought they could join me I'd be inclined to do something way off the beaten path. If I go alone I will probably explore the San Rafael Swell. If someone joins me then perhaps Capitol Reef?

Going that way ourselves, but a couple of weeks after you. Just as well we can't join you. You would only go on and on in your trip report about Ted living up to his moniker. :p

The area around the San Rafael swell is a little higher in elevation and thus going to be a little cooler. UT is hot that time of year. The area around Escalante-Zion and the plateau should also be a little higher. Just some thoughts.

I'd rather stay on this side of the CO River but y'never know. I'll see how it pans out for that part of May.

I'm heading to that area maybe the 10th, don't want to wait until it gets too warm. I have been thinking about Goblin Valley or the San Rafael Swell just North of there. Or a little further West by Capital Reef. Last year I did the Burr Trail (super)
272088888_iqVmN-M.jpg

and camped at Cedar Mesa where there was just one other camper, a FWC of course. This year I was thinking I might do the dirt road in the Northern end of the park.

Cathedral Valley Campground

The Cathedral Campground is located approximately halfway on the Cathedral Valley loop road which traverses Capitol Reef's Cathedral District. About 36 miles from the Visitor Center, this primitive, no-fee campground has six sites, each with a picnic table and fire grate. There is a pit toilet, but no water available. The campground is open year-round; however, visitors should check road conditions with the Capitol Reef Visitor Center prior to planning an overnight stay. The campground is at approximately 7000 feet in elevation, in the Pinyon/Juniper-clad foothills of Thousand Lake Mountain. No reservations; first-come, first-served.

Cathedral Valley Campground stayed there years ago and was a nice place. That whole loop is a nice drive that I would like to do again.

If you find yourself near Goblin Valley I would suggest taking a bit of time to find/hike the Wild horse/Bell Canyon loop. (NW of GV if I remember correctly) Both of these canyons contain very nice/managable "narrows" that are a good mile or so long each...if not more. In a few places it's only a few feet wide....

have fun. be safe. Watch the sky. Heed the warnings.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/swell/little.htm

mtn

If you find yourself near Goblin Valley I would suggest taking a bit of time to find/hike the Wild horse/Bell Canyon loop. (NW of GV if I remember correctly) Both of these canyons contain very nice/managable "narrows" that are a good mile or so long each...if not more. In a few places it's only a few feet wide....

have fun. be safe. Watch the sky. Heed the warnings.

http://www.canyoneer...well/little.htm

mtn

You should come along. I'll provide you with a "hall pass" to travel in Utah unmolested for a few days
biggrin.gif

LOL, Dirty Dog. It's been awhile since I've been to PolygamyLand...that's for sure. I think I have my driving privileges back now though. LOL (they informed me after charging me with one count of possession of marijuana and one count of paraphenalia that my "right" to drive in Utah was suspended for 6 months. What they REALLY wanted was the $50 to re-instate the "right"...exactly like the $1000 I paid em for the pot and the pipe I had in my possession..it's all about the $$$)

Making it out that way for a few days would depend on >when< you are going. We already have a campout (OK, smokeout) planned with a group of folks from a list much like this one (except the "focus" of the list is growing MMJ rather than FWC's) for the 22nd-23rd near Leadville.

The way MMJ is exploding here in Colorado we may have a couple thousand folks show up. LOL.

Either way...those "narrows" hikes in Wild horse and Bell are some of the most surreal hiking I've ever done....

happy trails

mtn

Mountain Man,
Speaking of CO, one of the great bands of all time will be at the Pagosa Folk 'n Bluegrass Music Festival. Well worth a trip to hear them.

Here's a clip of the QSB. Enjoy

Hey Jay, well I'm in love now. Thanks! Great Texas swing rendition of It's a Sin to Tell a Lie. Love it all but really like how the bass work comes through. When is the Pagosa Festival?

DD, sorry for the minor hijack...........

Cathedral Valley Campground stayed there years ago and was a nice place. That whole loop is a nice drive that I would like to do again.

Is this 4WD road only? Or can we 2-wheelers take it. We might go that way on our route to Yellowstone and other points east. Thanks Frank

I'm heading to that area maybe the 10th, don't want to wait until it gets too warm. I have been thinking about Goblin Valley or the San Rafael Swell just North of there. Or a little further West by Capital Reef. Last year I did the Burr Trail (super)

This year I was thinking I might do the dirt road in the Northern end of the park.

Cathedral Valley Campground

Barko,

I've wanted to do get to Cathederal Valley for years. I might be able to meet you out there around the 10th.

Stew

Barko,

I've wanted to do get to Cathederal Valley for years. I might be able to meet you out there around the 10th.

Stew

I'll be dragging a dual sport bike and a ATV but don't know if I want to use my 6x10 enclosed trailer because of the ground clearance/etc. I have a sturdier trailer that can haul them in but need to do a little work to it to make it work. Just found out my daughter has a Dr appt the 10th so I might leave here after that.

Is this 4WD road only? Or can we 2-wheelers take it. We might go that way on our route to Yellowstone and other points east. Thanks Frank

Frank, I know a 2WD can do the Burr Trail (paved now except the switchbacks), the Notom-Bullfrog Road, and the Hole-in-the Wall Trail if the conditions are right. I can't speak about the roads to Cathedral Valley.

I'll be dragging a dual sport bike and a ATV but don't know if I want to use my 6x10 enclosed trailer because of the ground clearance/etc. I have a sturdier trailer that can haul them in but need to do a little work to it to make it work. Just found out my daughter has a Dr appt the 10th so I might leave here after that.

I expect that a day or two, one way or the other shouldn't be a problem. I might try to meet up with DD and the WtW boys the next week and a bit north, though.

Back
Top Bottom