Spring has arrived

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
Happy spring everyone.I don't think "winter" is quite over but it's nice to have flowers in bloom and sunny days.

Go out and enjoy.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4044.jpg
    DSCN4044.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN4045.jpg
    DSCN4045.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 104
Nice! Coming home from Jalama a couple of weeks ago I saw my first lone poppy blooming north of Santa Barbara...the hills around Point Mugu are starting to show signs of life as well. Bring it on.

spring where we live; perfect,always flowers,always warm.

summer,perfect,always flowers,always a little warmer.

fall,perfect,always flowers,always a little cooler.

winter,perfect,always flowers,always a little cooler,but never cold.

do we love the desert or not!

drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Les,lqhikers.

Spring, in Central Oregon!
ohmy.gif

This is the major Cascades-crossing highway connecting central Oregon (Bend, etc.) and the Willamette Valley of western Oregon, closed yesterday for much of the day.

gallery_2431_332_36569.jpg

Stuck in a Santiam slide
Published: March 22. 2012 4:00AM PST

ODOT Incident Response Team members David Moyer, left, and Todd Mundinger work with motorist Ryan Butler, of Bend, to dig out a vehicle buried by snow slides Wednesday near Hogg Rock on Santiam Pass. A foot to a foot and a half of new snow overnight triggered several slides in the area, which trapped multiple cars and closed U.S. Highway 20 for six hours. No injuries were reported.

Nice! Coming home from Jalama a couple of weeks ago I saw my first lone poppy blooming north of Santa Barbara...the hills around Point Mugu are starting to show signs of life as well. Bring it on.

My crocus (that spelled right) just popped up in the front yard-only not through the snow like usual at this time of year; what a winter we didn't have-well, it's time to head out and see if I can keep myself "UnstucK' and start having adventures with my nice new rear springs and hopefully newly mounted jerry cans and other things I bought this winter, like my new strong-back chair---I'm ready!

Smoke

Abundant spring rain in Oregon the past 24 hours! (too bad my electronic rain-gauge isn't working
sad.gif
)
Look at all that moisture streaming in
ohmy.gif
:
VIS4.GIF (from my favorite satellite view)
At 40°F the rain doesn't feel very spring-like, though.
dry.gif

NWS has issued a "Small Stream Flood Advisory" for the next 24 hours for east-of-the-cascades, and I expect the west-side (the wet-side) is worse.

Higher up, at Mt. Bachelor Ski area, they've received 11" of snow in the past 24 hours...though at 28 - 32°, it's not exactly primo powder:"Snow Surface - Groomed runs feature ideal corduroy with a heavier snow on top. Off the groomed, it's cascade concrete, a thicker and heavier snow."
And weather conditions aren't exactly blue-bird:"Current Weather - Snowing & blowing. Mid-mountain winds are about 25-35 mph with higher gusts. Visibility is limited. "
At least they're being honest about the conditions...which isn't something they've been known for historically.
rolleyes.gif

Abundant spring rain in Oregon the past 24 hours! (too bad my electronic rain-gauge isn't working
sad.gif
)
ohmy.gif
:
View attachment 13897 (from my favorite satellite view)
dry.gif

NWS has issued a "Small Stream Flood Advisory" for the next 24 hours for east-of-the-cascades, and I expect the west-side (the wet-side) is worse.

Higher up, at Mt. Bachelor Ski area, they've received 11" of snow in the past 24 hours...though at 28 - 32°, it's not exactly primo powder:"Snow Surface - Groomed runs feature ideal corduroy with a heavier snow on top. Off the groomed, it's cascade concrete, a thicker and heavier snow."
And weather conditions aren't exactly blue-bird:

"Current Weather - Snowing & blowing. Mid-mountain winds are about 25-35 mph with higher gusts. Visibility is limited. "
At least they're being honest about the conditions...which isn't something they've been known for historically.
rolleyes.gif

Sure feels like spring now, snowed yesterday, windy, cold and rainy today with flashes of bright sun, suppossed to be like this all next week-may be worth a quick trip up to Eagle Lake to see if it is thawed out yet, and take the dog for a swim! Yet Reno is supposed to hit 70 this week-what ever you want, you get here in the East side-especially what you don't want it so you can play!

Smoke

It snowed here in Bend overnight...not much, but the ground is white.
ohmy.gif

gallery_2431_332_251660.jpg

(that's my weather station standing sentry in white)

"Spring" in central Oregon usually is a mixture of winter-like and summer-like -- mostly winter near the beginning and mostly summer near the end, rather than 3 months of intermediate weather.

Woke up this morning to snow and it's cold-yep:LOL:--it's spring!

The overnight low was 21°F at my house, which is a typical mid-winter low for Bend.
ohmy.gif

sad.gif
)
ohmy.gif
:
View attachment 13897 (from my favorite satellite view)
dry.gif

And weather conditions aren't exactly blue-bird:"Current Weather - Snowing & blowing. Mid-mountain winds are about 25-35 mph with higher gusts. Visibility is limited. "
rolleyes.gif

Sierra Nevada (north) now reporting 73% avg. water content in our snowpack. :)
I think before this round of late winter/early spring storms we were around 37%.
Last weekend up at Castle Peak was excellent ski touring. :D :D :D

Peter Grubb Hut

Looks nice, Andy!

And good news that the northern Sierras are getting a snow-pack closer to normal. :)

In the Deschutes River basin (east side of the central Oregon Cascades) they now say we're a little over normal for snow-pack.
smile.gif

Woke up this morning to snow and it's cold-yep:LOL:--it's spring! and my life begins anew with start of Giants baseball!

Smoke

Was in Scottsdale last week with my sis for Giants spring training. It was sweet. High '80s. Giants won two of the three games we were at. Ahhh, spring in AZ.

On the local front, our forecast is for thunderstorms over the weekend. It's not time for the monsoon, but looks like some moisture from the gulf is moving north.

Was in Scottsdale last week with my sis for Giants spring training. It was sweet. High '80s. Giants won two of the three games we were at. Ahhh, spring in AZ.

On the local front, our forecast is for thunderstorms over the weekend. It's not time for the monsoon, but looks like some moisture from the gulf is moving north.

Always wanted to make spring training, maybe will one day. 1630 on Friday, opening day back east, also pick up my new 22 Mag. rifle on Friday, probably worth a drink, could be a good day:LOL:

Smoke

In Redmond, OR -- about 15 miles north of Bend (not to be confused with Redmond, WA -- home of Microsoft) they hit a record low temperature for April 6 this morning: 16°F.
ohmy.gif

Yep, that's spring in Central Oregon!
rolleyes.gif

10/10 spring conditions at Whistler yesterday! Hands down best après ski of the year :D

smugshot4956681-L.jpg

And I got my steed out the day before. Spring has definitely sprung.

smugshot7986907-L.jpg

A sign of spring at my place:
I opened a few windows in my house this afternoon -- first time I've had windows open in months!
smile.gif

I noticed it was 64°F outside, and 64 is close enough to "warm" (in Bend, in April) that I figured it was time for some atmospheric exchange:
OUT with the bad air, IN with the good!
biggrin.gif

After a couple of hours I heard the furnace turn on...so I took that as a hint to close the windows again. Nice while it lasted. ;)

A sign of spring at my place:
I opened a few windows in my house this afternoon -- first time I've had windows open in months!
smile.gif

I noticed it was 64°F outside, and 64 is close enough to "warm" (in Bend, in April) that I figured it was time for some atmospheric exchange:
OUT with the bad air, IN with the good!
biggrin.gif

After a couple of hours I heard the furnace turn on...so I took that as a hint to close the windows again. Nice while it lasted. ;)

Yep. 75 in Reno yesterday, hot here, today windy cold and in the 40's and supposed to rain and snow all week, spring has sprung, unless we don't have summer this year-had no winter!:(

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom