Southern Utah Mid-may - any takers?

I'll be between Moab and Moneymint Valley between 13 and 22 May. There will be three rigs, five people. We'll prolly make Cottonwood CG (Comb Wash) our base for a few days. I wouldn't mind meeting others, and neither would the others.

I should be in UT about the same time but maybe up north a bit.

Will you be arriving after a long day's drive or just a short one?

I'll be taking a few days to get there so most likely short.

I'll be taking a few days to get there so most likely short.

Maybe we can meet at one of those "ranch exits" on 70 and then poke around half a day before looking for an interesting camp.

Maybe we can meet at one of those "ranch exits" on 70 and then poke around half a day before looking for an interesting camp.

I like the sound of that. There is a map here if we want to choose an exit:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/areas?area=37

I like the sound of that. There is a map here if we want to choose an exit:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/index.php/areas?area=37

Exit 129 was what I was thinking of. We can go north or south from there.

I've heard that there is a brew pub in Moab that has free WIFI. Moab is the gate way to Canyon Lands and Arches NP's. Also the City Market gas station has the best prices in the area along with groceries. Just throwing thoughts out there to see what sticks.

Mike

I've heard that there is a brew pub in Moab that has free WIFI. Moab is the gate way to Canyon Lands and Arches NP's. Also the City Market gas station has the best prices in the area along with groceries. Just throwing thoughts out there to see what sticks.

Mike

Yeah Mike Moab has a lot of amenities but its not so close by driving distance to the areas we want to explore so that won't work as a meeting spot. If you are looking for a good place to stay closer to our meeting point you could make a reservation at Goblin Valley state park.

OK. I have a better idea of the area to be explored. Ranch exit 129 it is. Be there on the 17th or be square. I have some scrap lumber from a project, should I bring it for a camp fire?

Mike

OK. I have a better idea of the area to be explored. Ranch exit 129 it is. Be there on the 17th or be square. I have some scrap lumber from a project, should I bring it for a camp fire?

Mike

Wood is always good! Let's go ahead and call it Exit 129, 17th of May between noon and 1:00. CHECK THIS THREAD AND FORUM FOR UPDATES ON TIME AND PLACE!

I will likely be in the area a few days earlier probably camped with the Goblins in the luxurious UT state park or in the sickrocks and red dirt at the BLM dry-camp near the Horseshoe Canyon trailhead. If anybody wants to show up a bit early, as D Dog says, these camps are close enough to the Swell and Exit 129 to get there by 1200 hours. And both have interesting day hikes for those who are so inclined.

PS: Mike, I like campfires.

Given my back has gone to hell I'm not sure when I'll head that way. I walked out and visited my camper today but don't think I can open or close it yet :( But I am doing a little better each day, we'll see.

Wood is always good! Let's go ahead and call it Exit 129, 17th of May between noon and 1:00. CHECK THIS THREAD AND FORUM FOR UPDATES ON TIME AND PLACE!

Hmmm, some of my maps show the ranch exit on I-70 as Exit 131 not 129. We'll have to find out what the sign says when we get there, unless there are actually two exits only two miles apart.

Yeah my newer map shows 131 as well. Let's call it 131 and I have your number in case there is some last minute confusion there.

If I remember rightly, there are some dirt frontage roads along there so we shouldn't have any big issues finding the exits and each other. So 131 it is.

gallery_220_29_166.jpg

These pictures were taken down the Ranch Road to the south. There are some spur short roads off of it. Interstate is near the Bluff with the train tracks. Have used this area three times heading to Colorado

Back
Top Bottom