Southern Utah w/ Dog...advice and suggestions sought...

frosty_1

Advanced Member
Hey all,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Southern Utah(from Portland) mid to late May. We really want to bring our 5 month old dog with us, but are concerned about the National Parks and their dog policies(we don't want it to turn into a drive-by, no activity trip..we want to be able to hike with our dog...). Does anyone have any specific places to recommend that are dog friendly? Backcountry is totally fine, we will be in our 4wd 2500HD/Hawk combo. We plan on applying for the Coyote Butte/Wave permit, and need to be in Denver the last weekend of May. Otherwise, open to suggestions for spots to visit, route guidance, etc.

Thanks in advance,

frosty

Pick up a copy of 'Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1' by Laurent Martrés. It is a good coverage of Southern Utah. Cedar Mesa would be an area to focus on.

BTW, the book may be photography oriented, but it is comprehensive coverage of the area, how to get there, and when to be there for best light.

BLM land is going to be a pretty good bet. If you get a Wave permit I believe that dogs are allowed. You can also take dogs on the Buckskin Gulch/Paria trip if you want to get that adventurous. Cottonwood Canyon would be worth checking out, and the San Rafael Swell would be a good place as well.

Dogs are allowed at Tuweep in the CG and on the roads but not on the trails. Pets ARE NOT allowed on the White Rim Trail even in cars.

There are lots of options and numerous places to explore, every time I go down there I seem to find another place that gets marked on the map for a future weeks worth of exploration.

We haven't had any issues taking out 2 labs (1 now deceased) with us to any NPs we have visited thus far out west. However, K-9s must be on a 6' or less leash at all times (regulation) when inside the NP boundaries. But, I've always been able to find an isolated spot where they could run and exercise. And of course, this assumes you have voice command over your dog (and they obey).

Here's the NPS home page...type "pets allowed" in the Seach window and you will get an unsorted, comprehensive list of all NPs where your dog can visit..

And here.

There will be trails within "pets allowed" NPs where pets are prohibited. And you can't leave your dog (pet) unattended in a vehicle or at a campground in a NP either. So plan accordingly.

Just so you know, the wave permits are really hard to come by but there are a lot of places around there that are very nice (some say better). I'd google it.

Also, since you are (I'm assuming) going to go into Kanab to try and get into the lottery for the Wave, you might stop by Best Friends! We usually volunteer there every other year. Great times. We get a pet friendly hotel and leave to the dog there OR they have a few sites at BF's you can reserve (or cabins) but it's kind of fun to be in Kanab. You could volunteer for half-day if you don't want to leave your dogs for too long.

Utah is amazing and lots of places you can disperse camp.

Thank you very much, just ordered the book!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Pick up a copy of 'Photographing the Southwest, Vol 1' by Laurent Martrés. It is a good coverage of Southern Utah. Cedar Mesa would be an area to focus on.

BTW, the book may be photography oriented, but it is comprehensive coverage of the area, how to get there, and when to be there for best light.

Cayuse said:
BLM land is going to be a pretty good bet. If you get a Wave permit I believe that dogs are allowed. You can also take dogs on the Buckskin Gulch/Paria trip if you want to get that adventurous. Cottonwood Canyon would be worth checking out, and the San Rafael Swell would be a good place as well.

Dogs are allowed at Tuweep in the CG and on the roads but not on the trails. Pets ARE NOT allowed on the White Rim Trail even in cars.

There are lots of options and numerous places to explore, every time I go down there I seem to find another place that gets marked on the map for a future weeks worth of exploration.
Thank you! We will be sure to check out Cottonwood Canyon and the San Rafael Swell! I kind of figure we'll mostly stick to BLM land, as we don't want to be confined to the car the entire trip.

Advmoto18 said:
We haven't had any issues taking out 2 labs (1 now deceased) with us to any NPs we have visited thus far out west. However, K-9s must be on a 6' or less leash at all times (regulation) when inside the NP boundaries. But, I've always been able to find an isolated spot where they could run and exercise. And of course, this assumes you have voice command over your dog (and they obey).

Here's the NPS home page...type "pets allowed" in the Seach window and you will get an unsorted, comprehensive list of all NPs where your dog can visit..

And here.

There will be trails within "pets allowed" NPs where pets are prohibited. And you can't leave your dog (pet) unattended in a vehicle or at a campground in a NP either. So plan accordingly.
advmoto, thank you for the tips and link!

kmcintyre said:
Just so you know, the wave permits are really hard to come by but there are a lot of places around there that are very nice (some say better). I'd google it.

Also, since you are (I'm assuming) going to go into Kanab to try and get into the lottery for the Wave, you might stop by Best Friends! We usually volunteer there every other year. Great times. We get a pet friendly hotel and leave to the dog there OR they have a few sites at BF's you can reserve (or cabins) but it's kind of fun to be in Kanab. You could volunteer for half-day if you don't want to leave your dogs for too long.

Utah is amazing and lots of places you can disperse camp.
Yes, I have read the Wave permits are super hard to get(like 5% chance online)...we figure we'll try online on Feb 1st and see what happens...

Thanks for the tip about Best Friends...our pup is a rescue and this is right up our alley!

Frosty_1 said:
Thank you very much, just ordered the book!
If you like the SW, the other two volumes are equally informative.

I forgot to mention the Edge of Cedars museum, in Blanding. I highly recommend spending a few hours (or more) there.

Frosty_1 said:
Thank you! We will be sure to check out Cottonwood Canyon and the San Rafael Swell! I kind of figure we'll mostly stick to BLM land, as we don't want to be confined to the car the entire trip.

advmoto, thank you for the tips and link!

Yes, I have read the Wave permits are super hard to get(like 5% chance online)...we figure we'll try online on Feb 1st and see what happens...

Thanks for the tip about Best Friends...our pup is a rescue and this is right up our alley!
If you do the Best Friends route and Kanab, the wave permits (BLM office?) is there in Kanab and you can try to get a walk-in permit too. I think they do 10 a day via a drawing in the morning, each day.

Best Friends is a very worthwhile experience. It is a great organization. My daughter and I spent a couple days there last spring and I would go back in a heartbeat, you will have to leave the pup with a sitter or at a pet friendly hotel while volunteering as they don't allow volunteers to bring their own pets.

I've taken two trips to southern Utah with my two dogs. In the National Parks you can not take your dogs on the hiking trails, so I have stayed away from the parks. But there is no shortage of wonderful cool places to go with your dogs. The Wedge, Buckhorn Draw, the San Rafael Swell, Cedar Mesa, the Grand Staircase Escalante, Cottonwood Canyon, Long Canyon, Muley Point ... For ideas look in 2014 and 2016: https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

Back
Top Bottom